Apple Launches New 'Behind the Mac' Ad Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today launched a new ad campaign focused on the Mac, carrying the tagline "Behind the Mac" and highlighting a trio of creators who have used Macs to "make something wonderful." There are four ads in the series, with the first, set to Daniel Johnston's "Story of an Artist," showing a variety of people using Macs as part of their creative processes.

Three other ads focus on specific Mac users from various disciplines:

- Photographer and disability advocate Bruce Hall, who is legally blind, uses his Mac and iPhone to help "see the things that always felt out of reach." Some of Hall's work is part of the permanent collection of the U.S. Library of Congress.

- Music artist Grimes uses a Mac "from start to finish" to write all of her music, edit music videos, and create digital art for her singles.

- App developer Peter Kariuki from Rwanda used his Mac to code the SafeMotos app for connecting passengers with safe motorcycle taxi drivers. The app monitors motorcyle riders on the road to "detect unsafe driving habits and help them become better drivers."

Apple has highlighted the campaign on its homepage and Mac section of its website.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Behind the Mac' Ad Campaign

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Wouldn't be surprised if the ad campaign involved the camera panning round to reveal an iPad behind the Mac.

3. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502

Internet Enzyme

I think that this is a very solid and very necessary ad campaign. One that makes me feel more confidence in Apple’s commitment to releasing new macs this year. Im thinking that an event may be on the horizon. My personal guess would be october

4. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Shoutout to the early white MacBook in the first video. :D

5. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Why? That makes no sense.

6. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

7. darksithpro macrumors 6502

I"m surprised they didn't put this audio in the background of one of those commercials. 10 MINUTE MARK:

8. Mic'sBook macrumors regular

It's so sad the Apple logos on newer MacBook (Pro) models no longer shine again :(, which is a 'feature' since the PowerBook era

9. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

...but how are they going to "make something wonderful" when the keyboard stops working?

11. BWhaler, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018

BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Apple sells obsolete technology with crappy keyboards.

This is the state of the Mac.

• iMac Pro: 182 days ago
    • iMac: 374 days ago
    • MacBook: 374 days ago
    • MacBook Air: 374 days ago
    • MacBook Pro: 374 days ago
    • Mac Pro: 436 days ago
    • Mac Mini: 1337 days ago
    And most of those “updates” were inconsequential bumps. Is it even ethical to be selling the Mac mini at this point?

Design decisions, e.g. 1 USB’s c port which is required for power, The ill-conceived touch bar, mindlessly making everything thinner over functionality, the nest of dongles, and again, those train wreck keyboards, etc., make the current line up worse than what they offered 3 years ago.

No amount of marketing or slick videos is going to fix how bad the hardware situation is, nor will it cover up Aaple’s unwillingness to regularly update the Mac line.

Apple is causing the decay of the Mac through their lack of care, and it breaks my heart.

12. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Or if they forget their dongle?

13. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

They asked me to partake, but I can't as my project didn't render in time - it has been bouncing off the 16GB RAM limit.

For 5 bloody years.

14. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

Yes, they actually have to do something now, but hopefully this is a small sign.

15. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

16. CE3 macrumors 65816

All the glowing Apple logos in these ads make me wonder if it might return to the MacBook someday. I'm generally not a big logo person, but it was such an ingenious (and now iconic) design element. Bring it back!

17. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

“Oh...my keyboard broke!”
    “They can’t fix my imac pro!”

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The thing fo me:
    Will there, or will there be not a "modular" 2019 Mac Pro? Based on Xeons and TB3 eGPU's, i.e. a real workstation?

I know it has been stated, but seeing is believing.
    I have this feeling Apple doesn't really want to sell a new x64-based Mac Pro, but move over to ARM and an AX based "security chip", locking down macOS akin iOS.

It's strange how quickly "Classic" Mac OS became outdated: 1984 - 2002: 18 years.
    M(m)ac( )OS( X) as desktop OS is lasting 18 years now too: 2000 - 2018.

19. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Added a few things.
    Not Macs, no. But certainly useful if not vital products to many artists out there.

20. bollman macrumors regular

I would like to hear what that blind photographer thinks of the touch bar.
    I'm nowhere near blind, and I think it's more or less impossible to see what's on it.
    I guess he loves to use the touch bar for photo editing.

21. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Apple's advertising team know that glowing Apple logo is part of the Mac experience, but Apple's hardware team killed that.

I loved the first ad, but the Grimes ad had me cringe when I saw she has a mess of cables and freaking dongles.

If Apple would just make a little bit more effort into improving the Mac hardware, they'd be eating up the market. Competition has caught up already.

22. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

Did I just read ...

Apple launches new campaign „Beyond the Mac“ ?

23. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Still enthusiastic about the Macintosh, as long as it runs the macOS.

24. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

I’m sure Apple appreciates your concern. But there’s no need to panic, iMac and MacBook Pro are updated yearly. We’re not yet halfway through the year, though I know it’s hard to wait!

I do expect that MacBook Pro keyboard to be revised again, but I doubt you’ll get a thicker, heavier machine. I don’t think the touch bar will go away, rather it will be improved.

Mac Pro updates are long overdue. The product management of the Pro was badly mis-handled; Apple has a lot to prove over the next 6-18 months, whenever the new platform is released. My guess is that Apple will have something their customers will like, but people will complain they’re too expensive.

iMac Pro is the best iMac ever, though more computer than most need, and as always people complain they’re too expensive.

For its target market, the current Mac mini is adequate, but people complain they’re too expensive. Newer generation processors and TB3 support are definitely overdue, however those upgrades may never come, if the mini is discontinued.

25. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric