Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Anyone else experiencing the color on the Leather Link band to be fading away? I don't recall the name of this color but its from last year.
F04FB053-FDD8-4ECB-92D5-B8C76E126F27_1_102_o.jpeg

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Yeah I work at the home office desk quite a bit. Is it supposed to fade like that? The leather underneath appears to be brown.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My colleague's band (same color) looks exactly like that. I have two leather links, black and saddle brown. Only the black one still looks basically perfect. The brown one has the beginnings of the same kind of wear your picture shows, evens though I've only worn the brown strap maybe 50 times. 😡

Edit: I posted a picture last year: link

Reactions: CharlesShaw

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Thats a "made in china" thing
(if not comfortable with my usage, replace with made in Vietnam, Indonesia....)

• Haha
Reactions: Jackbequickly

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I have two like that. Both have worn away like the photo. The umber one is only 5 months old. I think I've lost 5 bands in the past year. Two leather link and 3 braided solo loop bands. That's $500 in bands that last barely a year?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
I only use these same leather bands but mostly in black or umber. Your band looks like that from wear. Some rough surface is quickly wearing the exterior of the dyed leather away. Think about what surfaces you are exposing your band too. What is your office desk’s surface made from. If it is really rough, maybe consider covering it or a portion of it with glass.

Vangeli

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2021
The leather in the Leather Link isn’t dyed like older style Watch Bands, it’s painted. All color options will wear down to dark brown/black leather. That isn’t to say it’s worse than dyed; there are plenty of bright and vibrant colors not possible with the dyed leather and even expensive bands like many from Hermès are painted. And painted leather can be a little better protected from the elements. Apple could of course improve the quality of the paint and leather on their bands but it’s more a question of how thin and flexible they’ve engineered them to be.

Ever since Apple switched all of their leather softgoods to painted with the iPhone 12, I recommend only going with black or near-black colors those will not show wear as easily.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
The leather in the Leather Link isn’t dyed like older style Watch Bands, it’s painted. All color options will wear down to dark brown/black leather. That isn’t to say it’s worse than dyed; there are plenty of bright and vibrant colors not possible with the dyed leather and even expensive bands like many from Hermès are painted. And painted leather can be a little better protected from the elements. Apple could of course improve the quality of the paint and leather on their bands but it’s more a question of how thin and flexible they’ve engineered them to be.

Ever since Apple switched all of their leather softgoods to painted with the iPhone 12, I recommend only going with black or near-black colors those will not show wear as easily.
this is super interesting. I didn't know that the leather moved to painted with the launch of the 12. you can tell there's been a difference in wear across the cases but didn't know it stemmed from the painting vs dye. thank you!

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
If that’s the Golden Brown in the photo, that’s exactly what mine has done. Thought it was just dirty and tried to clean it, which made it worse. I had not worn it long, and it was not treated roughly.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
Chance is good that if you took this band to the Apple Store they might replace it. Maybe not the same color but would give you a choice.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Welcome to the world of recent Apple leather. It all wears like this, straps, cases, everything. It’s frustratingly poor quality.

Wasn’t always this way…

Reactions: PaladinGuy

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I’m reviving this to add, I’ve worn my leather link literally <20 hours and this has happened. A lightly damp microfibres rubs the finish off. It’s absolutely shocking quality

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
I would still like Apple to bring back the leather bands and cases! There is no shortage of cowhide and other than trying to placate the green people, there is no reason to not go back to leather!

Reactions: bmac4

Bichon

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2019
I'd like them to bring back real leather too, but if they don't, the auto makers have come up with some reasonably convincing synthetic alternatives (e.g., NuLuxe, SensaTec, etc.) that I'd much rather have than something like FineWoven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
I'd like them to bring back real leather too, but if they don't, the auto makers have come up with some reasonably convincing synthetic alternatives (e.g., NuLuxe, SensaTec, etc.) that I'd much rather have than something like FineWoven.

The FineWoven thing was an Apple disaster for sure! I ordered a case for my 15 PM and it arrived before my phone on introduction day. I returned the FineWoven case the same day it arrived.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.