Apple Launches Magnetic Apple Watch Dock for $79

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 18, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a handful of leaked images yesterday, TechCrunch has confirmed that Apple has launched an official Apple Watch magnetic charging dock today for $79.

[​IMG]

German blogger Benjamin Scholtysik managed to get his hands on the official dock from the Apple Store in Berlin, but the accessory does not appear to be on the Apple Online Store or stocked at Apple Retail Stores in the United States yet.

[​IMG]

The dock cost EUR89 in the Berlin Apple Store and allows users to charge the Apple Watch both flat and in Nightstand mode. The accessory also comes with a 2M lightning cable that attaches to the base of the dock to provide charge to the magnetic adapter at its center. Scholtysik posted an unboxing and impressions video of the dock on his YouTube channel (via 9to5Mac), showcasing the packaging of the accessory and detailing the way it transforms from a flat orientation into Nightstand mode.

It remains unclear when the new first-party product will make its way to the Apple Online Store and Apple Retail Stores in the U.S. and other countries. With the holiday shopping season kicking into high gear in just over a week, it makes sense for the company to add the accessory to its retail locations and online options in time for new Apple Watch owners this holiday.

Update: The Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock has appeared on Apple's website and is available for purchase right now for $79.00, with an estimated shipping date of Friday, November 20 at the fastest speed. Apple retail stores should be getting the new dock on the same day, according to the new page.

Article Link: Apple Launches Magnetic Apple Watch Dock for $79

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

3. BarmyGnome macrumors 6502

BarmyGnome

4. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I would dig this for nightstand mode. Would be easier to swallow at a lower price.

5. Sirious, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

They're like "crap! it got leaked. there goes our doubled security. might as well release it"

/sarcasm

6. TranceJD macrumors member

TranceJD

$79? For that?

It's even more expensive in Europe, 89eur :O

7. chabig macrumors 601

If it were only a charger, yes. But it is also a "stand" and not just one but two types of stands! ;)

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

9. Macwick macrumors 6502

Back out the $29 that you'd pay for the charging cable.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Good call, but just a way for apple to charge this price. How many people have multiple AW chargers?

11. alexandr macrumors regular

alexandr

ha! i thought it had an installation cd))) "hold on..."

12. Eagle-Eye macrumors newbie

Based on the design of the new Cupertino HQ???

13. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

I rather hate the idea that if the watch faces me on the bed the cable is not facing the wall and has to snake its way across the night stand.

14. CouponPages macrumors regular

CouponPages

I think the flat mode would be perfect for charging an iPhone, assuming the iPhone 7 supports it.

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am looking at my watch charger that came with the watch and I am trying to figure why I would want to spend that money on this product. It is easier to place the watch on its side but not for $79 dollars (unless you have the Gold watch, then what the heck).

16. mainer4101 macrumors member

Yes, but I didn't see an outlet to plug the USB end in to. Can that be right, or do they sell the chargers differently in Germany?

17. 8692574 Suspended

Never had a stand for a watch, never will (especially at that price) the charger works fine by itself for me, and resting on it's side does the job.

I understand people might like / want one (not this particular but in general) the thing is this is expensive just because it carries the Apple logo on it, kinda pointless there are many alternative that works even better for a fraction of the cost.

18. geoff5093, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

So $79 for a plastic device that has a flip out magnet to hold your watch and charge it. No wonder Apple is so profitable, people are willing to pay for this. $29 for a cable too?

19. DFierce macrumors newbie

DFierce

So expensive. Between this and the latest input devices I think Apple's pricing team are on another planet.

Plus I wish the screen would stay on in nightmode, I don't want to fumble to tap the watch.

20. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

So it does come with an extra charger? That's shocking.

21. Siannath macrumors member

Siannath

22. ninjadex macrumors 6502

23. 2457282 Suspended

I think this is very nice. the normal charging cable is $29, so the dock with a built in charger is really only $50 extra. Having said that there are significantly cheaper ones out there. But this looks well thought out. As I stated originally, I still don't get why it took so long for Apple to put this out. And why have they not thought of creating a dock for BOTH the phone and watch -- they have to know that 100% of the people that have the watch also have the phone, so a combined dock makes sense. It's what I ended up buying.

24. LordVic macrumors 601

Its not too bad. IN reality, it's $20 more expensive than for example, Samsung's wireless phone charger. So if you remember you're getting 29.99 Lightning cable with it... it's a steal?

Seems like we're slowly seeing the old "Apple Tax" creeping it's way back into pricing model.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

? The video shows it facing the back of the dock. The watch will be in nightstand mode, and the cable will be at the back of the device.