Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Launches Beta Version of Enhanced MobileMe Calendar Web Application

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In mid-May, Apple launched a beta version of a revised MobileMe Mail web application. The updated version went live along with an update application switcher in mid-June.

Mail is not the only MobileMe web application getting an overhaul, however, as Apple has announced a similar beta program for a revamped Calendar web application. As with the Mail beta, testing of the new Calendar application requires that users request an invitation through the MobileMe site, and Apple will be rolling out invites over the next several weeks.
The Calendar beta includes a new web application at me.com with great-looking calendar views. You'll find redesigned day, week, and month views, as well as a new list view to make scanning your events easier. Your calendars will also load faster, thanks to improved performance. The new web application works best with Safari 5, Firefox 3.6, and Internet Explorer 8.
Other improvements include new tools for sharing calendars among MobileMe members, publication of read-only public calendars viewable by anyone, event invitations with RSVPs, and compatibility with the CalDAV standard to allow viewing and editing on calendar applications on both Macs and Apple's iOS devices.

Apple has posted several support documents about the Calendar beta, including an FAQ and a list of known issues.

Article Link: Apple Launches Beta Version of Enhanced MobileMe Calendar Web Application

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
I'm a fan of this new look and feel -- the more tactile approach. I'm sure it'll wear thin eventually, but it's a nice change. I've only just started syncing all of the calendars on my various Macs and iDevices (using MobileMe) so I might actually use this (unlike the email).

Comment

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Every time they update Mobile Me it looks a little bit more tempting until I get to the price, I really hope a significant cut is on the way.

Although that will then open up the problem of how to placate those who recently subscribed at the old price.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Every time they update Mobile Me it looks a little bit more tempting until I get to the price, I really hope a significant cut is on the way.

Although that will then open up the problem of how to placate those who recently subscribed at the old price.

Agreed, but they can always send us refunds.

I love the new look as well. Can't wait to see a new iDisk @ me.com

Comment

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK

I don't know - I think really it's pretty good value money already - especially if you have an iPhone as the Find My iPhone feature is great and I use my iDisk a lot on my phone and from other machines. I really like the alias feature on the email addresses too - that way you can hide your real email address if required for reasons of spam etc.

Shop around as well - I've not paid full price ever for MobileMe.

Comment

Amadeo

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Agreed, but they can always send us refunds.

I love the new look as well. Can't wait to see a new iDisk @ me.com

Didn't they already update the iDisk portion? They redesigned it to be more "MobileMe" a few months ago.

Comment

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Where are you picking MobileMe up for cheap? Ebay? I'm always wary of those deals... maybe I should look again?

In the US at least, at Amazon.com. I got my first year at $59 and just got a second at $69 by buying old .mac licenses. This year I even had the seller just send me the key via email (I have enough Apple stickers already). The discount is trending the wrong way as the stock of old .mac boxes dwindles, so hopefully Apple lowers the list price eventually.

Comment

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Nice.... real nice, but hardly enough to justify the price. I have been a faithful mobile me, .mac, itools, subscriber for the past 8 years or so. Have paid the full $99 from time to time, yet half the time I got discounted membership. Then again I remember when itools was free. itools was the predecessor of the .mac>mobile me progression. Yes it used to be free!:D mobile me has come along way since itools, but then again so has the rest of the world.

Apple will either have to try harder or drop the price before my membership is up for Auto renew this December. For the price I pay I expect multiple email addresses, at least 50% or double the online storage, faster idisk upload/download, and maybe something extra like a discount on some Apple products like software upgrades.:eek:

Comment

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Should be getting an invite soon

I logged into MobileMe, clicked on the Calendar web app, and as with the MM beta request, there was one for the Calendar Beta request.

Comment

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007

I've always gotten it for $49-59 on eBay (except the first time I signed up which was $69 at the Apple store after having purchased a new computer).

$49 is worth it for me, but may not be for others.

[EDIT: Sorry, didn't read all the other posts stating the same thing. eBay is the way to go!!]

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Where are you picking MobileMe up for cheap? Ebay? I'm always wary of those deals... maybe I should look again?
Perhaps you should look again.

I have consistently found MobileMe around $60. The last time was through a large online retailer that I'll simply refer to as "A."

Comment

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Has anyone received an invite for the calendar beta yet? I applied for it around 0730 eastern but haven't gotten anything yet. I know it says you will receive an email in the next few weeks, but I can't imagine it will actually take THAT long.

Comment

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
mobileme should simply be free.

its a shame you still have to sync by using some stupid cable instead of over-the-air sync these days. light years behind google

Comment

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Has anyone received an invite for the calendar beta yet? I applied for it around 0730 eastern but haven't gotten anything yet. I know it says you will receive an email in the next few weeks, but I can't imagine it will actually take THAT long.

yea, i was wondering the same, i think in the next few days, also maybe all these mobile me upgrades will lead to that big announcement we all want to hear later this year :rolleyes:

Comment

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
How about business

We're a small business and we would love to use MobileMe. We currently use Google because it allows us to use their tools on our own domain, so we can use the Google's mail and calendar and keep our @ourdomian.co.uk email address.

Would be nice to have a central idisk too for business, to back up to, or just share files.

Comment

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Message to Apple: My week starts on Monday and goes to Sunday.

I don't want to be forced to have a Sunday-Saturday view, either on MobileMe, or the iPad calendar!

Thanks!

Comment

donrayden

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
cannot see any hint about adding public or private cals from other cal services, google cal for example....

that would be annoying.. :confused:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.