Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
This is not a beta. It's the gold master that will be released to the public on Wednesday.

It can still be changed. The iOS 8 GM release log Apple state that Shazam Siri integration is not in the GM but will be available on firmware that gets released to the public.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Keep in mind that DTS is lossy, and as such is actually inferior to a regular CD.

The ideal thing would be for them to start offering music downloads in Apple Lossless format. We could then convert that as needed for our devices, yet always have access to the master uncompressed source.

I listened to the Apollo 13 soundtrack in a lossless rip. I then listened to the iTunes Plus quality rip. Couldn't hear a difference. If you want to claim my retail $300 Beats Studio headphones are crap, go ahead. Actually I'm expecting someone to. But they're the best I've ever used and I seriously couldn't hear a difference, and I was really trying to.

I don't think the loss is very audible at the point we're at now. Either way, I'd pay for tracks on which I could hear an audible difference.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I still buy songs when I really like them. Spotify is more for music discovery for me. I just don't feel right having a music collection that is rented and can go away any time that either:

1) I stop paying for it, or
2) the rights holders decide to stop offering it on Spotify.

You buy it, it's yours. Forever. On Spotify, it's never yours. Your phone asks for permission to play it every time, even if it's locally cached.

And I say all this as both a Spotify user and an iTunes customer.

A decent MP3 music collection would set you back hundred of dollars, thats a lot of money just to make sure you have the songs on your hard drive if you decide to quit spotify one day..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.