Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several readers have notified us that they have received e-mails from Apple notifying them their account user names and passwords for Apple Learning Interchange (ALI) may have been compromised. The potential security breach is limited to the ALI service and includes only non-sensitive information, although Apple warns that if members use the same name and password on other sites, they should consider changing those passwords.
Dear Apple Learning Interchange member,

We recently learned that the security of Apple Learning Interchange (ALI) members' names and passwords may have been compromised. These accounts are limited to accessing the ALI discussion board and do not contain sensitive information such as credit card or social security numbers.

If you use this name and password combination on other websites and services, you may risk vulnerability on those sites. We strongly recommend that you change your password on any site that might have the same name and password combination.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your continued participation in ALI.

Sincerely,
The Apple Learning Interchange Team

In addition, the Apple Learning Interchange site is currently offline.

105914-ali_offline_500.png

Apple Learning Interchange offers resources for K-12 educators, providing open access to lesson plans and social networking opportunities. The site also offers technology advice and other teaching resources.

Article Link: Apple Learning Interchange Account Security Compromised

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
R U that bored

Was someone or a group that bored that they had to hack into apple?

You know who it was ? Balmer & Gates trying to figure out how Apple does it:apple:

Seriously if you have that much talent why not put it too good use

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Sounds like all they got was a bunch of user id's and password's. I hope their time was worth it. :D

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
That's taking 'Learning Interchange' a little too far!

darijoe

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
What? You must be #1 on the Apple apologists list.

:rolleyes: I guess it did sound rather larger than life. I was unaware that apple had an "apologists list." lol :p I would be honored to be #1! But still, if there weren't these annoying hackers around then Apple wouldn't have a problem, would they? Doesn't even matter whether it involves Apple or not! I'm not protecting Apple because it's Apple - just a little bit of logic...

garybau

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
it's a bit more serious than that!!!

The appleID that is used requires the same user name and password as the dotmac account, now mobileme accopunt

this in turn is IDENTICAL to the iTunes tore accoun t...

so..a bit more serious than has been currently identified.

how liable are apple for changed passwords to the mobileme accounts..which then lock out the owners

and the one-click purchases which are then accessible

so you see not only a major embarassment but a financial nightmare as the unauthorised purchases are indistinguishable from the authorised.

also

the message from apple was very similar to the spam that was going around a couple of months ago

why would you respond to seemingly a SPAM message...

a mess!!:mad:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It sounds like ID and password data was leaked or stolen from Apple, as opposed to someone writing a bot to guess passwords and break into many accounts from the outside.

It's good that Apple is pointing out a dangerous consequence - that some people use the same ID/PW at multiple sites, so when one is compromised they are all compromised.

I've recommended ALI to teachers for years, and I guess I still will, despite this security breach.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ouch. but they are being good about the notifications and helping people make sure that they need to cover their bases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.