Apple iWatch Day 9 Observations & Questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by woolie, Jul 3, 2015.

1. woolie, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

woolie macrumors newbie

woolie

Siri - Extremely limited search capability

Observation: Rarely answers any question no matter how simple.

Example: Siri could not tell me what my phone # was & it sent me to my iPhone. iWatch has my phone # in the contacts app.

QUESTION: Are there any known plans or rumors saying Apple is going to fix this disaster?

Calendar - Extremely limited viewing ability

Observation: It only displays events the next 7 days.

Example: If someone asks you what you are doing next weekend you MUST go to the iPhone.

QUESTION: The modular iWatch provides the option to display calendar info. In the first 9 days, calendar data has show up once & then for only a few hours. Why does the calendar data refuse to be displayed on the modular watch face?

Address book - This is an app that Apple does not want you to find!

Observation: This is the largest app on my iWatch at 16.7 MB. It took 9 days to locate it. I found it by accident. It was buried in the map app.

Example: Go to the map app & press and it really hard 4 or 5 times. 2 options appear, search & contacts. Press contacts several times and eventually contacts list appear. Go to desired contact & you will see 2 symbols (phone & message). DO NOT TOUCH PHONE SYMBOL, it immediately starts calling & stopping the call is near impossible. Now press the message symbol & your contact data appears. May I repeat again, that Siri can not find this data.

QUESTION: Why is address book not located on the top screen with all the other apps?

Activity & Workout - A totally confused mess

Observation: I bought iWatch instead of Fitbit was because of Apple’s advertised simplicity. It couldn’t be further from the truth.

Example #1: Take a simple thing like steps data. Daily step data shows up on 3 apps on the iWatch & then you go to your iPhone and find step data on 2 additional apps. You have to look at 5 apps on 2 devices to get a complete picture of your daily steps. On my wife’s Fitbit all data shows up on ONE app!!! She bought the cheapest Fitbit & it even shows you on a map where you walked when you exercised. If this feature exists on the iWatch, it is buried someplace & I haven’t found it.

Example #2 “Exercise” is another source of insanity. So far it’s results are totally irrational. Every day I walk a 3.5 miles in a hour. Yesterday, while dressing & getting ready to walk it said I had exercised 17 minutes, then I walked 3.5 miles in an hour & it gave 0 minutes for exercising. Today, walked the same 3.5 miles & it said I exercised 55 minutes.

QUESTION 1: Why can’t Apple put all health & exercise data in 1 app instead of 5 apps & also related map data on the iWatch?

QUESTION 2: Why doesn’t Apple provide answers on how to improve our move & exercise values?

QUESTION 3: Why do the exercise apps not close when you press the X symbol? Currently you must suspend it & press repeatedly on the X to stop the app.

Heart- This is another app Apple does not want you to find!

Observation: Apple features the heart app in their advertising, but actually hides the app.

Example: Heart app can only be found in Glances or Exercise app.

QUESTION 1: Why is heart data results so dysfunctional? It shows data in gory detail then go hours without showing any.

QUESTION 2: Why is the heart app not located on the top screen with all the other apps? It is far more important than a stop watch app?

QUESTION 3: Why can I not determine how often I want to see my heart data, like every 1, 5, 10 etc minutes or even hourly, because the current data collection method is irrational & useless?

Wifi - A totally confused mess

Observation: iWatch wifi does not work

Example: iWatch would not connect to my Airport Extreme, nor would Airport Extreme recognize it even existed. Finally I posted the problem on Mac Rumors & they provided the solution, you have to reset the Airport Extreme to get your iWatch wifi to work. Some people have posted this is not a problem.

QUESTION:The far bigger problem is iWatch is unable to connect with Starbucks wifi. This means you are not only tethered to your iPhone, but to your wifi at home. Some apps demand more than a bluetooth connection, they also require a wifi connection as well, so as soon as you leave home your iWatch capabilities start degrading.

QUESTION 1: Why did Apple choose the most archaic wireless standard (2.4)?

QUESTION 2: Why does Apple not want our iWatches connecting with the outside world via wifi?

QUESTION 3: Is connecting to the outside world via wifi a hardware fix or a software fix?

Glances - Useless

Observation: It is far easier to press the icons on the top level screen.

Example: It only works if you are on your watch app, which means wherever you are, you have to go back to the watch face, swipe up, the scroll right or left till you find the app you want to open. If this is some kind of app tray to simplify your life, it failed!

The only app I left in the glance app is the heart app.

OVERALL COMMENTS:

#1 Why has Apple totally abandoned its KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle from the Steve Jobs era?

#2 Would anyone be always carrying a MacAir to make their iPhone work? So why does Apple think we want to be tethered to the iPhone to make the iWatch work? Any app that needs to be tethered iPhone should not be allowed on the iWatch.

I’m returning my iWatch. I love the concept, but the implementation of it is far below Apples normal standards of simplicity. Will buy whatever version in the future that is connectable to public wifi systems similar to Starbucks & has single source info apps like Fitbit and apps that are not tethered to the iPhone.

2. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Like you said, buy a future version that connects to Starbucks, that should fix all your problems and stick to the Fitbit until Apple gets it right.........Apple has absolutely no idea

3. c55 macrumors regular

c55

1. It's an Apple Watch, not an iWatch

2. You made some great points and some really dumb points. I agree Siri is very limited. Activity is also spread out too much. I think Glances would work much better if you could scroll through it with the crown instead of swiping. But remember this is the first generation, we've only had one tiny update. This device didn't exist a year ago. Apple will refine watchOS like they did with iOS and OS X. And my guess is that the Watch will be very successful

4. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

Should read "similar to public wifi systems, such as Starbucks"

5. exxxviii, Jul 3, 2015

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I agree on limitations, but I have been OK with how these are setup. Once I figured out Hey Siri, it has answered all that I needed it to do. Calendar, I only care about today on the watch view. Address book, I have not had a need on the watch.
    This is my soap box. For all that Apple touted the fitness and health aspects, it is a hot mess. It is like Apple ignored all of the progress that fitness tracking and exercise devices made over the last decade only to introduce something already half-a-decade out of date. It is so bad that it is hard to imagine that Apple can even fix it. They need to pick one from Workout, Health, or Activity, and center everything in the one app.
    I think the HR function is fine. It is a glance, and that is where it should be. Having a separate app might be consistent with their design mode, but it is also redundant. I suspect they will fix the heart reading problem. That was just a stupid judgement call.
    I am OK with Wi-Fi too. Apple meant for this to be invisible and managed by the watch for the benefit of the watch. It just seems to magically work as I need it, when I need it. My hunch is it will not work on public Wi-Fi environments that require a MAC-based authentication, like Starbucks. But, it works on many other WiFi environments I have used without MAC authentication.
    Glances are awesome. The trick to glances is to think of it as a quick launch for your favorites stuff. I eliminated all the apps from Glances that I have on my complications, like calendar, weather, and activity. It is pretty lean. I just have Shazam, Dark Sky (I might remove it from Glances, since it is a little redundant with weather), Heart, and Battery. I may add Delta or Passbook when I am traveling.
    I kind of disagree with the simplification. If anything, Apple oversimplified the watch to the point that health and fitness are borderline useless. (They went simpleton instead of simple.) However, they nailed simplification in other areas like Heart, Wi-Fi, and Glances. I would not count on the AW ever working in a public Wi-Fi until it gets its own entire Wi-Fi interface with a browser. That will definitely violate the simplification mindset.

6. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

My wife, daughter & grand daughter all have Fitbits... I was blown away when they showed me the one app exercise reporting system, that was far superior to iWatch... My grand daughter went through my iWatch today and was amazed at its complexity and the constant need to be tethered to the iPhone... Nobody in my family wants one...

7. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

Thanks for your input... I do not grasp the details of wifi connectivity... We travel extensively around the world & wifi is beyond crucial for connectivity... We look for Starbuck or McDonalds for the easiest & safest connectivity... However there are many places they do not exist. I have been in scary places in 3rd world countries in back alleys using the their internet systems & so I get ticked when Apple starts using 2.4 & cutting back in general on ability to stay connected.

8. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

Thanks for your reply, I love your crown idea, it is a great solution.

9. Roller macrumors 68020

Contacts is one of the options in the Phone app, along with favorites, recent calls, and voicemail. I find glances very useful, though as exxxviii noted, it helps if you choose them carefully. Although I agree that the Apple Watch has limitations, it's only the first iteration with the initial software release. The Fitbit may be a better choice for people who just want fitness monitoring, but that's not primarily what I bought the Apple Watch for.

10. exxxviii, Jul 3, 2015

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yep, Fitbit rules this space. They are overwhelming the global dominator in fitness tracking devices and supporting software. I still carry my Fitbit zip, because the holistic environment is vastly superior to the Apple fitness tracking supporting tools.
    It sounds like you want an iPhone on your wrist. Currently, there are few to no devices in the world that do what you want here. There are some combo phone/watch devices, and there are a few watch devices with full Wi-Fi capability. But, those are pretty crude at this stage.

First, 2.4GHz is not a serious limitation. All Wi-Fi hot spot devices have 2.4GHz as primary and 5GHz as secondary. 2.4 GHz has better range and generally better accessibility. 5GHz is best suited for high bandwidth needs, but it suffers in range. So only giving the watch 2.4GHz guarantees it will work everywhere, and it does not need the speed of 5GHz.

Next, if the watch will connect to any Wi-Fi network, it will need a user interface on the watch that will let you enter a browser authentication page to accept the host's terms & conditions. Given the screen size of a watch, that is pretty much impossible. However, they could do it if you are tethered to a phone, and just use the phone's browser to proxy for the watch. However, if you must be tethered to the phone to get the watch on a Wi-Fi network, then you really do not need the watch to be on that Wi-FI network, because you have the phone.

My recommendation: Get a Fitbit Surge or Fitbit Charge. Both are best of breed fitness trackers. However, they do not have Wi-Fi.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Most of the people here who returned their Apple watch did not do any research before buying. If they did they would know its not an iPhone you wear on your wrist and it's not a Nintendo DS to entertain you. It has limited functionality and is dependent on the iPhone it is paired with. All this information was provided by Apple before its release.

It's a device that tells time and gives you information quickly at a glance. It's not for everyone.

12. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

Thank you for your reply... Appreciate your comments about 2.4... Concerning wifi connectivity, at home I don't need to carry my phone around because for the watch to work, wifi frees me... Before I was always carrying my phone or trying to find out where I laid it down... Now you just use the phone on your wrist... When you leave home, those apps requiring wifi connectivity quit working... At Starbucks or any place like it, the iPhone connects to its wifi, however the wifi on the watch does not, thus you are phone dependent again for the reason you mentioned... Maybe it is farfetched, but I think not... The phone feature is great on the watch, you do not have to pull the phone out of your pocket to talk on it, which is great when your driving or walking or at a restaurant... The other day while eating with friends, my watch tapped me to let me know I had a call. Nobody at the table knew it & I glanced at my watch & saw that is was a call that could take place later... It allows me to have more people time with less distractions...

I hate wires & like things smaller, which explains why I dumped my Mac Air and bought the new MacBook, which by the way is awesome, despite the negative press...

13. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

14. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

Research was extremely limited because very few people have the watches... The info Apple provided does not match the product expectations they raised. I reviewed forums on various sites to get a feel for the product's quality.
    I saw the negative comments about the watch, but there no real baseline to compare it to other than Fitbit. With Apple's continual push to provide simplistic devices for complex tasks & my past ten years of buying almost a dozen of their products that supported that philosophy, I decided to gamble... Unfortunately, I lost...

I just read a major review on the watch yesterday, and it's major theme was the same as mine... The product is needlessly complex & that Ive's replacements top priority should bring back Apple's heritage, of providing simplistic interfaces to complex products, lest they start losing their customer base...

If I wanted a phone, I would have never bought this... If that part works it's purely frosting on the cake...

15. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

People always like touting simplicity, but you tell me how things could be simpler? Aside from the Workout/Health/Activity mess, which I agree is unnecessarily confusing. The rest of the interface is fairly simple for something with this type of functionality.

16. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

If you had to hard press 4-5 times to get any of the force touch features to work, then you might have had a defective watch. Force touching once on the maps brings up the search and contact options for me, no struggle, no multiple presses. I have 4 items in my glances, it has potential but with using the Chronograph face, I have the rest covered with complications instead of hiding in glances.

17. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

The major reason I bought the watch was for the Workout/Health/Activity... I thought they would improve on Fitbit etc... That has been Apple's history, taking existing products then make a product that is far superior in every way... Unfortunately it has been far inferior in every way... Which to me is shocking...

The rest of the interface is fairly simple, when it works. Glances only works about 10% of the time. Maps did not work as it kept telling me how to go home every 10 or 15 minutes for two full days... It's stop button on that absolutely refused to work... It finally quit on its own, probably from exhaustion. The contact button on the map did not work for days despite repeated tries. Siri rarely works except to tell me to go to the iPhone and find my answer... Other apps keep telling they can't work after I leave home... I could go on, but what's the point the overall product is a rough beta & we are the beta testers... As Steve Jobs use to say, "It just works!" They apparently buried that simple work ethic with him.

18. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Research was extremely limited? Apple had live working units in their retail stores as of April 10 (plenty of time to cancel if you pre-ordered).

I walked in, tried on the one I pre-ordered and then went to the wall to play with the live unit.

20. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

Thank you for your input, I am glad to see your watch is working as it should... Maybe mind was built on Monday! Someone suggested to me that using the dial mechanism would improve glances usability & I concurred...

Despite of the rough start, I look forward to a much better watch in the future...

21. woolie thread starter macrumors newbie

woolie

I went to a number of Apple stores up & down the coast & the sales people were only concerned about it fit your wrist. They had very limited knowledge & was told that the test models were basically canned demos... So I didn't push the issue any further... It appears your experience was better & I am happy for you.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's not an issue of being happy or not. I'm just saying if you played with the wall unit you have seen its fully functional.

Anyway, sorry it didn't work out for you. I love mine for what it is.

23. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

I thought the Apple Watch is as simple as i gets. Everything works as expected for me. My expectations were not unrealistic and I knew this wasn't an iPhone replacement. Yes, info would take a bit longer to update every once in a while but this is what comes with owning 1st gen tech. Things can only improve as it matures.

If you want to see further than 7 days on your calendar, get Sunrise Calendar.

If you want added motoring of your HR, get PulsePro which works with Health app and the Apple Watch.

24. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Reported jk

25. David58117 macrumors 65816

Something is wrong with your model.

Contacts only work 10 percent of the time? Thats not normal.

Maps works great for me as well.

When you're not on WiFi, what signal strength and quality on your phone do you get?

I lived in a city with only 3g once, and couldn't get many features to work on my phone. I suspect I would be having issues with the apple watch too if I still lived there.

Also what are you trying to have siri do exactly?

She works great for messages/calls/directions etc. I think I saw a Wikipedia and wolfram entry as well.

But it is a watch, and I think siri is more geared towards situations where you need to make a text or call on the go or need directions. And the dictation has been spot on for me in that regard.