Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today that they would be offering a special digital box set containing Led Zeppelin's entire discography, "The Complete Led Zeppelin," for exclusive pre-order on iTunes.
We're excited to offer Led Zeppelin's entire catalog as a special digital box set with this pre-order," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "Now you can get all of the band's albums with one click for an incredible $99."

Led Zeppelin's entire catalog of songs and albums will also be available for individual purchase and download beginning November 13. Led Zeppelin had been one of the high profile hold-outs on digital distribution of their music.

Article Link

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Excellent! I have all the albums on vinyl (stolen from my dad's record collection :D ) but have never got around to getting versions I can listen to on my iPod.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Wahoo!!! Time to get the Led out! Excellent news!!! I can only hope this will be available in iTunes Plus format... Otherwise, I'll stick to me ripped CD's with Apple Lossless format...

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Dunno why but this is the first thing that popped into my head...

1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY THAT WHEN THET COULD GET THIS AMAZING BOX OF CDS WITH GREAT PACKAGING FOR LESS!!! AT AMAZON:

Complete Studio Recordings [BOX SET] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Led Zeppelin

More about this product
List Price: $129.98
Price: $89.97 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $40.01 (31%)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Fantastic! I've always been a distant admirer of Led Zeppelin, might have to get this box set.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
One thing that should be made clear is that the decision to hold out had not entirely been the band's and it wasn't over philosophical grounds either. It was essentially a money dispute.

There was a legal dispute between Led Zeppelin and Atlantic Records that began in 2002 in which they claimed Atlantic was shafting them on royalties. Furthermore, there was a bidding war between publishers that lasted several years which ended with Warner/Chappell guaranteeing higher royalties than in their prior agreement, and distributing via Warner Music Group.

Normally bands don't have this kind of leverage, because they aren't typically the copyright owners. But when Led Zeppelin originally licensed the songs under Superhype Music, they were in a 26 year agreement at the end of the term of which the copyrights reverted to the members of the band. From there they've provided publishers like Warner Chappell mechanical license to reproduce the works while retaining ownership. But that isn't typically how it works. It could have been because Led Zeppelin's earliest recordings were largely self financed... but when an artist gets an advance from a record label, that is a loan and the record company holds all copyrights in the material even after the loan is repaid through the recoupment process.

Today, few artists are smart enough to demand such agreements and consequently end up indebted to the record labels when sales start to slip.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Furthermore, there was a bidding war between publishers that lasted several years which ended with Warner/Chappell guaranteeing higher royalties than in their prior agreement, and distributing via Warner Music Group.

Does this mean that they wont be iTunes Plus ?

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
This would be better if it included all the rare live recordings (more like the complete U2) which weren't available in the U.S.:

BBC Sessions (1 & 2)
Black Mountain Side
Bron-yr-ar-stomp
Final Cut (Knebworth)
Moma Don't wanna play no skif

etc

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I don't see what this has to do with what i said.

You mentioned who they were distributing with didn't you, and I wondered if they were offering iTunes Plus music or not. I they aren't, I don't see why this album would be an exception.

winstano

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2005
You know what'd be great? If you could actually download stuff off the store today! Been trying for about 2 hours to download some stuff, and I can't get ANYTHING... "Network connection was reset" error every single time!

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
You mentioned who they were distributing with didn't you, and I wondered if they were offering iTunes Plus music or not. I they aren't, I don't see why this album would be an exception.

That depends... this is a bit of a different licensing deal. Most artists today don't own the rights and they're pretty much subject to whatever terms are inked by the record company for digital distribution with iTunes.

But Led Zeppelin could stipulate either way... that they want iTunes Plus or they don't want iTunes Plus distribution, and whoever was bidding on the mechanical rights would have to agree to their terms apart from whatever else they were doing with the copyright material that they (the record label and/or publisher) own.

I meant to say that based on the information I presented, I don't see how one could ascertain either way without knowing what Led Zeppelin actually agreed to allow as part of the licensing deal.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
That's cool, but I've already owned the Complete Studio Recordings box set for the past 5 years :) It's a great collection of music. I highly recommend it if you don't already own the physical Zepp box set.

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
interesting to see

I'd be curious to see how many completists who want the full box with liner notes, packaging, etc. will purchase the physical set and how many people will opt instead for the digital set @ iTunes. My guess is that many fans would like a physically tangible object, but I'm not sure of how many people spend any interacting with their CD packaging these days. (With the music digitized, the few box sets that I've held on to are packed away in a closet.)

I suppose you could buy the physical box, digitize it, and then it to a resale shop to recoup some of the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.