Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Just bought my AirPods Pro two weeks ago, but they had an older manufacture date from Amazon (July/August if I recall).
I have 2 pros, one of them I bought in May and that does not have applecare+ which I regret now. The other one does have applecare+. Thankfully I used my Amex card to purchase both which means a 2-year limited warranty.

I read on here that you can add applecare+ up to a year after purchase but it does not seem true.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I've had 3 pods fail with this. Each time I have had to go through the same "have you tried turning it off & on" type of support before they finally agreed to send a replacement. It is really poor given the cost.

I remember the posts on this forum from some proclaiming how it was a non-issue, made up by whingers / haters. Must be a bit embarrassing.

Jbusick7944

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Hopefully, this will make it easier for everyone to get theirs swapped out. When mine acted up I had to do about 900 tests with the agent to "prove" myself. I got taken care of, but man was it a lot of work.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I had this issue with the left one and authorized service (we do not have Apple stores in Poland) took both left and right for a check last month and replaced both as they noticed this issue on the right airpod as well (although it was not as severe).

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Correct me if I am wrong...

This is regarding situation?

1. Day One: Eartips tested passed.
2. Week after: Right does not work passed Eartips test.
3. 4 weeks after: Both do not pass Eartips test.

Does it qualify?
That doesn't sound related to this repair program. The "crackling" is a corruption in the signal processed by the ANC somehow. Nothing to do with fit.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I've had both left/right AirPods Pro replaced for this issue (these were purchased on the release day). Great piece of technology, so I hope they work out the kinks!

Reactions: amartinez1660

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
“Manufactured before October 2020”

So... all of them?
lol - my air pods pro had this issue.

Do they realize how inconvenient it is for people to go to the store? They should have end users destroy their air pod pros - send a photo - and apple send new ones.

Mines were replaced btw. new ones are fine but so far not the same Noise Cancelling like Version 1.0. Early airpod pro users know what im talking about!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I had this issue and have already had both pods replaced. The right one started first, was replaced by Apple after a chat session with Support. A few weeks later, the left one started having the problem. It only took a few minutes in Chat to get them to initiate a replacement of the left one. They sent me new buds by mail and then I returned the old ones in the same box.

In both cases, the issue was a rapid popping sound that sounded like a crackle that occurred when I spoke on the phone or even moved my head around. It immediately went away if I switched noise cancellation to OFF. If I put it on Transparency or Noise Cancellation, it came back.

I bought my AirPods Pro in late 2019.

BTW, when you receive one new bud, it's a pain to get the other bud and the replacement one to work together with the same case. One issue is if the replacement bud was shipped with older firmware. You need to put that one bud in your case, take the other one out, pair the case and new bud with your phone, plug the case into power, then wait about 30 min with your phone nearby for the firmware to update. Then try re-pairing with both buds in. I had to repeat several different times to get it to work. It might have gone easier if the old bud to be sent back wasn't still in range of the case.

Reactions: Born Again

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I literally just called Apple about an hour ago about this issue and they told me they couldn't find any related issues related to the crackling noise. Lol
That is the typical Apple response. 1 million users could have all called in to support over the course of a week, Apple will always tell you (at the start) they have never heard of that problem before. Lol They must be told to say that in training.

Will Tisdale 🎗

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2019
Selby, UK
I had both of mine replaced a month or so back, but I’m sure one of the replacements has started with the rattle whilst walking, although it seems to go away temporarily if I wiggle the AirPod.
The ANC isn’t great either, even with foam tips which give a better seal.
Stupid things.

Reactions: zeezun and MrJM

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
There was a time when a person could buy a pair of high end headphones and use them "forever". It seems that everything Apple makes requires endless bug fixes, factory recalls or becomes obsolete in 5 years

no argument from me that they shouldn't have issues but high end headphones are actually fairly simple devices but made with high quality materials... the AirPod Pro's are a different beast. they still represent one of the very smallest active noise canceling totally wireless earbuds on the market, with industry leading bluetooth range and very good battery performance in a small package. they are anything but simple and that complexity obviously has tripped up apple.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
no argument from me that they shouldn't have issues but high end headphones are actually fairly simple devices but made with high quality materials... the AirPod Pro's are a different beast. they still represent one of the very smallest active noise canceling totally wireless earbuds on the market, with industry leading bluetooth range and very good battery performance in a small package. they are anything but simple and that complexity obviously has tripped up apple.
If they would have just used higher quality piezoelectric MEMs microphones instead of the cheap garbage they used instead, they probably wouldnt have had this problem...

Reactions: gim and zeezun

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Very interesting, since there is a big thread about this already.
Could someone describe it in detail when it happens and what exactly, because I still don’t feel I understood it correctly. Is it a noise you hear or a loss of ANC which causes more noises? Is it like a walkie talkie crackling sound?

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong...

This is regarding situation?

1. Day One: Eartips tested passed.
2. Week after: Right does not work passed Eartips test.
3. 4 weeks after: Both do not pass Eartips test.

Does it qualify?

Yes this is a symptom as sooner or later the crackling sound starts. I have had both of them replaced. I had to bear this for the peak time of the pandemic as stores were still closed. I can already sense my right pod showing signs yet again and it hasn’t been 6 weeks.

Reactions: Will Tisdale 🎗

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have AppleCare with my AirPods Pro but, they aren’t showing on my list of devices. Also, how do you find the manufacture date?

Edited to add: I found my AC+ receipt. I bought my AirPods Pro from Apple 10.30.19. Looks like I am eligible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.