Apple Launches iTMS Japan

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

From the press release:
Apple® today launched its revolutionary iTunes® Music Store in Japan, giving music fans the same innovative features, breakthrough pricing, seamless integration with iPod® and groundbreaking personal use rights that have made iTunes the number one online music service in the world. With one million songs priced at just ¥150 and ¥200 per song, plus Apple’s legendary ease of use and pioneering features such as built-in support for Podcasting, the iTunes Music Store in Japan is the best way for Mac® and PC users to legally discover, purchase and download music online. The iTunes Music Store is the number one online music store with over 500 million songs purchased and downloaded worldwide, and works seamlessly with iPod, the world’s most popular digital music player with over 21 million sold.

In celebration of the iTunes Music Store launch in Japan, Apple is hosting live music performances throughout August at all four retail locations in Japan, including the new Apple Store® Shibuya which opens August 6.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Mudbug said:
*counts the seconds until someone mentions Australia/NZ*

Damn...

The Australian Financial Review (Music pirates play while industry dithers) today outright mentions that SonyBMG is holding things up. They say that Sony want Apple ITMS OZ to offer tunes in windows media player as well as AAC...

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
jholzner said:
Am I the only one who doesn't see it as a country listed in iTunes?
i didnt see it at first (im from canada) but give them an hour or 2 and it will appear

glay

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
Awesome! Congrats to the Japanese Users!
Will the jpop in the Japan iTunes Store be available to all other countries supported by iTunes!?
Australia needs ITMS! Come on Apple! Hear our plea! =`(

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Nice. It's not online yet tho-- I just checked. Too excited to RTFA so, my bad if it says that.

Although, I can tell you it will be a flop. 150 to 200 yen for a song, when you can RENT the entire disk for 330 yen ($3USD) at the local movie rental store? Haha.

I'm gonna check out that new Shibuya store tho-- That's crazy. Shibuya is all about partying, teen shopping, and red-light action. I wonder if Apple will fit in.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Congrats to Japanese Mac users (and PC owners who use iTunes, of course)!!

I just visited the Japan store for fun. I understand a lot more Japanese words than I thought. ;)

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
so long sony

Well this is sure taking the music war to sonys home turf. Sonys the #1 seller over there, with the shuffle close behind, i have a feeling with this release, that could soon change. Keep on going steeve, before long the sun shall never set on the iTunes empire. MUAHAHAHAHA

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
icloud said:
i didn't see it at first (im from canada) but give them an hour or 2 and it will appear
Right you are. It now appears. When I click on it it says the iTMS isn't available in my country yet, though. I'm sure that will be corrected soon. I am also wondering if Apple ever intends to localize all of the stores. I remember back before the Pan-EU store launched. Steve said it was coming and that it would be in English AT FIRST. I wonder if plans to localize the languages has been scrapped. I for one think they should. I think the people of those countries would greatly appreciate it as it's some what egotistical to just assume everyone speaks English, or at least should if they want to use the store. Just my two cents. I know the French and German stores already are but what about the others?

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Wow, great news! This should open quite a bit of new business/tunes. For anyone wondering, 150 yen is approximately $1.34 and 200 yen is approximately $1.78. Not quite as cheap as the U.S. songs, but we may see the price drop if sales are good. Congrats either way! :D :cool:

Edit: Rates courtesy of Apple's Unit Converter widget :)

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
gammamonk said:
Although, I can tell you it will be a flop. 150 to 200 yen for a song, when you can RENT the entire disk for 330 yen ($3USD) at the local movie rental store? Haha.
First, isn't 150 to 200 much cheaper than any other online music store? Secondly, does rental equal purchase?

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
MarcelV said:
First, isn't 150 to 200 much cheaper than any other online music store? Secondly, does rental equal purchase?

You gotta remember that in Japan, to buy a new album in a store is gonna cost you around $35 to $40 USD, so it's actually not bad.

Does rent equal purchase? It does for me. ^__^;

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
On the topic of Album prices, the other day, I went to go rent the new 50 cent album, (maybe not so new, but it's new here). They didn't have it to rent yet, but you could buy it for get this, 4800 yen. That's around $45 USD.

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
Yet again I lament the stupid walls between "national" stores... I can see the store, but I'm not allowed to *buy* anything!

Doesn't anyone understand how dumb this is on a global network? How long do individual licensing agencies think they're going to be able to impose artificial boundaries like this?

And what's with Sony allowing iTMS to open in Japan but not in Australia?

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
gammamonk said:
On the topic of Album prices, the other day, I went to go rent the new 50 cent album, (maybe not so new, but it's new here). They didn't have it to rent yet, but you could buy it for get this, 4800 yen. That's around $45 USD.
For what it's worth, Japanese import albums in the US can cost $30 or more...