Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I know what browser cookies are.

What I want to know is what "profile" Google has on me that's using some other form of identification other than a Google ID. This goes for any company, not just Google.
I'm sorry... I should have explained more. Google drops cookies on your system that they can use to track you and tailor ads to you. You can delete those cookies, but they will just drop more the next session and it starts all over again. They can do the same with your IP address.

Reactions: poppy10

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
I'm sorry... I should have explained more. Google drops cookies on your system that they can use to track you and tailor ads to you. You can delete those cookies, but they will just drop more the next session and it starts all over again. They can do the same with your IP address.
I wonder if they (or anyone else) can track you via your device MAC addresses, or other device ID?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wonder if they (or anyone else) can track you via your device MAC addresses, or other device ID?
I believe they can and if you combine that with your "browser footprint" (things like user agent), I think even though they may not know your name, they can have a pretty good idea it is the same person over different browsing sessions and tie that together into a ad profile.

Reactions: jimthing

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The moment Apple does this, i'm gonna download all of my data :)

If we all believe that and we all think "Apple must be the claim to fame" in all of this, then aren't we all just cherry picking as well as uses?

Just saying. If thinks that, then i don't think they'd be online, until companies world-wide started doing random MAC addresses every-time device reboot, or unlocks. (not a bad idea for security)

Very similar to way way virtual machines generate a private MAC address, except its always changing. Perhaps that would be going overboard... Better to just be its own private MAC addressing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.