Apple Keynote 2011

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

What is the date for Apple's Keynote this year? Isn't it usually in January that Steve Jobs discusses the years products and so on? I know that Jobs is absent due to a medical leave, but what is the date for the keynote?

Also, what products will Apple reveal?

I'm assuming iPhone 5, iPad 2, and OS X Lion.

Thoughts?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

iPhone 5 will be released at WWDC in June. iPad sometime soon! OS X Lion in summer of 2011

3. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Apple doesn't reveal new stuff much months prior to releasing them, the iPad may be announced next couple of months, and the iPhone in June maybe along with OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later on in September the iPod.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

January was usually for MacWorld Expo. But Apple pulled out, so we no longer have that as a time when Apple introduces new toys.

The only sure thing is WWDC. That's usually when the next iPhone is announced and some updates to the Mac are also expected as well as OS X updates.

Now, as per the iPad, I am guessing early-mid February or late January event.

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

6. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? So there isn't going to be a January (or Early) update for the year?

That sucks. They did that before for a lot of products in the past, this sucks that they stopped doing it completely, or is it for just this year since Steve isn't feeling so well?

When is WWDC?

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

February 5th is the suspected date for the iPad announcement.

WWDC was June 5th last year i believe. It will be around the same time.

Tim Cook will do the Keynote. They won't skip it since Steve is recovering.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, the whole Apple is out of MacWorld was done since 2009; Apple's last year in MacWorld. Phil Schiller gave the keynote that time.

No, yes, and again, no. The iPad was announced January and released March/April.

Tim Cook is not a people person, nor does he have the charisma, needed. Phil Schiller as usual will do the presentation along with Scot Forstall. Cook, if ever, will be up there for no more than 4 minutes. Bertrand Serlet will be up there most likely than Cook.

9. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

iPad was announces Jan-27-10
    Releases: April 3rd 2010

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Cook did the Verizon announcement along with Verizon's exec's which is leading people to believe he will do the Keynote.

Plus, LAST year the iPad was announced January. This year it is supposedly getting a February 5th announcement. You misunderstood my post.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

http://www.statesman.com/business/technology/inside-verizons-four-year-quest-to-get-the-1188638.html

This is why I believe Tim Cook was on stage for the Verizon announcement and not Steve Jobs (or Phil Schiller), since Tim Cook was the most involved in making the deal happen.

Also, that announcement was just to announce a new carrier and nothing else (nothing new), and just like jav6454 said, Tim Cook lacks that charisma on stage. Phil Schiller's title with Apple is "Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing", his job is to make us want to buy X product, and it comes across when he does a Keynote. Finally, other than to repost sale figures, Tim Cook has never been on stage to make a product announcement, so I don't see that changing just yet.

12. jaw04005, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Personally, I think the next generation iPad is still months away. I think they'll wait until late March or early April to release it (putting it right around the 1-year anniversary mark for the original iPad).

As for WWDC, Cook won't do the entire WWDC keynote.

He may come up and do the introduction, a "State of iOS" and "State of the Mac." However, Schiller will carry the bulk of the keynote since (in any other company that didn't have Steve Jobs) that's his job as Executive VP of Worldwide Marketing.

You can expect to hear from Bertrand Serlet this coming WWDC since 10.7 Lion will be released this summer.

My baseless Apple timeline prediction for this year:

February - MacBook updates
    Late March - iPad 2 announcement, iOS 5 Preview Event
    April - iPad 2 ships, iMac updates
    May/June - WWDC '11 - new iPhone 4.1, final iOS 5 Preview, final 10.7 Preview, Safari 6, possible Apple TV SDK announcement
    Late June - iOS 5 ships
    Late July/Early August - 10.7 Lion ships
    September - new iPods, Ping 2.0, iTunes 11, Apple TV hardware update
    October/November - minor notebook/desktop updates

13. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

New category product is usually in January! Revision or upgrade it is usually a few weeks before launch.

I suspect either Feb. 1st or Feb. 8th on iPad 2. Mid-June for iPhone 5 announcements.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Engadget seems to agree with you (or vice versa)??

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/exclusive-the-future-of-the-ipad-2-iphone-5-and-apple-tv-and/

15. Abbaspoor macrumors member

the list of this year events:

1: early feb -> iPad 2
    2: march-april -> iOS5 intro
    3: june -> WWDC
    4: sep -> Music Event

and maybe another special event :apple:

16. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

When will the mbp you reckon be updated?

They are over due for a revision

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Their not overdue. The last update was April 13 so it will probably be sometime around then.

18. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

There hasn't been a full MBP re-creation since late 2008 when they introduced the unibody. I think that's pretty overdue man. We aren't talking about just hardware upgrades, we want a complete redesign. I feel like apple is really slacking in the macbook and Mac lineup and focusing too much on it's mobile/touch devices. I want new iPhones every year as well, but i think that they can put the same amount of effort into redesigning the Mac lineup as well and they don't.

19. crsmit macrumors newbie

so is there or isint there an early keynotes spech this year???? i expected one mid jan with the vid going up l8 jan. but the still been nothing online.

20. ozred macrumors 6502

At the time there were a lot of disappointed people.

Speculation and rumors were red hot.

Now more than ever, Apples got huge market share and profits.

Moral of the story?

You don't have to be great, just have great marketing and a charismatic pitch man.

Whoa is the day, when no one can quote their savior Steve Jobs.

Google and the rest will reign supreme.

21. madina macrumors newbie

madina

"Complete redesign"?

I it ain't broke, Don't fix it it!
    Why not just just upgrade hardware and software?
    What specifically do you want to see introduced?