Apple Launches 'Safari Technology Preview' Browser for Web Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today launched Safari Technology Preview, a new version of its web browser aimed specifically at developers. Safari Technology Preview is aimed at giving developers a way to access new web technologies Apple is planning to implement in iOS and OS X, offering an early look at new developer tools, layout technologies, visual effects, and more.

According to TechCrunch, Apple's goal with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers on its browser development ahead of launch through a method that's more easily accessible than WebKit.

[​IMG]
    Safari Technology Preview can be run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser, and it's able to be set as the default browser on a machine. It includes local data stores for history, bookmarks, cookies, and cache, and it supports syncing of browsing history and bookmarks over iCloud. Visually, the Safari Technology Preview icon is designed to resemble the Safari icon, but it is purple in color instead of blue.

[​IMG]

The current build of Safari Technology Preview includes several JavaScript improvements, HTML enhancements, and Web Inspector changes:
    Safari Technology Preview can be downloaded immediately from Apple's Developer website and it will receive regular updates through the Mac App Store. While designed for developers, Safari Technology Preview does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Safari Technology Preview' Browser for Web Developers

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

This is great. El Capitan didn't really bring any Safari performance improvements, so I'm looking forward to seeing them in the new "macOS."

3. saintforlife macrumors 65816

Anybody know why Apple stopped making the Windows version of Safari? What could motivate Apple to bring Safari back to Windows?

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

5. AdamJD macrumors member

Will this allow me to actually close YouTube tabs and windows without crashing the entire GUI and forcing me to restart, unlike Safari? How long do we have to go before Safari can work with YouTube on recent machines with El Capitan again?

6. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

it was horrible and no one used it. Combine that with total dominance by the other players (IE mainly at that point but secondarily Mozilla) and it just didn't make sense to compete there anymore.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---
    I thought lack of webm was just because I don't have Flash. Isn't webm Flash based?
    I just tried it and it worked fine for me on current safari. Do you have third party plugins installed?

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

When Safari for Windows launched, browsers on Windows were a mess. The choices were Internet Explorer and Firefox, neither of which were compliant with web standards to the extent WebKit was. Safari offered Windows users a browser that was more compliant with web standards.

Today, there are many more browsers for windows, and several of them use WebKit. There is really no point anymore. Plus, with the iCloud for Windows, you can sync your bookmarks and passwords regardless of which browser you use.

8. ericinboston macrumors 68000

You mean, like, that new weblink thing where you can click on a "link" in the middle of a webpage and be taken to another webpage!? COOL!!

9. gsmornot macrumors 68040

gsmornot

I set Technology Preview to be the default browser but so far the notifications links are still opening "old" Safari. Wonder if that is how it will be or because they came from Safari.

10. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

I think I remember reading somewhere that it had to do mostly with marketing. Apple/Steve Jobs didn't want to dump the resources needed into competing with Chrome's marketing.

As for what would bring it back to Windows... if it happened, it would probably be an effort from a 3rd party and not Apple directly.

11. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

They should make this available for iOS. How are professionals using iPad Pro supposed to test their websites? If Apple doesn't take the iPad Pro seriously then professionals aren't going to use it.

12. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

I thought webm was based on one of the OGG/vorbis related video formats...
    I am so happy that they did this!

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I download youtube programs every day on El Cap, never had that issue once....

14. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Still waiting for Apple to fix the Twitter link issue. When I'm using split view on my iPP some Twitter links don't open in Safari. On my phone the link just opens in-app but on the iPP it kicks to over to Safari.

15. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Never happened.

16. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I have not experienced this once and it is not at all normal. Do you have any third-party extensions or plugins that may be causing this?

17. djang0 macrumors member

This is great news! Safari has been lacking in features and keeping up with the standards compared to other browsers as of late. Perhaps (hopefully?) this shows Apple's commitment to keep Safari up to date with the competition. This is especially relevant on iOS where WebKit is the only allowed web rendering engine - unlike OS X where you can use any browser as you wish.

18. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The best part about this for me is that the icon is purple.

19. powerless macrumors member

Hands up those who thought "Updated MacBook Pro's" when seeing the image first.

20. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Money. But nobody's paid for browsers since the '90s.

21. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

22. djang0 macrumors member

This just goes to show how iPad Pro is not really a laptop replacement after all (just one example out of many). It's a marketing gimmick.

23. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

It already does, do you run any extensions or additional toolbar add ons with your Safari? Some have been known to cause issues with a variety of things.

Was there ever any doubt? The "Pro" bit as far as I'm concerned is just a name, no different to Air or Mini. Yes I do own one.

24. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Looks like you have a different issue there. As odd as this sounds, a number of strange Safari problems I've encountered, similar to the ones you've been having, were due to faulty RAM DIMMs or a corrupted HDD/volume. Might be worth checking HDD SMART data here, verifying the volume is OK through Disk Utility if that comes back clean, and maybe a quick Apple hardware check (as I don't think MemTest works on El Cap)