Apple Launches 2017 Back to School Promotion: Free Beats With Select Mac or iPad Pro Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today launched its Back to School promotion in the United States and Canada, offering the choice of a free pair of Beats Solo3, BeatsX, or Powerbeats3 headphones to qualifying students, parents of students, and educators who purchase an eligible Mac with education pricing for a limited time.

[​IMG]

Eligible models include any MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, or Mac Pro. As usual, the Mac mini and refurbished Macs are excluded from the deal.

[​IMG]

The promotion also offers free BeatsX wireless headphones with the purchase of any 10.5-inch or 12.9-inch iPad Pro, or students can pay $50 extra for Beats Powerbeats3 or $150 extra for Solo3 wireless headphones. Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad and iPad mini 4 models do not qualify for the promotion.

In addition to Apple's online store for education, the promotion is available at Apple retail stores and Apple authorized campus stores, or by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. Those eligible for the promotion include faculty, staff, students, and parents of students at higher education institutions, and select others:
    Apple's Back to School promotion is also available in select other countries, including Singapore and Mexico, but it has yet to launch in Europe. Apple usually waits up to a few weeks before expanding the promotion to countries like the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands.

Apple's Back to School promotion starts today and ends September 25, 2017 in the United States and Canada. Apple's terms and conditions outline the complete eligibility requirements for the promotion in those countries.

Students are required to verify their enrollment or acceptance in a higher education institution in order to participate in the promotion. Not a student? Visit our Apple Deals roundup for other deals on Apple products and accessories.

Article Link: Apple Launches 2017 Back to School Promotion: Free Beats With Select Mac or iPad Pro Models

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

3. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Might actually buy my iMac from Apple now. SLight discount, plus headphones I can sell, perfect.

4. MacLawyer macrumors regular

MacLawyer

Well, I won't bemoan the fact I'm not eligible for this little item.

5. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

The Solo3’s are the first ones worth a damn, IMO, in the whole “Solo” family. They have the W1 chip and the sound and battery life are much better than in the past.

6. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Okay well I guess I'm not so disappointed I bought my iPad early and missed this.

7. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Want an iPad Pro...but I think I'll wait for better discounts near black friday. ~$150 off based on last year.

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Great if you plan on selling whatever bonus you get for $100 or so.

Was looking at a 15" Touchbar...but the prices are still a bit too high. Maybe I'll just try and a find a used 2016 model.

9. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

Anyone see where this is? All I see on the Apple site is the info in this summary. There;s little asterisks all over the Apple page and when I click the terms of the asterisk it only talks about the 3 month Apple music trial as the only current offer.

I don't even see where it says which beats are offered much less what you need to buy to get it.

10. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

Anyone know if iPad Pro purchased in last month qualifies for this?

11. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Why not a price reduction equal in value? At least make that an option!

Beats is the new bloatware.

12. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Depends on the person you get in chat or at the store to help you. Sometimes they will, sometimes not. If it was in the 14 day return period I’d say 100% yes

13. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Does anyone know if Best Buy usually comes out with a similar promo when Apple does this? Or know how long after it usually takes for BB to compete with this?

14. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

15. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

When I first bought my old MBP back 2012 for college, I liked the $100 Mac app store gift card. I would definitely take that over a pair of beats. Especially now, considering how many powerful apps and games are in the Mac App Store 5 years later.

16. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

I don't even care about Beats being good or bad but who cares? They've given out iTunes cards before, those must not have been selling well? Or Apple gift cards? Or Printers? Or iPod Touches/Minis.

Its free. Never seen so many people bitch about something free they can re-sell.

17. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

Yeah. Nowhere in Europe apparently.

18. lazypoet macrumors regular

lazypoet

Anyone have any ideas when they might include France?

19. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

You obviously don't understand marketing.

If I give you a $100 item for free for buying something, I'm NOT out $100. I'm only out what it costs to make that item, like $50. Your perceived value is $100, but my cost is $50.

If I gave you a price reduction of $100, then my cost is $100. Not as good for me.

Additionally, Apple gets more people using Beats and can talk about those increased numbers. They can't do that if they just give cash back. And giving $50 off sounds worse than 'free $100 beats'.

This is why so many stores, like Target, want to give away $25 gift cards with $100 purchase instead of just $25 off. First, it encourages people to come back to Target, second that $25 really doesn't cost their bottom line $25.

20. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

Historically, UK/France/Germany have happened at the same time as the US, give or take a few hours. We'll have to see.

21. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

Would not have guessed the iPad pro. And mine is so new and no free beat!

22. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Don't click the terms. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

23. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Well that was fortuitous. Parents want an iMac. Just ordered it for them with the EDU discount and got myself some silver Beats 3s for being a good son and helping them.

24. GOAT4521 macrumors member

ebay will be flooded with BeatsX by the weekend.

25. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

eBay is already flooded with BeatsX.:)