Apple just doesn't "get" music?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jonnyb098, Sep 14, 2014.

1. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't seem to understand people don't want to buy music as much. So what do they do? Put a nice big buy button on the lock screen in iOS 8. (Face palm)

Attached Files:

2. meeks macrumors regular

3. Milese3 macrumors 6502

They clearly get music. Afterall, look at iTunes.

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

On the contrary, the person that doesn't 'get it' is you. You seem to think that because you think or feel a certain way, everyone does. Guess what, they don't. you don't want to buy music anymore, maybe even your friends don't want to buy music anymore. Lots of other folks still do. The button is for them.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

God forbid they give you an option to keep a copy of a song if you like it :rolleyes:

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

While I agree this is annoying, Apple does "get" it when it comes to music.

I think there should be a link in the music app when listening to iTunes Radio, but not on your lock screen.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Did you somehow think Apple was in the free music business? They're in the business of selling it. When you're trying to sell something do you make it as easy as possible to purchase or make people work really hard before you'll take their money for a product sold lots of other places?

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Even Pandora had a link to buy the song you're listening to. Get over it. Not everyone streams.

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

i thougjt this topic would be about the horrible music app itself. in that case i would have agreed, especially on the iPad

10. taedouni macrumors 65816

Why not include it? Some people like to own their things instead of streaming or renting music. It's convenient for those who want to buy something and not a con for people who don't care.

11. jonnyb098, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

Let me be clear I'm not against people buying music. To clarify it just seems like there's a desperation on Apple's part in light of steadily declining music sales. The lock screen is about being informative, not a cash grab. In case anyone hasn't noticed, the music controls are now smashed together especially on the iPad lock screen. The volume slider is obnoxiously close to the play buttons. No doubt this was to accommodate that buy button. There was a story months ago about Apple executives not even knowing what Spotify was and thought it was just a radio service. Moreover, the current iPods are obnoxiously long in the tooth and their only ode to music was to give away a U2 album that less than 1 percent of iTunes users actually downloaded.

Just saying......

12. Geniva macrumors newbie

Wait? There's a buy button on the *lock screen*? As in, I can accidentally butt purchase music?

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Yeah cause when you buy something from iTunes it never asks for your password or fingerprint :rolleyes:

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can hide the iTunes Store under Restrictions. That might remove it.

I like having it too. I still buy music. It's cheaper.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The "big" buy button is about the same size as the word "Live." That's not big. It's not even half the size of an icon on the home screen. It's also got to be on of the least intrusive things I've ever seen on the phone. Go find a site with an ad that floats on top of everything and then complain to us about that itty bitty button.

16. Zxxv Suspended

agree it looks crap. With the wonders of computing the lazy easy way is to paste a buy button. creativity points = zero

dont agree people don't want to buy music.I do. I know others who do. The buy button doesn't connect with me though and makes me less inclined to want to buy because theres less connection. It doesn't mean anything.

17. Dezmond macrumors member

Hasn't bothered me as much. It is smart choice of Apple to place it their, to be honest. The less options you have to click before buying a song the easier it is for people to buy it. Takes away barriers and you get more profit.

What bothers me more is this:
    I love the option in itunes when you click on an album the background changes to match the album artwork. Can't understand why they haven't done this yet in iOS 8, would look so much better then what they have now. They could even reverse text to dark for light background and keep white for dark backgrounds.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

People actually buy music a lot and even for those that don't. The buy button shouldn't be an issue.

19. Zxxv Suspended

Its ugly, therefore not very apple like. IMHO :)

20. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I still buy songs when I really like them. Spotify is more for music discovery for me. I just don't feel right having a music collection that is rented and can go away any time that either:

1) I stop paying for it, or
    2) the rights holders decide to stop offering it on Spotify.

You buy it, it's yours. Forever. On Spotify, it's never yours. Your phone asks for permission to play it every time, even if it's locally cached.

And I say all this as both a Spotify user and an iTunes customer.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

There are also albums with different versions for purchase. I bought the Man of Steel score wih an extra eight tracks you can't play on Beats. Apple could still do some things to persuade ourchasing, namely 5.1 sound. I would love music with the DTS codec, and it would probably be files so large that you would need to purchase and download them. That could easily boost some music sales if they can replicate DTS audio discs I bought about 15 years ago.

22. CPx macrumors 6502

23. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Keep in mind that DTS is lossy, and as such is actually inferior to a regular CD.

The ideal thing would be for them to start offering music downloads in Apple Lossless format. We could then convert that as needed for our devices, yet always have access to the master uncompressed source.

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

iTunes Store has little competition, it has zero rivals that can even come close to what iTunes makes in sales and revenue each year. No one ever talks about how well Zune or Amazon Music sales are doing. Apple 'gets' music better than most other tech companies.

I will agree with you on one small thing: it is somewhat tacky to put a BUY button on a lock screen. But that can easily be fixed since iOS8 is still in Beta. In any case, the button being there does not change anything about iTunes Music success.

P.S. — for those of you who have installed the iOS8 Beta….. if you find this little BUY button (on lock screen) tacky and annoying and a misplaced feature, did you report it to Apple? it's in Beta stage. They change their minds all the time.

25. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

This is not a beta. It's the gold master that will be released to the public on Wednesday.