Apple Leather Case or Speck Pixelskin HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Thomasss95, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Thomasss95, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Which case would you prefer/buy, the Apple Leather Case or the Speck Pixelskin HD?
    Other suggestions for similar cases that are good are welcome ofcourse! :)

Edit: What do you guys think of the Joy Factory Royce?

2. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

Those are two very different cases... Great cases, mind you, but very different.

I have both, just comes down to preference of TPU, or leather that WILL age with use (read the disclaimer on the package before buying).

I'm currently sporting Apple leather case in black and loving it.

The pixelskin HD is a nice case as well.

3. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Thanks for the reply! :)

I know they are pretty different, but I am looking for a nice, good quality and slim case.
    Which one do you prefer if you had ti choose?

Could you maybe post a few pics of the case next to each other?

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Pixelskin HD, but I'd put skins/tape/whatever on the back and edges to improve the fit & protect the phone.

Also consider the Magpul.

5. reNeglect macrumors member

Power Support Air Jacket get the black one since its rubberized, perfect fit and finish like the leather one.

Ordered mines last week.. hoping for it to arrive this friday hopefully.

6. celly macrumors 6502

The Pixelskin is a great minimalist case (I have one for my 4s). The Apple leather case for my 5s is the best minimalist case I've used for any phone. Super light. I love leather cases.

Worth the few extra $ to go Apple, but it sounds like black is the only colour that doesn't show much wear. I've used my black case for 5 days now and it looks like it did when it left the packaging. Sure feels nice in your hand.

Even people who don't like cases are singing its praises (there are MANY threads on the forums on this case).

7. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Thanks for all the replies so far! :)

I just saw the Speck SmartFlex on the Speck website and I was wondering if it's the exact same case as the Pixelskin HD with a bit of a different look?
    Speck SmartFlex: http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/smartflex-for-iphone-5.html

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

These must be really new, I've never seen them in stores before. I like the look, and the buttons look like the CandyShell buttons on a PixelSkin, which would be IDEAL!.... anyone seen em in-store?

9. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

They are web-only I think...

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I hope Amazon or Apple gets them.

11. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

I hope that too, then it would be cheaper to buy if you live in Europe.

12. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I've got both the pixelskin hd and the black leather case. Tough choice, but for now I'd say the black leather case. I go through cases like crazy (buying them, not destroying them), and I haven't taken the leather one off since I got it. It doesn't really add any weight to the phone, neither does the pixelskin, really. But overall, i like the look with just the leather case. Asleep mentioned the Magpul case, would definitely recommend that one. It's a little bulkier than both, but it's definitely worth it.

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I love the look and feel of the Apple Leather Case, I just don't like the discoloration issue that everyone seems to be having. I am an ultra-clean-freak, and I bought the red one and just the friction from in and out of the pocket and hand already started to discolor the corners after one day of using it, so I returned it.

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Personally, I've always hated the look of the Pixelskin, so I'd absolutely go with the Apple case. It looks much more premium, IMO.

15. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I really wanted the red one, but opted for the black. Based on what you're experiencing and others on here, I'm glad I did. Haven't noticed any wear on the black, but dirt and anything else wouldn't really show as much as on the lighter colors. Really disappointed that most are having this issue on the Red as i'm a fan of the black/red combo.

16. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Hopefully Apple gets the feedback and fixes the issue. I've had plenty of leather colored cases (aka Sena) that have no discoloration or issues with premature eja..... I mean wearing.

17. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I wouldn't get either. Pick up a Belkin Candy Grip Sheer or a Caudabe Perimetric. The Apple leather case is just astoundingly overpriced. And I personally am not a fan of the Pixelskin. Just doesn't look good, but that's my opinion of course.

18. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Not sure why you pipe in like this? Not to be rude, but if you're a server and someone asks if they should get chicken or steak, you'd be a fool to say "neither because I don't like either" ... absurd. Clearly I, as with many people, like both. So I wasn't looking for a "they both suck" answer, I was looking for a valuable response. Thanks tho

19. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

First off, you must be one sensitive individual if you think I was rude. Second, and more importantly, you apparently missed the last sentence of OP's post where he solicits suggestions for OTHER cases.

20. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

First off, thanks for all the replies!

Second, keep it nice guys! ;)
    I appreciate all opinions and help.
    Positive ones are always nicer to read, but negative ones are helpful too...

What do you guys think of the Joy Factory Royce by the way?

21. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

22. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

23. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Could you explain why you prefer it over the Pixelskin HD?

24. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

apple leather... great case. good premium feel. although there have been numerous accounts of it fading and getting worn, i think it depends on your tolerance level and liking. i got the brown, and i don't mind if it ages/worn. i think it ads charm to it and part of the leather quality. now if you don't want your leather to fade, then don't get the light colors, opt for black/red/brown. OR just completely skip it and find something else. overall i love the apple leather case, its sexy looking.