Apple Legal vs x86 Mac OS X

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacBidouille reported late last week that Apple Legal has taken action against the information floating around the web demonstrating successful use of Mac OS X on 3rd party PC hardware.

This is exactly what Apple Legal has started to do last night (Central Europe time) by sending us an amazingly aggressive email asking for the immediate removal of all links to the videos showing OSX x86 booting from non-Apple certified SDK PC.
MacBidiuille notes that Apple will have a difficult time keeping these efforts under check... especially once Mac OS X for Intel becomes publicly available. At present, it appears Apple is pursuing legal action to suppress the information.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
jvaska said:
And why shouldn't they?
Exactly - everything is up in the air for Apple's Mac on Intel right now. It's best for them to keep a tight rein of this rather than have people badmouthing the whole thing before it's implemented.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Good... I wonder why they didn't do this sooner... i noticed these videos out there about a week ago.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Go apple, don't let the fools talk stupid things, I agree on the *public* information about Mac OS X (x86) from the research point of view, talk about it if you know macs, but don't let stupid users put their hands on this software and then say "Macs suck , I won't buy it, it crashes every hour".
There is always relativity. But I'm from the "use it as research/development but don't let the joe to get it".

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I'm surprised that they've had to take legal action this early... They've only released developer kits, and that was only 2 and a half months ago. People are really into hacking these days don't you think?

I can't believe it didn't take them longer to do this, and in turn it would take longer for Apple to respond. I thought there wouldn't be any legal pressure until the systems were released to the public.

Its a good thing that Apple is going after these people... the last thing we want is for OS X to be avaible on any PC......

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Apple, dominance comes with sacrifices.

They really better have something up their sleeves.

jon

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Some of you guys are such fanboys. It's ridiculous to send cease-and-desist letters to get videos of computers booting withdrawn... Doesn't exactly do wonders for my impression of the company. I can see if the site was offering cracked OS X torrents or something; but videos? Sheesh.

I can't imagine that these videos were going to cause the company much harm, because any such version of OS X is likely will be unsupported and will only be usable only by technically-inclined hobbyist types anyway. Fortunately this happened with the developers' edition, and now Apple will be locking it down better in future releases.

Anyway this was a terrible move as far as PR goes for not much benefit as far as IP protection goes.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
I cannot see why Apple can order MacBidouille to remove those videos. It's not like they are distributing it like some tracker sites, its just a video to show that it works. I don't even remember them saying that they'd done it (maybe they did), but for all Apple know it could be someone else's video, plus if Apple didn't want this to happen maybe they should have locked down the Mac OS X x86 a bit harder.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple doesn't get it as they did not get it back in 1984.

The best thing that could happen to Mac OS X is to run on any PC out there. It is either that or the incredibly shrinking market share.

Apple should allow Mac OS X to run on Mactel, then on Dell and HP and then on the rest of the PCs. That is the only way to compete with Windows and Linux.

BTW, eventually all OSes will be very --very-- similar. So now it is the moment to do the move and take over market share!

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Apple Needs to Take Action, But Not This Way

Apple has to make sure it has tight control of OSx86 (the product), because it has to be able to regualte who can use a Mac. I don't know how, but removing videos from a news site proving it ca be done doesn not seem like its smart.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Hmmm PR for sure super nerds.

I never hear about this stuff outside of Macrumors and tech places.

The average user doesn't know this is going on.

Hell the average user doesn't know what switching to iNtel means.

haha I typed that my accident.

I guess I'm used to typing lowercase "i"s and then capitol letters that follow.....

Anticipat3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Yawn.

This is way, way too big for Apple to be able to keep under wraps. The truth is out there.

It's a losing battle for Apple, people can and will find ways to run their OS on generic hardware unless they take drastic actions to prevent it, and by drastic actions, I don't mean threatening emails, I mean hardware devices that are effective in preventing the software from being run on non-apple machines.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
It's true

Yes, the rumor is true. Starting today we are selling OS X in a box. I know we said it wasn't going to happen, but due to overwhelming demand we are compelled ($$$) to give our customers what they want. So without further ado, I would like to introduce Michael Dell to come on stage...

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
So it begins! You know it would be kind of fun working at apple legal I think so one looks at you the wrong way and BOOM!, you send them cease and desist email. :D

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Marx55 said:
Apple doesn't get it as they did not get it back in 1984.

The best thing that could happen to Mac OS X is to run on any PC out there. It is either that or the incredibly shrinking market share.

Apple should allow Mac OS X to run on Mactel, then on Dell and HP and then on the rest of the PCs. That is the only way to compete with Windows and Linux.

BTW, eventually all OSes will be very --very-- similar. So now it is the moment to do the move and take over market share!
You've forgotten that they tried that before in the 90's. There was almost no Apple left after that. They get it, trust me. And last time I checked, Apple was doing rather well as a company. :) Remember, Apple's biggest profit is from their hardware, not OS X.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
not news to me, but has anyone actually done this here? I tried with my friend/fellow mac addict just for fun but we had to go to dinner before the file was finished downloading :(

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
rinseout said:
It's ridiculous to send cease-and-desist letters to get videos of computers booting withdrawn... Doesn't exactly do wonders for my impression of the company. I can see if the site was offering cracked OS X torrents or something; but videos? Sheesh.
It is extremely common, and good business practice, to keep a lid on videos of pre-released stuff. Technically, the people that made them had to break the law and their contracts to do it. By contract, they're not even allowed to publish performance numbers, let alone a video of the unreleased product in operation. Just like a video of the iPod before it was released would have been surpressed, it's no different with software.

dwwd

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
OSx for x86

I think Apple will release OSx for every PC on earth BUT not now...

... they will do it a week before micro$oft releases Windows Vista.

What would you buy for your PC?