Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Launches Public Betas of iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a day after releasing a new set of developer builds for iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan, Apple today launched its public beta program for both upcoming operating systems. Apple had announced at WWDC last month that it would launch the public betas in July, and a new support document published yesterday regarding changes to two-factor authentication hinted a launch was imminent.

iOS and Mac users interested in trying out the public betas can sign up on Apple's beta software program page.

We'll be looking for any changes specific to the public beta versions, but they are almost certainly essentially identical to the developer seeds released yesterday.

iOS 9 is the first major version of Apple's mobile operating system to see a public beta release, as the company did not initiate the program for iOS until iOS 8.3 earlier this year. OS X users may already be familiar with the public beta process, as a similar program was in place for OS X Yosemite last year.

Article Link: Apple Launches Public Betas of iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
WatchESPN app is working on the latest beta? last time I've tried in beta 1 or 2 was not working at all, just crashing immediately after opening.

Comment

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
Is the battery life better in public betas?

I'll stick to dev betas since they always come out a day or two earlier.

Oh and btw, performance-wise, beta 3 is horrendous on both iOS and Mac OS, much worse than beta 2.

Comment

AnTaR3s

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
Anyone else getting an empty page when clicking on the public beta download button?

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Don't forget the option to install on a new partition (for El Cap)...

Probably the safest way to go.

Comment

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
Can anyone give some update on what sort of resource footprint El-Capitan uses, especially in compared to Yosemite?

whats the memory pressure on first boot? CPU utilization at idle? doing simple tasks? and the like?

Reactions: j2004p
Comment

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Unable to make an archive backup of my iTunes backup in itunes as instructed on their site (Win7). Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

anshuvorty

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Is it possible to download the public beta ipsw and then install it via iTunes? My wifi OTA is going to take horrendously long, but via wired it will be faster.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.