Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will soon introduce an updated website for managing Apple IDs, which will allow Apple users to download a copy of all of their data stored by the company, reports Bloomberg.

Customers will be able to download data like their Contacts, photos, music preferences, Calendar information, and more. The site will essentially let users download all information stored across Apple's apps and services.

appleid-800x562.jpg

Apple also plans to allow customers to use the site to correct personal information, disable their Apple ID account, and permanently delete an Apple ID.

At the current time, there is no way for users to download their data or delete their accounts without directly contacting Apple.

Apple is making the change to comply with the European Union's new General Data Protection Regulation, which goes into effect on May 25.

Apple plans to release the new web-based privacy tools in Europe in early May, with an expansion to come to other countries at a later date.

The iOS 11.3 update, released this morning, also has privacy improvements in the form of new privacy splash screens that are displayed within each of Apple's apps when you open them for the first time to explain what data Apple collects and why.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Revamped Apple ID Website That Lets Users Download All Their Data

ChrisKnight

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2007
Download... OK. That's a start.

What I really want is an interface that lets me DELETE data from iCloud.

Long ago I accidentally let my keychain sync up to Apple. There is no mechanism to affirmatively delete that data. Apple says something along the lines of when configure all your existing devices to not sync keychain, they will automatically delete the data, and yet that's not provable via their interface.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
Only Apple can do this. ;)

Seriously though, You think any of the others are going to be doing this anytime soon?

Edit before I get quoted again. This was more of a sarcastic reply! I don’t use Facebook or google services. Again, it was a joke son a joke!

Last edited:

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
The system as it stands now is screwed up. A relative had a medical emergency two months ago, and his PC and phone were stolen while he was in the hospital. Although he bought a new iPhone, he found it impossible to access his previous account and icloud data because he couldn't remember his password and his trusted devices were not available. The perfect catch 22, but maybe this new feature/service will help him transfer the lost data.

Last edited:

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I really wish we could split our apple Id and iTunes services; I don't want one account for everything. I would want my icloud account including find my phone/mac to be locked down, but I don't need that level of security for iTunes purchases.

I actually have a separate apple ID from the time before iTunes took over everything, but there isn't anyway that I know of to use that anymore (separate from iTunes).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This sounds likely to backfire to me... Apple has set up a single spot where if hackers find a way in, they can get everything.

And I realize there were probably other spots, but I feel like they were less visible than this is.

Reactions: rhoydotp

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Good, but given Apple’s current release timeframes expect the other countries to take a year to be implemented. By the way when will we be able to merge Apple IDs?
[doublepost=1522346997][/doublepost]
This sounds likely to backfire to me... Apple has set up a single spot where if hackers find a way in, they can get everything.

And I realize there were probably other spots, but I feel like they were less visible than this is.

There has always been only one way in, i.e. the Apple ID and password; it unlocks everything. This just makes everything more convenient and easier to manage for the customer. Since I can’t merge my Apple ids I’ve wanted to delete the extra accounts for a while now. Finally Apple will let me, eventually...

SevenSeas

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2016
The sea of change
And now Apple will have to be a pioneer quantum cryptography. I am cautiously optimistic with this development, and another public and well timed slap to the face of FB ;-).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jstuts5797

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
How about a site that tells Apple's customers how much Apple earns from other companies to feature them and their privacy-invading business models on the phone, such as Google and Facebook?

Reactions: kdarling

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
As a routine Apple basher, but a long, long time user, this is one of the really good things that Apple is getting right these days. Go Apple.
[doublepost=1522347362][/doublepost]
Wow- if this gets hacked, we're all doomed.

The next step is an encryption key that only the user knows. If Apple truly supports privacy, then Apple will make the encryption key management transparent and effortless, without having the key stored on Apple servers.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Facebook lol
Yeah, Facebook’s massive data harvesting has opened the eyes of a lot of people who were previously “asleep” or just blissfully ignorant. Companies like Apple are just being proactive now ahead of any legislation that may curtail their operations and more importantly their profits. Not that Apple is in the same boat as FB and Google when it comes to u$ing/abu$ing your data, but Apple is still a participant, willing or unwilling when it comes to their devices being used to harvest the data. Users share the blame as well, but some of us expected (foolishly) that companies like FB would adhere more to their clearly stated privacy policies and guard our data more rigorously. Shame on us.

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
I really wish we could split our apple Id and iTunes services; I don't want one account for everything. I would want my icloud account including find my phone/mac to be locked down, but I don't need that level of security for iTunes purchases.

I actually have a separate apple ID from the time before iTunes took over everything, but there isn't anyway that I know of to use that anymore (separate from iTunes).
I believe this still works, or at least it does for me. I've had it like this for the past 8 years at least. I have my iCloud stuff on one ID, and my app purchases/itunes stuff is all on a separate ID. iOS allows you to sign into a different account for itunes/app store purchases in settings -> itunes & app store.

augustrushrox

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2015
I love this.
It's a good start but there should be a way to definitively delete and PROVE that your data has been "permanently" (I use quotations because permanent data deletion is complicated theoretically) from their servers.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Only Apple can do this. ;)

Seriously though, You think any of the others are going to be doing this anytime soon?
Google have had this for years. A single page where you can download everything they hold on you

https://takeout.google.com/

Other major sites either have the same thing or will have to develop it in response to the GDPR rules

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.