Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedommer

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Apple TV is NOT a better deal.

why?

because we have bandwidth caps on rogers now. so if you watch a lot of movies you will go over your cap and have to pay lots of extra money to rogers. and downloading 1.1 gb movies sends you flying towards that cap pretty fast.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Despite this being a good sign, I'm underwhelmed.

iTunes gets purchases due to the convenience and selection factor. iTunes Canada just has close to zero content for TV shows (The top ranked Southpark is available free online, along with the NHL games for those who want to save $2 a episode/game), and though this looks like an initial step, not much in terms of movie content for now.

Much easier ways to get TV shows and movies online at the moment.

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007

why?

because we have bandwidth caps on rogers now. so if you watch a lot of movies you will go over your cap and have to pay lots of extra money to rogers. and downloading 1.1 gb movies sends you flying towards that cap pretty fast.

For me the plan i am on with sympatico i will still save $40 useing apple tv vs rogers on demand.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Nothing big for me..... I always just used a USD Paypal account to access US store from Canada, there are no physical restrictions. But 48 hours is a lot better. The price discrepancy is ridiculous though, CAD is hovering at about par but its $1 more for rentals and $5 more for movies, thats 25%. I wish I could get 1.25 CAD for each USD but I cant.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Can I watch one of these movies on my iPod Touch, can I patch my iPod Touch into my teevee, and if so, is the quality any good?

I know I'd need a iPod - composite or component adapter.

atropos

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2003
Ottawa, ON; Alhambra, CA
why it is 19.99 in new release movie???:confused: isn't canadian dollar is stronger than us dollar???:confused:

anyway, better than nothing... I can live with it :D I don't even need to drive down or go to ebay to get a prepaid card

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada

why?

That's a good point. Didn't realize Shaw and Rogers were starting to monitor and charge for excess downloads. Until those download limits double it will limit how much HD content I'll rent on AppleTV. I suspect Shaw and Rogers VideoOnDemand isn't counted in download limits ... hmmm

AGold

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
apple TV as a print server??

Hilarious timing. I finally gave up, installs os x on the machine, and started using it as a print server/web server for basic things in my apartment.

Is this a hack of some sort? I was thinking about getting an airport extreme base station so that I can wirelessly access external hard drives (including for time machine) and wirelessly print, but if apple TV does that too, that would be much better.

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
That's a good point. Didn't realize Shaw and Rogers were starting to monitor and charge for excess downloads. Until those download limits double it will limit how much HD content I'll rent on AppleTV. I suspect Shaw and Rogers VideoOnDemand isn't counted in download limits ... hmmm

I wounder if apple got a deal with bell and rogers.That downloads for apple itunes will not count vs the cap.

Qubits

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
I thought this would be an interesting place to bring up this topic, since we now have many movie titles available in standard and HD. Standard movie sizes avg. 1.5GB and HD is about 4GB each.

Given the tier pricing of the cable internet provider in Central Oregon - http://bendbroadband2-px.rtrk.com/residentialservices_08.cfm

Realize that all internet access accumulates, web page loading, podcasts, movie previews, email attachments, etc.

Once someone goes past their 100GB overall usage limit for the month * , ( not too hard for a typical active family of 5 )
The additional cost per movie would be $2.25 for a standard movie and $6 for a HD movie.

This cable provider feature might be coming to a neighborhood near you also. Downloaders beware!

* This is in the fine print:

All plans come with a usage allowance of 100GB. Usage beyond 100GB is billed at $1.50 per GB.

There is no way to monitor or double check the cable company's usage meter readings. :mad:

StrudelTurnover

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Personally, I'd rather use Rogers On Demand - some movies HD - don't have to hook computer up to TV / Apple TV and more generally more convenient - and doesn't take up bandwidth - which Rogers now monitor and charge for excess usage.

However, those people who do have Apple TV, watch movies on their iPods would probably find it useful.

Not really, with the movie studios now including an iPod ready version on the (Blu-ray) movie disc. I'm glad to have more content be included in my iTunes store and that they traipsed through all the licensing mucky-muck. But just like XBox Live this is a pointless grab for my money, unless they come up with some neat exclusives.

Prices like this are exactly why I stopped renting from brick and mortar stores. I can get the same scratched up DVDs free from the library, and for everything else (including HD, Blu, and console games) there's the Disc-by-mail service I use. Costs me about $0.21 per disc per day, and I can't remember the last time I needed a movie or TV series disc for more than 3 days.

If I keep a game like GTAIV for a month it's $6.30. (Admittedly I'm probably 835th in line for it, but that's why I bought it sooner. ;) )

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I wounder if apple got a deal with bell and rogers.That downloads for apple itunes will not count vs the cap.

Just read another post stating SD downloads are 1.5GB and HD are 4GB! Would be nice if iTunes doesn't count towards one's download limit.

Would be even nicer if those downloads are not speed limited. I have Shaw's $45 10Mb/s (100GB/month) download plan and 1.5 or 4GB would take a while to download especially since the download speed is not consistent. I know Shaw has a 20Mb/s plan but that plan is twice the price. Would be smart of Apple to negotiate with Shaw to allow iTunes movies to download at 20Mb/s regardless of your plan tier.

Maxime

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Montréal
Great, just in time for the bandwidth limit imposed by the big ISP players.

You'll now only be able to watch a few HD movies before you bust your bandwidth limit.

:lol:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Around here, the typical monthly cap is around 35GB. I have a commercial account for Cinnamon Peripherals and my cap is 60GB. And those caps include both download and upload (total, not separate). And they charge us 10$ for each GB over those limit. Yes, 10$/GB, that's not a typo. And that's 45$/month for 5Mbits cable access, too (was 3Mbits a year ago).

Still think that your 100GB caps or 10/20Mbits modems are a problem? ;)

Roniniku

Suspended
Apr 4, 2008
Japan
DVDplay?

The pricing fails to impress me. While it may be similar to Blockbuster or Rogers on demand, what about DVDplay? Anyone else use that? (Small Kisok I find in Safeway in Canada) You can get 89 cent rentals most weeks (on special) otherwise it's about $1.50 for 24 hours. They have new releases and some older films. $4 a movie wont change my renting habits.

I'm in Vancouver and I've never heard of this. I've seen similar things in the past but they've long since shut down. Either way, the convenience of clicking a couple buttoms at around $5 far outweighs the drive, endless wanderings up and down aisles and the innevitable "its not in right now". I think the movie store will also do for me what iTunes did, open me up to additional suggestions in movies and music I wouldn't otherwise have considered. If I see an :apple:TV next week that has a bit more going for it, I may just have to make a purchase.

tba03

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
total ripoff

the video club next door leases 2 movies for 4$(new included)
apple is ridiculous in their pricing
a download for 5$ MORE than a dvd at the store?
come on!

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
the video club next door leases 2 movies for 4$(new included)
apple is ridiculous in their pricing
a download for 5$ MORE than a dvd at the store?
come on!

With gas about $1.25 if you do the math yes it would be cheaper to use apples movie service.Apple is not ridiculous with there pricing at all.Rogers set the tone in canada and its just goes up and up.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
The pricing fails to impress me. While it may be similar to Blockbuster or Rogers on demand, what about DVDplay? Anyone else use that? (Small Kisok I find in Safeway in Canada) You can get 89 cent rentals most weeks (on special) otherwise it's about $1.50 for 24 hours. They have new releases and some older films. $4 a movie wont change my renting habits.
Ditto.

The prices for rentals are pretty much exactly the same as renting from the store, but the price for purchase is significantly higher than you can get the actual DVD for in most cases. Plus you have to buy a multi-hundred dollar Apple TV first and hook it into the tangle of hardware that is your TV/Stereo system.

This is a good first step, but it doesn't really change anything for me, nor will it for most people I know.

I am a collector, and thus the media companies "dream customer" in a sense as I have bought huge amounts of their expensive products, but for me this is still not a service I will buy into. I'm really only interesting in purchase, not rental, and the prices for purchases are just too high by a factor of about 100%.

Consider:
  • Since I have the huge DVD and CD collection, the AppleTV product I am waiting for is one with an optical drive, yet rumours have it that Apple will *never* make an AppleTV with an optical drive.
  • Since almost any movie older than a few months can be got in the 5 to 10 dollar range on DVD, and since I have never paid more than 5 or 10 for a CD for years also, the digital purchases have to be in that range before I will buy them.

This service is just aimed at idiots or people that value the convenience far more than the product itself. I guess if you are an XXL type person who likes to watch movies and doesn't care about value, your set! :)

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
Ditto.

The prices for rentals are pretty much exactly the same as renting from the store, but the price for purchase is significantly higher than you can get the actual DVD for in most cases. Plus you have to buy a multi-hundred dollar Apple TV first and hook it into the tangle of hardware that is your TV/Stereo system.

This is a good first step, but it doesn't really change anything for me, nor will it for most people I know.

I am a collector, and thus the media companies "dream customer" in a sense as I have bought huge amounts of their expensive products, but for me this is still not a service I will buy into. I'm really only interesting in purchase, not rental, and the prices for purchases are just too high by a factor of about 100%.

Consider:
  • Since I have the huge DVD and CD collection, the AppleTV product I am waiting for is one with an optical drive, yet rumours have it that Apple will *never* make an AppleTV with an optical drive.
  • Since almost any movie older than a few months can be got in the 5 to 10 dollar range on DVD, and since I have never paid more than 5 or 10 for a CD for years also, the digital purchases have to be in that range before I will buy them.

This service is just aimed at idiots or people that value the convenience far more than the product itself. I guess if you are an XXL type person who likes to watch movies and doesn't care about value, your set! :)

1)Like it or not this is the wave of the future.The so called streaming is where it will be not the video stores.

2)For the past 10 years i was very heavy into buying movies.For the most part i would go out each tuesday and buy 2 movies.The places i went to charge $26 for new releases.So $19.00 from apple is not that bad.

3)In the long run you will spend much more going out and buying movies then useing a service like this.

4)Saying this a a xxl this is way wrong.This is something people who are into gadets are into.They may be big people but they aslo may be very fit.

tba03

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
With gas about $1.25 if you do the math yes it would be cheaper to use apples movie service.Apple is not ridiculous with there pricing at all.Rogers set the tone in canada and its just goes up and up.

gas price???
to walk 40 feet?
LOL

not my problem if rogers are *******s, apple doesn't have to be the same, they could have been BETTER instead of following the nose in rogers ass
apple is WAY more expensive than any video club in my area+they ffer me a physical copy for 15$(not apple for 20)

and...
26$ for a new dvd, what a ripoff
any new title is in special here around 15$
goes up to 18 after and 3 weeks after, when it' s now an old movie, back down to 12-15$, so apple is still a ripoff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.