Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stakis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
I've seen that the folks in the UK have been posting about this, but it looks like Canada Itunes now has movie rentals as well!!!!!!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
FINALLY! Funny some friends and I were just talking about the lack of movies in the ITMS today...

15 to buy...rip off!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Engadget is reporting the UK launch...

Before this, there were very few reasons to buy Apple TV in Canada/UK. The variety isn't as good as I'd like, but it's still decent. The price to buy some movies is steep though.

Luveno

macrumors member
May 12, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hilarious timing. I ordered an :apple:TV on launch day because I was anxious for movies. That unit went largely unused until this month. After the "Take Two" firmware update, I had a little more hope that movies would show up in Canada, and I could make use of my :apple:TV. 3 weeks ago, however, it must've had enough idle running, because I couldn't get any audio out of it at all, anymore. No Optical, no analog, and I couldn't test HDMI. I restored a few times, but had no audio on each attempt. I finally gave up, installs os x on the machine, and started using it as a print server/web server for basic things in my apartment.

Now, 3 weeks after it died, Apple has released what will finally make it useful. I wish I could say i'll buy another one to make use of it, but I likely won't.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Excellent. Any easy way to tell which title is HD and which isn't? Thanks.

Edit: Is any of the content HD?

MacTO

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Great!

Now I don't have to watch movies on Rogers On Demand. My TV is old anyway. :)

Cheers! :apple:

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
"...once a movie has been started customers have 48 hours to finish it—or watch it multiple times."

I know when they first launched movies in the US, you had only 24 hours to finish it. Did they change this for the US market as well?

jacob23

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
"...once a movie has been started customers have 48 hours to finish it—or watch it multiple times."

I know when they first launched movies in the US, you had only 24 hours to finish it. Did they change this for the US market as well?

No, they have not changed this yet. iTunes movie rentals in the US are still only good for 24 hours. Perhaps a change will be announced Monday?

drvolks

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
No HD

Movies available in canada, finally! Very good news! Ok, so where do I click to rent the HD version? Ahhh, Apple TV only. I guess my Mac Mini connected by HDMI to my HD TV did not come with the "Steve Jobs tax" to get access to HD content. The 5$ will stay in my pockets.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
New releases are a bit more expensive than my local DVD rental places, but not by much. And once you take the fuel and time into account (twice), well... it doesn't make much sense to go rent DVDs.

I can rent two or three DVDs for much less than 10$/15$, however for new releases you need to return them after 24 hours. This means a forced movie marathon to save a few bucks... I prefer the iTunes way, which gives me 30 days to start watching it. :D

P.S.: is there a way to search for movies available for rental? Sorry guys, we're new to this, eh?

edit: bottom left of the iTunes Store, "All Rentals".

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
Excellent. Any easy way to tell which title is HD and which isn't? Thanks.

Edit: Is any of the content HD?

HD Content is only available through Apple TV. There doesn't seem to be an HD section on the device like there is in the US Store. However, when you click on a movie, it will tell you if it's available in HD or not.

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
Apple Movies (48 Hours)
$3.99 Library Titles
$4.99 New Release
$5.99 Hd New Release

Rogers ondemand (24 hours)
$3.99 Library Titles
$5.99 New Release
$5.99-$7.99 Hd New Releases

So those in ontario saying its a rip off.Apple movies are a better deal then rogers ondemand.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
HD Content is only available through Apple TV. There doesn't seem to be an HD section on the device like there is in the US Store. However, when you click on a movie, it will tell you if it's available in HD or not.

Thank you very much.

Another question I'm throwing out there: If at some point French movies become available on the Canadian iTunes store, will there be a way to download the title in its original French version rather than dubbed version? (I'm quite fond of French cinema)

Now if only they can improve the selection. At least they should patch the holes for movies that have sequels. (I, II, III, etc…) It can be an inconvenience when "movie I" and "movie III" are available but "movie II" isn't.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Can someone explain to me why movie studios think it makes sense to charge the consumer of digital media more and give them less for their money (i.e. if you buy a DVD, you have the physical media, and often bonus content on the DVD, not to mention not having to buy the physical storage for your digital library)? I really don't follow the logic behind charging as much as they do for purchasing videos when you can buy the dvd for less--isn't this a major violation of financial theory? Besides the studios don't have to manage physical inventory (including the significant cost of moving all of that physical media around) nor pay the production costs for pressing and boxing all of those titles.

I know this subject has probably been debated to death before in other threads, but it's been a while since this goofy pricing structure has come out in the US and it seems that it's going to continue at least for a while--I'm totally baffled.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Can someone explain to me why movie studios think it makes sense to charge the consumer of digital media more and give them less for their money (i.e. if you buy a DVD, you have the physical media, and often bonus content on the DVD, not to mention not having to buy the physical storage for your digital library)? I really don't follow the logic behind charging as much as they do for purchasing videos when you can buy the dvd for less--isn't this a major violation of financial theory? Besides the studios don't have to manage physical inventory (including the significant cost of moving all of that physical media around) nor pay the production costs for pressing and boxing all of those titles.

My feeling is that, from the studio's perspective, DVDs are TOO GOOD of a value. I even see that sometimes when I flip through the discount bins at video stores, Wal-Mart, etc. and see great movies for just $5-7 (such as each of the Star Trek movies, 2-disc special editions!). Great way to build a collection, but the studios must be hopping mad.

If you consider that laserdiscs were $50-100, sell-through VHS was about $80, and a DVD is $15-20 for way MORE content, you start to understand why the studios are pushing for the next generation of media (Blu-Ray, digital media) to be priced a little closer to what they wanted it to be.

Just my speculation on the matter. Don't read too much into it as a result.

But, glad to see movies in Canada finally! Perhaps an Apple TV is in my future now that I finally own a nice LCD TV.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
48 hours to finish? WTH? Isn't it 24 here in the US, or did they change that recently.

Sir Omega: I note that your country is about to celebrate your rebellion from Her Royal Majesty in about a month's time. Rather than do that, you now have a one-time offer (all of you Americans) to come back to the fold. All can be forgiven and we will welcome you with open arms. All you need do is lay down your muskets, swear an oath of fealty to HRM and we will open our borders to you.

Think of it! Better beer, great shopping and our scenery doesn't totally suck.

Oh yeah - and you'll be able to get 48 hour access to movies from Apple.

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
The pricing fails to impress me. While it may be similar to Blockbuster or Rogers on demand, what about DVDplay? Anyone else use that? (Small Kisok I find in Safeway in Canada) You can get 89 cent rentals most weeks (on special) otherwise it's about $1.50 for 24 hours. They have new releases and some older films. $4 a movie wont change my renting habits.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I noticed these press releases always says "We're thrilled...". Is there a lot of pirating in Canada? If the answer is "no" then maybe that is why they didn't rush this out.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Alright, now maybe I'll think about picking up a used atv on eBay. Or on the new meBay service offered through mobile me.

Is there a lot of pirating in Canada? If the answer is "no" then maybe that is why they didn't rush this out.

Canadians don't break anti-piracy laws, we're too busy smoking pot and letting terrorists cross the border into the US. (I know they have to get through US customs agents, but logic is not usually a major feature of this particular discussion.)

Seriously though, there are all sorts of regulatory hurdles in both Canada and the UK inhibiting online distribution of content, and the only thing keeping them from rushing this out was red tape.

Anyone interested in the Canadian explanation might want to catch this Globe and Mail live conversation How to give Canada streaming TV and movies from 12 to 1 Eastern today with some bigwig from Rogers, taking reader questions about why it's so complicated to get online media distribution in Canada. Should be a hoot because they announced it yesterday, and now this itunes announcement today... Might be a few "hey, Apple can do it, why can't Rogers?" questions
If you hurry you might even be able to submit a question! And you can read the whole thing after as well.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Personally, I'd rather use Rogers On Demand - some movies HD - don't have to hook computer up to TV / Apple TV and more generally more convenient - and doesn't take up bandwidth - which Rogers now monitor and charge for excess usage.

However, those people who do have Apple TV, watch movies on their iPods would probably find it useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.