Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a handful of leaked images yesterday, TechCrunch has confirmed that Apple has launched an official Apple Watch magnetic charging dock today for $79.

Apple-Watch-Magnetic-Charging-Dock.jpg

German blogger Benjamin Scholtysik managed to get his hands on the official dock from the Apple Store in Berlin, but the accessory does not appear to be on the Apple Online Store or stocked at Apple Retail Stores in the United States yet.

apple-watch-official-charging-dock-800x395.jpg

The dock cost EUR89 in the Berlin Apple Store and allows users to charge the Apple Watch both flat and in Nightstand mode. The accessory also comes with a 2M lightning cable that attaches to the base of the dock to provide charge to the magnetic adapter at its center. Scholtysik posted an unboxing and impressions video of the dock on his YouTube channel (via 9to5Mac), showcasing the packaging of the accessory and detailing the way it transforms from a flat orientation into Nightstand mode.

It remains unclear when the new first-party product will make its way to the Apple Online Store and Apple Retail Stores in the U.S. and other countries. With the holiday shopping season kicking into high gear in just over a week, it makes sense for the company to add the accessory to its retail locations and online options in time for new Apple Watch owners this holiday.

Update: The Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock has appeared on Apple's website and is available for purchase right now for $79.00, with an estimated shipping date of Friday, November 20 at the fastest speed. Apple retail stores should be getting the new dock on the same day, according to the new page.

Article Link: Apple Launches Magnetic Apple Watch Dock for $79

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Never had a stand for a watch, never will (especially at that price) the charger works fine by itself for me, and resting on it's side does the job.

I understand people might like / want one (not this particular but in general) the thing is this is expensive just because it carries the Apple logo on it, kinda pointless there are many alternative that works even better for a fraction of the cost.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I think this is very nice. the normal charging cable is $29, so the dock with a built in charger is really only $50 extra. Having said that there are significantly cheaper ones out there. But this looks well thought out. As I stated originally, I still don't get why it took so long for Apple to put this out. And why have they not thought of creating a dock for BOTH the phone and watch -- they have to know that 100% of the people that have the watch also have the phone, so a combined dock makes sense. It's what I ended up buying.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
So expensive. Between this and the latest input devices I think Apple's pricing team are on another planet.

Plus I wish the screen would stay on in nightmode, I don't want to fumble to tap the watch.

Its not too bad. IN reality, it's $20 more expensive than for example, Samsung's wireless phone charger. So if you remember you're getting 29.99 Lightning cable with it... it's a steal?

Seems like we're slowly seeing the old "Apple Tax" creeping it's way back into pricing model.

Reactions: unplugme71

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I rather hate the idea that if the watch faces me on the bed the cable is not facing the wall and has to snake its way across the night stand.

? The video shows it facing the back of the dock. The watch will be in nightstand mode, and the cable will be at the back of the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.