Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has issued an internal notice about a new Quality Program that addresses anti-reflective coating issues on MacBook and MacBook Pro models with Retina displays, as confirmed by multiple sources. These issues include the anti-reflective coating on displays wearing off or delaminating under certain circumstances.

MacBook-Pro-Coating-800x450.jpg

Apple will replace Retina displays on affected MacBook or MacBook Pro models for free within three years from the date of original purchase, or one year from October 16, 2015, whichever is longer. Affected customers that have already incurred out-of-warranty costs may be eligible for a refund through AppleCare support.

Affected customers can book an appointment with a Genius Bar or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to determine if their MacBook is eligible for coverage. Apple does not currently plan on announcing the Quality Program publicly on its support website, according to sources, but may contact some customers directly.

Retina-MacBook-Pro-Coating-800x600.jpg

MacRumors first reported on the problem in March, and it has since grown to affect thousands of customers on the Apple Support Communities, Facebook and our own discussion forums. Nearly 6,000 affected customers have also joined an online database called Staingate, sharing pictures of their damaged displays, while thousands of others have signed a Change.org petition.

The anti-reflective coating wearing off or delaminating has resulted from various circumstances, including the pressure of the MacBook keyboard and trackpad on the display when closed, and the use of incorrect third-party cleaning solutions with microfiber cloths. The issue often affects small areas of the screen, but sometimes encompasses the entire display.

Leading up to the launch of this Quality Program, some MacBook Pro owners covered under AppleCare have been able to get their notebook repaired through the Genius Bar with no charge, while others have been told that cosmetic damage is not covered under warranty and offered to have their notebooks repaired for a service charge costing hundreds of dollars.

Apple has launched similar Quality Programs in recent years based on common problems identified by Apple engineers. Apple offers public-facing Exchange and Repair Extension Programs for larger problems, such as the iSight Camera Replacement Program for iPhone 6 Plus, Beats Pill XL Speaker Recall Program and iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program.

Article Link: Apple Launches Quality Program for MacBook Pro Anti-Reflective Coating Issues

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
When there is a definite issue, Apple is the most likely to take action to help consumers. People can scoff at Apple's behaviour while they are undergoing the problem, but the fact is that Apple is still the most likely to offer help. No other company does this.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
happened to my 2012 one last November. they replaced my display free of charge after talking to the manager. the keyboard and the trackpad rubbed into the coating. nowadays i always place a soft mat inbetween before closing the lid

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
about time

seems that all the mails to Tim Cook had a purpose after all. :)

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
At least this came faster than the logic board/GPU issues on the 2011 macbook pros. I got that replaced under warranty when mine failed, and good to know if my screen on my RMBP starts decaying it will be covered. Apple either learned their lesson from the GPU failures or this issue was even more prominent and they were forced to do something.

Reactions: alvindarkness

Jamalien

Suspended
Oct 29, 2014
My 2014 macbook pro has just started to show this near the top. Couldn't have been more careful with it as I knew about this well before I bought it and yet its still starting to show this.

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
Had the exact same problem!
Never used any liquid on the screen, but it was probably caused by oil from my fingers that was on the keyboard, and the screen probably hit the keyboard when it was in my backpack.

It wasn't covered by warranty by that time (February 2015), but got it fixed under warranty anyways, because I also had white spots in the screen, and this was covered.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
But they never issued one for image retention, popping pixels, and mara spots....I'm giving up home. Why would they issue a fix for this and not the image retention issues.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
Yeah yeah yeah it's great that Apple wants to make things right. But for the people who had to endure that crap on a product that is so expensive - for many people that costs months or years of savings - kinda not awesome. When I see things like this I double down on my desire to keep this perfectly-functioning 2008 Macbook alive for as long as possible. Why would I want to breakdown and "upgrade" to a product that has issues like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.