Apple Launches New iOS Beta Testing Program, Seeds iOS 8.3 to Testers

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Getting sick of the fact that I've been registered for the Yosemite beta since the day it launched and I've still got no option to join the iOS beta program, yet people who only registered to the program yesterday are getting access WTF Apple ?!?:mad::mad::mad:
Same here I signed up for the Yosemite beta as soon as sign ups went live and still haven't seen anything about being able to do iOS betas. :mad:

xaqt93

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I did do the public beta and it is working pretty well so far. No major problems. However I am curious about having to restore my iPhone 6 once the public release comes out. Do we really have to restore the phone when the public release comes out? Will we won't be able to install the public version over the public betas?

I did not do that when I was a public beta for OS X. And if I have to do that with my phone, I may just go back to 8.2. So far there is nothing new in 8.3 that really makes me want to continue using it.

Thanks

This comes from AppleInsider:

"The company has also provided new instructions for iOS testers to restore a shipping version of iOS to their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch before the final release of iOS 8.3. To do so, testers must first erase their device, then re-install the latest shipping version — in this case, iOS 8.2 — before restoring their iTunes backup."

Thanks for the input - I have been trying to find the answer on the appleseed.apple.com website.
With OS X it works differently. Apple may have changed it but as far as I know and have experienced with iOS 8.2 betas and betas before that, you always have to restore to the public release. You just back up and restore. It is kind of a hassle. iOS 9 public beta will be much more worth it.

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Only problem I have found is "Hey Siri" doesn't work on iPhone 6. It works just fine on iPad Air. Tried turning that and Siri on/off, rebooting, hard reset to no avail.

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
Well I am still waiting for my Apple ID to get me into the public beta.

I have been running 7.1.2 on my 5s and have had read the problems of iOS 8.

I am a type of guy that likes to try new things without buyers remorse so I break it to you here....
1. I don't want a bad Safari Experience
2. I don't like my apps crashing
3. I enjoy long battery life.

So as much as I want to keep 7.1.2, having features like continuity perk my interest to update.
#firstworldproblems

ajon0515

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
about beta3

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today made a pre-release version of iOS 8.3 available to those who sign up for the company's public beta testing program, giving them early access to a new version of iOS for the first time ever. The version of iOS 8.3 being distributed to beta testers is the third iOS 8.3 beta, which was seeded to developers a few hours ago.

The launch of today's iOS beta testing program has also been accompanied by an overhaul to Apple's Appleseed Beta testing site. Previously the language on the site was heavily focused on OS X, but a site revamp gives it a more general focus to encompass both iOS and OS X testing.

iOS 8.3 was first seeded to developers on February 9, while iOS 8.2 was still in testing. iOS 8.2 is mainly focused on the Apple Watch, but thus far, iOS 8.3 has introduced several new features including support for wireless CarPlay connectivity, a new emoji picker, support for Google 2-step verification, and Apple Pay support for the China UnionPay network.

The second beta brought all new diversified emoji and skin tone modifiers, along with new emoji for country flags and updated emoji icons to represent the iPhone, iMac, and Apple Watch. Siri also gained several new languages, including Danish, Dutch, English (India), English (New Zealand), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish.

Apple introduced its public beta testing program with the launch of OS X Yosemite, allowing more than a million consumers to sign up for and participate in the Yosemite beta. Prior to today, public beta testing was limited to OS X, but Apple appears to be ready to expand its beta testing program to iOS.

Apple has also continued offering OS X betas, most recently seeding OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 with the Photos app to public beta testers.

Update: Apple is now sending out emails to certain members of the OS X public beta program, inviting them to also test out iOS 8.3.

Article Link: Apple Launches New iOS Beta Testing Program, Seeds iOS 8.3 to Testers
I wonder how long the life of beta3 is

forever or few months ?

Lcl1192

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2015
i downgraded from 8.3 back to 8.2 because of battery life issues. but now i cannot downgrade from my most recent iTunes backup because the backup is from a newer iOS version. i tried changing two different values in the info.plist for the backup, but was still getting an error about halfway through the iTunes restore. anyone successfully do this ?

J. J.

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
i downgraded from 8.3 back to 8.2 because of battery life issues. but now i cannot downgrade from my most recent iTunes backup because the backup is from a newer iOS version. i tried changing two different values in the info.plist for the backup, but was still getting an error about halfway through the iTunes restore. anyone successfully do this ?
I remember that some time ago I could do that by editing the version and build number in the info.plist file to an older one. Use Cmd + F to look for the "8.3" string in the file and change it to "8.2", then do the same with the build number. Let me know if it works.

Lcl1192

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2015
I remember that some time ago I could do that by editing the version and build number in the info.plist file to an older one. Use Cmd + F to look for the "8.3" string in the file and change it to "8.2", then do the same with the build number. Let me know if it works.
unfortunately not, something else must be corrupt in my backup file. no worries though, i used a iCloud restore from only a few days ago so didn't lose too much

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
[Mod Note]

Several posts discussing how to access the beta iOS versions without enrolling in the beta program have been removed as they violate the forum rules.

Please do not make posts discussing this process.