Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_square-250x250.jpg
An overnight report from 9to5Mac claims the new operating system for the revamped Apple TV will be called "tvOS", and it appears Apple may indeed have moved to trademark that term as long ago as November 2014.

A series of trademark filings for the name were made in mid-to-late May in a number of countries by a company called Television OnStream LLC, which appears to be a shell corporation created just days earlier and based out the Corporation Trust Center in Delaware. Apple commonly uses this tactic to hide its trademark filings, although many other companies employ similar strategies.

The mid-May timing is also interesting given it occurred just a few weeks ahead of WWDC where Apple was rumored to be introducing the new Apple TV until what appeared to be a last-minute decision to push back the announcement to this month.

All of the May trademark applications cite a priority date of November 2014 for a filing made in Jamaica, yet another of Apple's typical strategies for hiding trademarks. Jamaica is a frequent location for Apple's initial filings as the country does not publish an online database of trademark filings, making it difficult to track them down.

tvos_trademark.jpg

In another similarity to Apple's previous trademark patterns, Television OnStream LLC conveniently shortens to an acronym of "tvOS", much as Apple previously hid its "iPad" trademark behind a company named IP Application Development.

One final similarity between the "tvOS" filing and known Apple trademarks is the use of specific law firms to handle the filings. For example, Television OnStream used London-based firm Locke Lord to handle its Italian filing, and Apple used the same firm to protect its "watch OS" trademark in Italy earlier this year. In Turkey, the same trademark lawyer handled both Apple's "watch OS" filing and Television OnStream's "tvOS" application, and in Mexico both companies used the law firm of Arochi & Lindner to handle their filings.

As is common with these filings, there is no concrete link between Apple and the new "tvOS" trademark, but given recent rumors and a number of similarities to Apple's past behavior in hiding trademark filings, it appears likely Apple is indeed behind the "tvOS" applications.

Update 8:02 AM: iGeneration points out that references to tvOS are also currently hidden within Apple's iTunes Connect interface for developers.

(Thanks, Rodney "ArmCortexA8" and Lennart!)

Article Link: Apple Likely Filed 'tvOS' Trademark for New Apple TV in November 2014

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's interesting how while Microsoft is moving to consolodate Windows 10 across desktop, tablet, smartphone, Xbox, etc, Apple is ever expanding int more OS's. iOS, OS X, Watch OS, and now tvOS?? Sounds very cumbersome... but perhaps that's better than lumping them all into one all-encompassing OS?

It is weird. Behind the scenes (and to a lesser extent, in your face) Apple keeps merging iOS and OS X. As new APIs come out, they're identical between the two platforms. Old APIs for iOS and OS X have each steadily been getting rewritten to mirror more current ones for the other.

I haven't touched watchOS... how similar is it to iOS?

Pakaku

macrumors 68030
Aug 29, 2009
It's interesting how while Microsoft is moving to consolodate Windows 10 across desktop, tablet, smartphone, Xbox, etc, Apple is ever expanding int more OS's. iOS, OS X, Watch OS, and now tvOS?? Sounds very cumbersome... but perhaps that's better than lumping them all into one all-encompassing OS?
If iOS is derived from OS X, and WatchOS is derived from iOS, then it might not be as cumbersome on the inside if tvOS is derived from one of the above.

Corrode

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
The mid-May timing is also interesting given it occurred just a few weeks ahead of WWDC where Apple was rumored to be introducing the new Apple TV until what appeared to be a last-minute decision to push back the announcement to this month.

I was skeptical of all the rumours suggesting SO many products being launched at today's keynote but forgot this little anecdote. If tvOS was supposed to launch at WWDC but was pushed back, they have no choice but to launch it on iPhone day. Gonna be an exciting morning!!

Reactions: Jd3774life

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm actually waiting for :apple:OS.

I think that if iOS and OS X ever merge (I don't really want them to), it will be called "Apple OS"

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so many names...OSX, iOS, WatchOS, tvOS, CarOS, maybe HomeOS, HeathOS...
yes, because apple is doing his own OS, not like most of the other brands who imports googles OS.
They need diff name to be easy to be differentiate

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i just hope the 3rd gen gets a new UI as well. i dont care about siri one bit and cant justify yet another streaming box

in apples case its probably better to keep things separate. i mean take a look at the mess that is iTunes + Music App + Apple Music

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009

I think you hit the nail on the head.... I've been saying this for years about Microsoft. I think it is a company culture. Even from an individual program perspective, for example, Outlook is a program that tries to do WAY too much. Apple was smart to split this into 3 separate programs (Mail, iCal, Address Book etc.)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I'm sorry you grew up way too fast.
Not up, but old.

I like a bit of fresh, playful air.
Not everything has to be sterile, rid of colors (yes, I'm looking at you, Finder and iTunes!) and too clean.
I enjoy the Apple design philosophy, but I also like that philosophy being surrounded by a little bit of, dare I say, different thinking. ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

This is encouraging. Apple seems to take naming pretty seriously. I would take this as confirmation (as much as it can be as inferred by legal activities on behalf of some company that might be Apple referenced on a rumors site) that this won't be minor tweaks to the existing :apple:TV OS. If they are choosing a new name, I suspect there's enough change from the "as is" to merit it. And that would imply that Apple has been more seriously focused on the potential of this little box for more than the last few months leading into this even... which can only be a good thing. I look forward to seeing this part of the session. I hope they wow us.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Reminds me of OUYA but properly done. I imagine a lot of casual games on the TV.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
so many names...OSX, iOS, WatchOS, tvOS, CarOS, maybe HomeOS, HeathOS...
There won't be a homeOS or healthOS as those are just systems that run inside iOS, watchOS, and soon tvOS. I do wonder why Apple feels the need to differentiate this from iOS unless it's to create a distinction that iOS apps are not the same thing as tvOS apps.

Reactions: BJMRamage

codewrangler

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Dallas, TX

I think Microsoft is doing the same thing, they are just calling all the OS's the same. Whereas Apple is acknowledging the fact that, even though the core's are the same, different categories of devices require different User Interaction and therefore should have a unique name, to indicate as much.

Reactions: Keane16
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.