Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is offensive to me as a first-gen in the country and college graduate. Every student has the same level of access to counseling and 1-1 with advisors. We aren’t stupid.

Wish I had this when I went to school but I’m doing alright without it or any gender/race based grants/scholarships. Really hope Apple doesn’t have a quota for this...
I’m not sure you’re understanding the program. It’s for people who know nobody with a college degree. IE, my wife would have been a good candidate - she’s the only one in her family who did any college

Also, not all schools have the same counseling and 1-1 time with advisors.

I don’t see how this could be seen as offensive. I went through school with minimal assistance, but I’d love to make myself available to help anyone who needs it.

Reactions: citysnaps

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Not in Engineering and CS? That program is probably pushed out by the marketing and PR people, not the Apple Engineers.

Reactions: martyjmclean

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Not in Engineering and CS? That program is probably pushed out by the marketing and PR people, not the Apple Engineers.
This is basically a new form of lobbying and influence buying, whereby the next generation get brainwashed even earlier on so that when they reach positions of power they will enact favourable legislation (eg avoid voting to break up Apple)

Any business major kid that believes that this is due to Tim's altruism should be thrown out of college for extreme naïveté

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

MOD NOTE

Open. Let’s keep this something like on topic moving forward.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
This is basically a new form of lobbying and influence buying, whereby the next generation get brainwashed even earlier on so that when they reach positions of power they will enact favourable legislation (eg avoid voting to break up Apple)

Any business major kid that believes that this is due to Tim's altruism should be thrown out of college for extreme naïveté
In that sense, Engineering and CS people are harder to trick and bribe because they are taught to serve the public interest. If they have the Professional Engineer charter, then they have sworn an oath and with legal obligation to do that. Like lawyers and doctors.

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
This is offensive to me as a first-gen in the country and college graduate. Every student has the same level of access to counseling and 1-1 with advisors. We aren’t stupid.

Wish I had this when I went to school but I’m doing alright without it or any gender/race based grants/scholarships. Really hope Apple doesn’t have a quota for this...
1. It seems like you are looking for the chance to be offended. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder.
2. Just because something worked for you doesn't mean it works for other people.
3. You don't understand the scope of your own ignorance, nor do you display the imagination and empathy that might improve your understanding.
4. Access is only part of the issue. Access is worthless if one doesn't know about it or how to take advantage of it. This program will probably face some the same challenge WRT awareness, but it is also another opportunity for to inform people.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I love this program.

What I find strange is the source links to SCRIBD PDF and nothing directly to Apple's own sites or even their page listing on LinkedIN ... so I'm not certain if the source was vetted. Lots of people on Twitter are asking about his and the deadline is 1.8.2021 ... not a large window for applications to be submitted.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
1. It seems like you are looking for the chance to be offended. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder.
2. Just because something worked for you doesn't mean it works for other people.
3. You don't understand the scope of your own ignorance, nor do you display the imagination and empathy that might improve your understanding.
4. Access is only part of the issue. Access is worthless if one doesn't know about it or how to take advantage of it. This program will probably face some the same challenge WRT awareness, but it is also another opportunity for to inform people.
I bolded what is known as bigotry of low expectations. Calling someone ignorant doesn’t absolve you of ignorance.

No, people born in bad situations aren’t less smart than you even if you really hope they are - which I honestly dont understand why someone would want to will it. For some reason there are a pocket of people that have a house/degree/car/dog/whatever marker of success and think they are super well off and entitled to look down on others. I treat everyone the same because that’s what I would like.

People just need to be strong and carry on. As long as they work hard they will succeed.

I would also like to add that I didn’t quite know how to take advantage of what was offered to me at first too. But when I did, I didn’t want my race/situation to define me and open doors for me. So I worked hard. Got jobs at my school (helping professors) and that opened many doors. I willed my success and so can ANYONE

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Apple has another first programmers project that started in early winter but began rolling out early October I think.
I want something like first generation (Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Nanotechnology) Engineers and Physicists.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
In that sense, Engineering and CS people are harder to trick and bribe because they are taught to serve the public interest. If they have the Professional Engineer charter, then they have sworn an oath and with legal obligation to do that. Like lawyers and doctors.
I disagree with your premise here,In my two decade plus as an engineer and a senior member of the IEEE, I have met very few chartered engineers (Which in the UK is the only professional body that requires a pretense of stricter ethical guidelines)
Moreover lobbying is completely legal, I find most of it unethical and immoral, but it is completely different in a legal sense to bribery.

Case in point: how many medical doctors working for the pharmaceutical industry lobbying Congress?
In fact through early indoctrination in the schools and colleges, the graduates can easily justify to themselves that their actions would be serving the greater good because Apple is such a fantastic company (in their mind)

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
I disagree with your premise here,In my two decade plus as an engineer and a senior member of the IEEE, I have met very few chartered engineers (Which in the UK is the only professional body that requires a pretense of stricter ethical guidelines)
Moreover lobbying is completely legal, I find most of it unethical and immoral, but it is completely different in a legal sense to bribery.

Case in point: how many medical doctors working for the pharmaceutical industry lobbying Congress?
In fact through early indoctrination in the schools and colleges, the graduates can easily justify to themselves that their actions would be serving the greater good because Apple is such a fantastic company (in their mind)
Canada, China, the UK all require the name Engineer be used by Professional Engineers, Licensed Engineers or Chartered Engineers only. Just name differences. They are regulated members of an regulatory body that answers to the public interest, not the engineers.

If you don’t have PEng or equivalent, you are not an Engineer. You are at best an Engineering school graduate.

You can’t even call yourself an ice cream engineer or marketing engineer if you are not a licensed PEng or equivalent.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Canada, China, the UK all require the name Engineer be used by Professional Engineers, Licensed Engineers or Chartered Engineers only. Just name differences. They are regulated members of an regulatory body that answers to the public interest, not the engineers.

If you don’t have PEng or equivalent, you are not an Engineer. You are at best an Engineering school graduate.

You can’t even call yourself an ice cream engineer or marketing engineer if you are not a licensed PEng or equivalent.
That is not correct for the UK. In the UK the title engineer is not protected

only the titles (not exclusive) Chartered Engineer etc are board certified and legally protected.

Notwithstanding, my remaining points on lobbying being legal, and this being a method of Apple indirectly purchasing influence still stand.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
That is not correct for the UK. In the UK the title engineer is not protected

only the titles (not exclusive) Chartered Engineer etc are board certified and legally protected.

Notwithstanding, my remaining points on lobbying being legal, and this being a method of Apple indirectly purchasing influence still stand.
In China Apple follows the the rules and mandates. They don’t lobby in China.

Money from Apple can corrupt the American state, but not the Chinese state. The Chinese government can give a hint and Apple will be hard pressed to sell anything in China until they capitulate.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012

Why do you need parents? Honestly my parents sucked. Divorced and poor. Very low chance of succeeding but I understood their limitations. You know what I did? Found friends that could be my “mentor”, asked questions and made plans. Basically I was as an adult.

The mentor ship is nice. I just feel like it’ll be targeted to “underprivileged” (ie minorities) people and not the once hungry/eager/etc. I like that GPA doesn’t necessarily qualify you, but being someone who almost failed HS, had no studying habits first couple years in a community college and then taking myself seriously at a university - GPA does definitely determine hunger/eagerness/etc.
Right. What I'm hearing is that since your lucked sucked, no one else should get help either.

You might want to consider your position and outlook on life.

You should also really look up what privilege or white privilege means. Hint: it doesn't mean you get extra help as a privilege but that you experience a lack of barriers. If life is a RPG, it means you didn't start the game with a -2 to your dice rolls. Life can still suck, but you don't have the additional suckage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.