Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In honor of International Women's Day, Apple today updated its iTunes stores to highlight movies and TV shows created by, starring, and featuring women.

The iTunes store for movies, for example, has a main section highlighting 10 actresses and filmmakers, including Amma Asante, Laia Costa, Tae Ri Kim, Meera Menon, Ruth Negga, and more. There's a separate section focusing on women directors, and multiple movies starring women are highlighted in the app carousel, including Jackie, Arrival, Moana, Fences, and Edge of Seventeen.

itunesinternationalwomensday.jpg

Separately, there are also several "Like a Girl" movie categories: Act "Like a Girl," Fight "Like a Girl," Direct "Like a Girl," and Write "Like a Girl," along with categories for specific actors and directors that showcase entire catalogs of work.

Apple's TV section includes a "Bold Women" section, and highlights TV shows with prominent female actresses and creators like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Insecure, Westworld, Steven Universe, and more. Categories like Women of Comedy, Bold Dramas Created by Women, Bold Girls, and Women of Reality TV are also available.

There's a small section on the iBooks Store featuring "More Hidden Figures," but other than that, the promotion is limited to the TV and Movie stores, with no changes to Apple Music or the App Store.

Update: Apple has added several Apple Music playlists celebrating International Women's Day.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates International Women's Day on iTunes With Featured Movies and TV Shows [Update: Apple Music Too]

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I looked at the MR headlines for every March 8th going back to 2014. Apple has either never commemorated this day before or they did and MR didn't cover it (which seems unlikely).

So, Apple, why did you choose to commemorate this day this year?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
There is a difference in what a woman knows and how society treats her. THAT is the reason for this day.

'How society treats her' -- what does that mean? How does "society" treat women? I know quite a few women who make six figure salaries, have great families, and love life. I've never once heard any of them say that they feel mistreated by society.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Such political garbage. Every woman I know, knows that she's equal and doesn't need a special day to celebrate her gender or whine about her "oppression."
That may be your perception. In certain cultures and areas, women feel uncomfortable talking about this issue because fear or retribution. If you look at salary data, there is a clear disparity in pay for similar jobs. Furthermore, women are often discriminated against for missing work for having children or needing to take them to the doctor, etc. Many women in bigger cities get cat-called and many inappropriate comments made towards them every single day as they walk to and from work. Even my wife, while in middle school in a smaller town, while walking home had construction workers hollering after her. She was by no means wearing anything revealing (and even so, men have no right to do that), she just developed breasts a little earlier than the other girls in school.

We like to think that our society has changed, but as a man, I can't know what it's like. Anecdotal evidence that sexism is dead—especially if you're a man saying this—is flawed logic by default. It's like a white person saying racism doesn't exist because they don't see it. I was this person a few years ago. I didn't realize what was going on. I work at a university and it wasn't until we started speaking with our students more about these issues that we were able to understand how many racist incidents occur away from other white people when the racist feels like they have an opportunity to put the minority in their place. It's predatory and wrong and many white people don't know because they literally don't ever see it. I imagine the same when it comes to women. Predatory men harass them away from other men because it makes them feel powerful, like they can put the woman in her place. This is often due to the man feeling inadequate in some area of his life. The fact that we have a president who has said disgusting things about women, including bragging about sexual assault, is proof that we haven't come very far. As a man, I can honestly say that I haven't talked like that, and there is no excuse for talking like that. I feel shame that in my younger days I didn't speak up more to tell other guys in the locker room to stop talking like that. But even so when I heard guys talking like that to a woman's face you can bet I had words with them. It happens all the time.

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
Is there a way to find the Apple Music playlists in the Music iOS app? I'm not really seeing anything relevant under curated playlists...

Nagy Dávid

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
That may be your perception. In certain cultures and areas, women feel uncomfortable talking about this issue because fear or retribution. If you look at salary data, there is a clear disparity in pay for similar jobs. Furthermore, women are often discriminated against for missing work for having children or needing to take them to the doctor, etc. Many women in bigger cities get cat-called and many inappropriate comments made towards them every single day as they walk to and from work. Even my wife, while in middle school in a smaller town, while walking home had construction workers hollering after her. She was by no means wearing anything revealing (and even so, men have no right to do that), she just developed breasts a little earlier than the other girls in school.

We like to think that our society has changed, but as a man, I can't know what it's like. Anecdotal evidence that sexism is dead—especially if you're a man saying this—is flawed logic by default. It's like a white person saying racism doesn't exist because they don't see it. I was this person a few years ago. I didn't realize what was going on. I work at a university and it wasn't until we started speaking with our students more about these issues that we were able to understand how many racist incidents occur away from other white people when the racist feels like they have an opportunity to put the minority in their place. It's predatory and wrong and many white people don't know because they literally don't ever see it. I imagine the same when it comes to women. Predatory men harass them away from other men because it makes them feel powerful, like they can put the woman in her place. This is often due to the man feeling inadequate in some area of his life. The fact that we have a president who has said disgusting things about women, including bragging about sexual assault, is proof that we haven't come very far. As a man, I can honestly say that I haven't talked like that, and there is no excuse for talking like that. I feel shame that in my younger days I didn't speak up more to tell other guys in the locker room to stop talking like that. But even so when I heard guys talking like that to a woman's face you can bet I had words with them. It happens all the time.
You are clearly brainwashed.

I just want to point out one thing from you fairy tail. The salary thing is not legal in many countries. It is a myth...

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008

I didn't realize women were a different species that another human could not relate to. Also the salary thing has been debunked over and over. You think some women dont talk about men a certain way? Everyone is unique and different. And that also means there's no widespread conspiracy against women.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You are clearly brainwashed.

I just want to point out one thing from you fairy tail. The salary thing is not legal in many countries. It is a myth...
I'm the brainwashed one? Have you even seen what is happening at companies like Uber, or do you work there? There is a difference between what is legal and what is followed. There's a huge difference between a woman knowing she is equal, and a woman being treated equal.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Well, if we're going to play that game, sweeping generalizations made by @2010mini and others about how "society treats women" don't prove anything or say anything, either.
"Oh mommy look he did it too."
This doesn't concern @2010mini as no anecdotal experience was posted.
Man up to your own comment, no need to involve others.

Reactions: macduke

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I didn't realize women were a different species that another human could not relate to. Also the salary thing has been debunked over and over. You think some women dont talk about men a certain way? Everyone is unique and different. And that also means there's no widespread conspiracy against women.
It's not a conspiracy, it's a culture. A culture that has long been male-dominant that feels threatened by the equality of women, full stop.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Because it's a fact that men and women are not equals?? Or are you judging all feminists as a whole because of a few?
Well it is a fact. We are not equals by design. Equal implies being identical and we are not.

At any rate women are once again being exploited by men to make a buck. But everyone is too progressive to see that.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Well it is a fact. We are not equals by design. Equal implies being identical and we are not.

At any rate women are once again being exploited by men to make a buck. But everyone is too progressive to see that.

Definitely equal. Just different: 2+2=1+3

But feminists don't want to be equal. They want dominance and to punish men simply for their perceived slights against them.

Nagy Dávid

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
Lively comment section. I wonder how many forum members are women? I'm going to make an easy guess of below 10%. Which also helps explain the vitriol that pops up in here sometimes. Male trash talk.
The same amount as in underground coal mines probably. They have other interest I think.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA

Sweet lord. I am astonished at what people think and say sometimes.

I can not believe you're not humiliated by saying that.

Last edited:
Reactions: milo and CarlJ

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The thing that I hate most about the Trump presidency is all of the racists, bigots and chauvinists who now suddenly have the balls to scream their fringe views from the rooftops. They now think it's fine to make bomb threats to Jewish community centers, kill Indians because they think they're Muslim (yeah, that shooting happened down the street from my mother-in-law's house), kill Sikhs because they wear turbans, ban religions, say that racism doesn't exist and attempt to dismantle women's rights. Do you guys even know how many women are sexually assaulted during their life? It's about one in four. Women equality has a long way to go. It's not about making them more equal, it's not about giving them special privileges. It's about changing the minds of men so that they treat them fairly in all aspects, including the workplace, the bedroom, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.