Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting in February, Apple is hosting its annual company wide fitness challenge for all of its employees, tasking them with closing all three Apple Watch Activity rings every day of the month.

Employees who successfully finish the challenge will be rewarded with a t-shirt that says "2020" in a logo with Apple Watch Activity-style rings, as shared by an Apple employee.

applewatchactivitychallenge2020.jpg

The employees who complete the challenge every day will earn a "gold" ranking and will receive a gold pin along with their t-shirt, and there are also silver and bronze rewards accompanied by silver and bronze pins.

Apple in 2018 and 2019 hosted similar challenges offering employees Activity-themed Apple Watch bands as prizes.

Apple's February fitness challenge is internal only and is limited to Apple employees, but Apple also regularly hosts public fitness challenges, though these do not come with physical rewards.

Article Link: Apple Launching New Internal Activity Challenge for Employees

Last edited:

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2015
There is no way I could close all three rings everyday for a month. I barely do it twice a week. The problem is with the red one. But ... I will say this, I would like to see a competition to eliminate bugs on activity ring syncing between the watch and the phone. Sometimes it just decides it is not gonna sync them at all for days on end, and I am NOT going to go through a whole debug sequence of first restarting the watch, then the phone, then turning one back on and then the other, and then reversing it, or whatever. It's about the only fail-bug that reduces my overall sense of quality on the watch which, otherwise, is quite the gem.
[automerge]1579546433[/automerge]
I have to say, it's astonishingly ironic that people choose Apple -- a company that has probably done more than just about anyone in this area -- to pick on for disabled participation. As if !!! The last 2 times I was in an Apple store I was helped by a disabled Apple employee. And I have to say, that blind girl who was running the entire bank of iPhone setup people on launch day, she really knew the setup app cold. Hardworking service dog, too.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I have to say, it's astonishingly ironic that people choose Apple -- a company that has probably done more than just about anyone in this area -- to pick on for disabled participation. As if !!! The last 2 times I was in an Apple store I was helped by a disabled Apple employee. And I have to say, that blind girl who was running the entire bank of iPhone setup people on launch day, she really knew the setup app cold. Hardworking service dog, too.

It's just people not feeling good about themselves or their lives. With the remedy being getting a bit of joy in trashing someone else. Sadly, that joy quickly dissipates and it's time for another bash at someone or some company.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I wonder how Apples disabled employees are allowed to participate. ?
There's no "allowed" to participate - any employee with an Apple Watch can participate.

This challenge is based on the standard Activity app that comes with Apple Watch. If you're not familiar with that app, then you may not appreciate just how adaptable "Activity" is for people of different abilities/physical condition.

The Move and Exercise goals are both based on the user's current physical condition, not a specific amount of calories burned. Only Stand (stand/move around for one minute per hour) is the same for all participants. A person can "stand" in a wheelchair or even reclining in bed - the key to Stand is hourly physical activity, not rising to ones feet.

A person in poor physical condition or having a physical disability is just as capable of closing their rings (and achieving Gold) as an athlete in training for the Olympics. They're rewarded for exceeding their normal levels of activity, whatever their "normal" happens to be.

Reactions: CarlJ and Plett

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I wonder if there is a required calorie goal for this? To avoid cheating if you wanna call it that. I've had a friend who set their calorie goal to 10 so they would always close their move ring.

bobtem

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
In other important Apple news, Apple execs tasks Apple employees to drink 8 glasses of Apple Branded drinking water per Apple workday at the Apple Cafeteria in the Apple Spaceship, and offers Apple incentives to Apple... wait, I forgot what I was writing about. Oh well, mentioned Apple a couple time.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
These would be bad ass if random customers could get in on the action...a little lotto as it were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.