Apple Launching Pilot Program Allowing Repairs of Soon-to-Be Vintage Mid 2011 iMac in United States

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today internally announced it is launching a new pilot program that will permit Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers to continue offering repair service for 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac models released in mid 2011, despite the fact they will be classified as vintage starting next month.

[​IMG]

The pilot program will be available in the United States only between March 1, 2018 and August 31, 2018, subject to parts availability from Apple, according to the company's internal memo obtained by MacRumors. After the pilot ends, repairs will only be available in California and Turkey, as required by law.

Apple and Authorized Service Providers can usually repair an iMac's display and hinge, logic board, graphics card, hard drive or SSD, power supply, and other components, although the exact availability of replacement parts remains to be seen. It's unclear if RAM and storage upgrades will continue to be offered.

Apple typically offers repairs and replacement parts for a Mac until five years after it is no longer manufactured. Mid 2011 iMac models are now approaching this cutoff, as the last education-only configuration was discontinued in March 2013, but these machines will now remain eligible for service for an additional six months.

Apple didn't specify if the pilot program will eventually expand to other vintage products, or whether it will be available outside of the United States.

Article Link: Apple Launching Pilot Program Allowing Repairs of Soon-to-Be Vintage Mid 2011 iMac in United States

2. matamoris macrumors regular

These are still great and very capable machines, especially when they are upgraded with an SSD.

3. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

I worked as a Mac Genius from 07-2014, 2007 to 2012 iMacs are a pain to fix as a baseline... and then to add insult to injury, once the repair is done, you've got to clean a display in a dusty Genius Room with a silicon roller and basically pray that a speck of dust doesn't settle in the air bubble between the glass panel and the display... almost impossible.

Apple finally wised up and laminated the glass to the LCD in subsequent revisions like on their phones and some tablets, but damn, what a nightmare.

4. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

That'll be nice. Hope it gets expanded to other Macs

5. Mark-Technology macrumors regular

I wish Apple did this for the Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro.

When they had the GPU replacement/repair program running these past couple years, my GPU was fine (of course life works this way), but recently I've been seeing crashes and it's probably from thermal issues. I see random artifacts, but I don't want to shell out for a logic board replacement on such an old machine.

Still my baby though. Got her back when she came out (7th year now) and still running as fast (if not faster) today aside from this occasionally artifact issue. Have had an SSD and RAM maxed out since 5 years ago.

Will keep this Mac going until it literally breaks down or until I have disposable income.

6. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

When the hinge failed on my 27" iMac, it was a nightmare to get replaced. I had to transport it to the nearest Apple store 2 hrs away; leave it for a week since it had to be disassembled to fix the hinge; and then again, drive 4 hrs. round trip to pick it up. I would hope that they will continue to make this kind of repair, since the iMac was virtually unusable despite being a perfectly functional computer. I guess that is the downside of an all-in-one.

7. Ms6boost macrumors newbie

Ugh, we were THIS close to no longer having to work on these...

8. iMerik macrumors 6502a

I took my 27" Mid-2011 in for the video card replacement program. I don't have an Apple Store nearby, so it was to an authorized dealer / repair place. I got my iMac back and the screen was scratched to ****. I couldn't have been more confused how they managed to damage a perfect screen and damage it that bad. After a while longer, they did replace the screen they destroyed. I wonder if it had something to do with it sucking like you describe or if was just that these people sucked at their jobs.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm not really sure what the point is. I'm familiar with Apple's repair charges. I don't see how repairing one of these @ Apple is cost effective in light of the fact you can buy new 21.5" and 27" 2015 models for not much more and end up with a better screen and internals. Nothing against the 2011 model but I wouldn't spend hundreds of $ to revive it. Not money well spent.

10. dutch_bird macrumors newbie

dutch_bird

Mine is. And upgraded with High Sierra.
    Runs like Max Verstappen. Schermafbeelding.jpg

11. swester macrumors regular

12. recoil80 macrumors 68020

My "vintage" mid 2011 iMac is my daily driver.
    I have upgraded the RAM to 16GB and put an SSD as primary disk while keeping the HDD as second, removing the dvd. I think I'll use it for at least another couple of years, then I my get a 5K or a Mac mini with an external monitor if they'll ever make a new model.

13. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

Aaaand this is why I won't buy a all in one.. ever.

14. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

Already? My iMac must be feeling old, yet it still works flawlessly. I just replaced the Bluetooth — because I wanted the low energy one — and the hard disk drive — which I now use as a backup drive — with a SSD.

15. Kermit262 macrumors 6502

Kermit262

My 2011 iMac has gotten very slow over the last several months. Going to replace it with another iMac or a Macbook, but either way my next Mac will have an SSD drive. I think the slow hard drive is a big part of the slowness.

16. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

This is extremely uncharacteristic for Apple. They usually choose to extract revenue by pushing the customer to purchase upgraded hardware.

17. panjandrum, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018

panjandrum macrumors regular

panjandrum

Like many pieces of aging Apple equipment, these do indeed still run extremely well if you simply upgrade to an SSD (and max the ram if you can afford it.) Even one of the less-expensive (slower) SSDs will make all the difference in the world. Moving to an SSD is really not all that hard a process once you've done it a few times - if it is your first time just use the iFixit guide and go very, very slowly). Note that you actually don't need a drive adapter - you can just use a good double-back tape and carefully tape the extremely light SSD in place if you wish. And you'll need MacsFanControl (or similar) to manage the drive-fan speed after your update.

I have just started seeing an pretty-heavy increase in power-supply failures in these models though, so do keep in mind that other components will eventually fail in these older systems. Is it worth a $200 or $300 investment? Probably, but don't spend a ton on a system this old.

Soapbox: Sure, it's great that Apple will still repair these for now (although you'll get it done more cheaply elsewhere), and maybe that's a good sign for the future OS support as well, but I'll believe that when I see it. More likely is that, like many other aging Macintosh models, this one will probably be killed not out of technical necessity, but because Apple will stop supporting the machine with future OS updates at some point, causing it to needlessly become "obsolete" as other software also stops supporting whichever OS becomes the latest actually installable on the equipment (often, but not always, you'll find ways around Apple's artificially self-induced limitations). What a sad statement about Apple that you can often install a different modern OS on equipment Apple has abandoned, even the now-ancient 32bit CoreDuo systems. That OS? Windows 10!

And seriously, wouldn't you think that some kind of corporate-pride alone would induce Apple to support their own hardware better than their primary competitor does?

18. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I'm running one with 12 gb of RAM and booting off an external firewire SSD. Works great. Though it had a GPU failure, but that was covered by Apple as part of a special program.
    Still, I'm buying the next generation of iMac. Time for me to move on and not rely on a "vintage" computer.

19. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

The late 2012 had the laminated glass.

I think it would be easier to deal with cleaning the glass, versus dealing with the adhesive on the laminated models. But, I guess since you do it all the time, it probably wouldn't be a big deal to you.

20. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Try an external SSD connected by Firewire. Grab the SSD for $150 which will be plenty big enough for system and applications. Making a system boot isn't hard and you can leave your files and documents on the hard drive. When you upgrade the Mac, use the external SSD as a backup drive or cold storage of key files.

21. Eithanius macrumors 65816

22. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

Right on with the 2012. VHB adhesive strips aren't bad when you've got the pizza cutter and replacement strips from Apple, a minor inconvenience... but cleaning the glass is always a hassle if you're a perfectionist - a few Genii gave it a "wipe fast and don't look back unless the customer mentions it" mentality... that wasn't me.

23. walnuts macrumors 6502a

I'm no expert, but I did replace the hdd with an sd. From what I understand, everything newer than this used adhesive to connect the screen/glass combo to the body... was this really worse than having to break the old adhesive and reglue every time?

I will say that the damn screws next to the magnets were a real pain.

Edit: sorry... ninja'd. I guess you all get used to the adhesive!

24. nathansz macrumors regular

put an ssd in it.
    i put an ssd and 16 gigs of ram in
    my 2011 3.2 quad core 27” and it is super fast now

25. jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

Not alone...you're not alone.:(