Apple logo on the lid isn't fading out when the lid is closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vantt1, Sep 12, 2014.

1. vantt1 macrumors member

Ever since I upgraded to Mavericks from Mountain Lion on my Early 2013 MacBook Pro with 15" Retina Display, I've found that instead of smoothly fading out, the Apple logo on the back of the screen just cuts out. I know that the logo shares the light from the display's backlight, so it means the screen isn't fading out, but just turns off instantly.

What it usually does:

[​IMG]

What it's supposed to do (did every time on ML, rarely does on Mavericks):

[​IMG]

It's a pet peeve, I know, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? I'd prefer to fix it if I could, since the MacBook Pro is such a beautiful device.

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I doubt it's a problem. Perhaps there was a reason behind doing so?

3. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

4. LuvKaya macrumors member

uhhmmmm, is this really a complaint?

I think you should turn your head when you close your computer to avoid looking at it cutting off instead of fading out.

5. vantt1 thread starter macrumors member

It's not a big problem, but it's a noticeable one. For a company who puts aesthetics pretty high up on their list (and assuming this was intentional), why would Apple decide to break this particular aesthetic feature?

The logo still fades on when the lid is opened, which is weird considering it just cuts off when it's closed.

6. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Try going back to mountain lion see if it goes back. Then you know if it's hardware or software related

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

My late 2013 MBPr running 10.9.3 just cuts off too.

I think it looks MUCH better cutting off than fading out. That's just my opinion.

8. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

9. STVA macrumors newbie

Reminds me of the song Bell Bottom Blues by Derek and the Dominos (one of Eric Clapton's bands.)

"I don't want to fade away."

10. vantt1 thread starter macrumors member

I don't really want to go through the hassle of downgrading because Mavericks has better multiple desktop management, so I'm going to wait for Yosemite and if the logo still cuts out, I'm just going to have to face reality and deal with it.

Try opening the lid to the password screen, then close it again. Does it fade or cut?

11. patrick001 macrumors member

patrick001

Right on. This is the perfect thread to read when high. All I can ask the OP is why?

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

When I open the lid it fades. It has to do with the screen going off and coming back on from sleep.

Dude I'm the most nit picky anal guy when it comes to my hard earned money being spent in the thousands on computers when you can get a computer for 300 bucks, but dang dude this is...too much :confused:

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

The logo fades on because the ambient light sensor is trying to make sense of your surroundings.

As far as it cutting out: seriously? I think the solution would be a shrink. A good one.

14. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I have no idea whether this will work, but you could try the infamous reset PRAM and/or SMC idea. :D

15. vantt1 thread starter macrumors member

Because it used to fade on Mountain Lion. It was just a peculiarity I noticed.

Looks like I'm most-er ;)

What's this about a shrink?

Yeah, I've done the SMC and PRAM reset a few times, and the logo does fade once in a while. But after some time, it stops fading.

16. vantt1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I may as well give in to this change. It seems unlikely that Yosemite will make it fade again.

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

Because it's nucking futs to think such a minute detail that has no bearing whatsoever on the quality or the usability of the machine even remotely matters.

Coming on this forums nearly makes me think half the world population has OCD.

18. vantt1 thread starter macrumors member

When Apple emphasizes "perfection" so much and put effort into details that other companies usually don't, It doesn't seem like that far of a stretch to me.

But yes, I do think that obsessing over a logo that used to fade but no longer does is pushing it a bit. I did say it was a pet peeve, didn't I? So it's natural that it's a minor annoyance that is particular to myself only.

19. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

my logo fades on my 13" MBPr 2014 model... i'm also running Yosemite

20. vantt1 thread starter macrumors member

There is still hope.

21. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Mine fades in and out perfectly. And very smooth might I add. From boot, shutdown. Or opening and shutting it to and from sleep mode. Even when an external display is attached when you open and shut it it still fades nice and smooth. It's something I noticed soon after I got my rMBP (Late 2013) in July. Of course I got it like one week before the 2014, but oh well. Not complaining over .2GHz...

This is also running Yosemite PB2. I thought it did it in Mavericks, but I don't remember know because I've been on Yosemite the majority of my time owning it.

I know my '09 MB on Snow Leopard sure doesn't fade, haha. Though I don't remember if it did when I was on the Yosemite PB on this model. But I think it's only an rMBP thing. Possibly the MBA too, but I haven't checked.

22. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I literally only go on this forum to:

-Read the threads with their HILARIOUS topics and replies. The Apple 9.9.2014 event invitation thread with everyone trying to find connections in the picture is a classic, just to name one example.

-Save a few unsuspecting newbies and people looking for genuine advice from the "16GB of RAM for Chrome" or "You need a dGPU to run mine craft" BS.

Honestly, helping genuine people get genuine advice is 80% why I still come on here. The other 20% is pure entertainment.

23. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

It shuts off instantly when the OS goes to sleep. It fades out when it does not go to sleep (but goes to sleep a bit later). On the rMBP it always turns off instantly when closed, but if you open it and close it within a few seconds or so, it will fade away instead.

24. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Just tested on my Mac running the Yosemite PB3 that mine does fade rather than instantly turn off. I can't remember if this was the same in Mavericks but I assume so.

25. vantt1 thread starter macrumors member

Cool beans! That's one more reason to upgrade to Yosemite for me when it gets released.