Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced SF Symbols 5, a new version of the library of iconography that it provides to developers for use in apps. The icons have been created to integrate with San Francisco, the system font that Apple uses for its devices.

sf-symbols-5.jpg

There are more than 5,000 symbols in total, with SF Symbols 5 adding 700 characters. Some of the new symbols in the update include game controller buttons, weather conditions, additional currencies, and automotive indicators. The symbols are available in apps running iOS 17, iPadOS 17, macOS Sonoma, tvOS 17, and watchOS 10.

The update also introduces symbol animations with behaviors like bounce, scale, and pulse defining how symbols and their layers move. Apple says that the animated effects bring "bring vitality to interfaces and provide feedback to user input while communicating changes in status and ongoing activity." To support animations, symbols have been redrawn and optimized for motion.

sf-symbols-5-new-additions.jpg

Apple included improved tools for developers who want to create custom symbols, including a library of enclosure shapes, badges, and slashes, along with updated annotation tools. A new inspector allows for animation previews for system symbols and custom symbols.

Developers are able to use Apple's SF Symbols wherever there are interface icons, including navigation bars, toolbars, tab bars, and context menus.

SF Symbols 5 can be downloaded from Apple's developer site.

Article Link: Apple Launches SF Symbols 5 With 700+ New Icons for Developers to Use in Apps

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
how can icons be a beta?
The designers are still refining and gathering feedback from the community about the clarity of the design (does it communicate what is intended?) and any issues with using them at various dimensions (resolving details). Designing icons that all work well together is an entirely complicated endeavor, and adds another level of complexity to what I described above. It has to feel unified and strong.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I wanted to download the final version a few days ago and was surprised it was still the beta. I'm glad it's finally out!

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Great job Apple!

- Check website. Site still lists 5 as beta...
- Download anyway and install. The app says fonts are missing and directs me to a different page to download up to 4 different font families and 4 font extensions....
- Check the release notes page back on main SF Symbols page. The page was last updated for SF Symbols 3 in 2021...

Update:

- Install all 4 families of fonts. SFSymbols still says fonts are missing...

• Sad
Reactions: aonez

JBCole

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
I'm curious of a few things, do the individual fonts have a place to live and are there needle and poop characters included to replicate the state of which this once majestic city has devolved to?

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
For the graphic designers out there who are not developers, you can export those icons in SVG format, but it's not with the "export symbol" in the File menu:

in the EDIT menu, select "copy image as...." and there you can select SVG, and the icon is then in the clipboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.