Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Stop visiting MacRumors and you'll be surprised during every Apple event. :)
This was never rumoured, no? I did not see any headlines or leaks about this color. I know it's insignificant, but I love those mid-cycle updates, haha.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What does that have to do with you insinuating that Apple only gave the 12 and 12 mini a new color because they aren’t selling as well as the Pro models?

Apple is trying to increase the sales of iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini. That's clear from their actions, info presented during their earnings call, and by other analysts.

You seem to believe it's a zero-sum game, that iPhone 12/mini sales can only increase if fewer people buy the Pro/Max. Apple can increase the size of the entire pie, not just by cannibalizing the Pro/Max.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
These are actually pretty gorgeous. If I didn't already have a new iPhone, I'd buy one :)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The idea the pro models outsell the base 12 model is laughable.

I don't think anyone expects the base model to outsell the Pro/Max, but right now the base model is 40% rather than the expected 60% of the XR/11.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Apple is trying to increase the sales of iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini. That's clear from their actions, info presented during their earnings call, and by other analysts.

You seem to believe it's a zero-sum game, that iPhone 12/mini sales can only increase if fewer people buy the Pro/Max. Apple can increase the size of the entire pie, not just by cannibalizing the Pro/Max.
And you seem to believe people were holding out on buying an iPhone until the right color came along. Even if that were the case, if the Pros were selling so well, why not offer them in purple as well?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
And you seem to believe people were holding out on buying an iPhone until the right color came along. Even if that were the case, if the Pros were selling so well, why not offer them in purple as well?

At minimum, it gets people talking about iPhone 12 again. Q2 is typically the slowest iPhone season and people are talking 2021 iPhones. If the iPhone 12 Pro is already selling well, I don't think Apple needs to invest in a new SKU.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Is it just me or does it seem that they’ve removed the stainless steel/polished edges?

*EDIT*: Scratch that. Am idiot. Forgot stainless was Pro models only.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
It's a nice colour and even though I was surprised to see it, it kinda makes sense, as Apple have brought out a new colour after the original launch before.

Reactions: im_to_hyper

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Nah, other phones have it. Cases are not an issue as case companies will leave a hole for the power button rather thackeray covering it, very much like what they do with the alert toggle. TouchID is necessary and it is coming. It will come to with the iPhone 13 or 14. TouchID on the power button is already in the iPad Pro.
It will be under the display.
It's not because other phones have it that it's a good idea.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes, I'm sure adding purple will really boost the sales..

I'm sure that's not the reason Apple added this color.

Yeah, I'm sure Apple added a 6th color to the family because their product design team was bored.

Maybe Apple's supply chain wasn't busy enough dealing with chip shortages, so they added this new color as a challenge.

Nothing to do with sales.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I'm sure Apple added a 6th color to the family because their product design team was bored.

Maybe Apple's supply chain wasn't busy enough dealing with chip shortages, so they added this new color as a challenge.

Nothing to do with sales.

It's funny that you think purple will be a big seller. If it was about sales, Apple would've done silver. Apple's is likely just looking to give their customers even more variety and thus also increase overall satisfaction with the product line.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Makes sense, the 12 and 12 mini are the weaker selling products.
The standard 12 is the best selling iPhone
If every consumer could afford the Pro and Pro Max, Apple wouldn't need the regular 12 and 12 mini.
its not exactly as if the pro is that much more expensive. Some people prefer a better looking phone which isn’t as heavy and has much better colours

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's funny that you think purple will be a big seller. If it was about sales, Apple would've done silver. Apple's is likely just looking to give their customers even more variety and thus also increase overall satisfaction with the product line.

Silver is a metallic color and only offered on the Pro family. We've seen this since the XR. The non-Pro models get white instead of silver.

No one expects purple to be a big seller. A new color results in a marginal increase in sales with little effort. The last push before September.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
It is so strange that I am not the only one!
And the Xperia 1 III is also going to have the purple.

Apple has always loved and respected Sony product design and I have no doubt that one day they've brought in purple 1II to product design meeting and said we got to do this.

Reactions: B4U

trevorplease

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max in grey at launch. Probably would have bought this instead if it was available at the time. Bring this color to the Pro line please Apple if you're reading this

• Love
Reactions: mel823

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Interesting launching a new iPhone SKU or 2 in the first quarter... hmmm

Last edited:

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Interesting to see an announcement like this. Bought an iPhone 12 at launch... what if I wanted purple? :(

Honestly I want the purple one with a black leather case so the purple is accented by the camera, and then get a lighter wallet. As we start going out again as a society, iphone minis will be quite a fashion accessory. Hmmm.

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Since Apple aren’t releasing this for the Pro models must mean they are going to be discontinued ?

On a more serious note, I wonder if this means the 12 and 12 Mini -- and not the pros -- will be available after the launch of the 13?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.