Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
It might not be so bad if it faded or turned off when you have it to your ear...like the screen does.
I agree the iphone needs a flash, karaoke bars are to dark for blackmail worthy pics without it. :D
...there could be more blackmail with video, but that's another thread...and we all know that's coming.

Either way...I don't need another reason to attract theft.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
If it does light up, it will be as a FLASH for the Camera.

All indicators are pointing at this thing being marketed for its camera capabilities. A flash would go right with that.

lol yeah right

all indicators.. what indicators

you mean "all speculation"

I honestly hope the glowing apple is ONLY used as a light source for the camera, if it lights up every time the phone is used, I too will be whipping out the electrical tape.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
this would be absolutely pointless unless it turns out to be a camera flash. My #1 hope for the new iPhone is a notification LED, but not on the back of the damn thing, that's useless.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I guess some people are really running out of meaningful materials, logo light up? How important!

How about Palm Pre generate a small bright spot on screen follow your touch trace? I didn't see anyone brag about that, which is obviously more useful than a glowing logo on the back.

gil.minto

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Ireland
I kinda like the idea of having the Apple logo glow, even if it's just to notify us of texts or calls. That said, I'd love if it could be used as a flash like people are saying, but also as a torch. My old Sony phone had a flash that could be turned on as a torch.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I will believe it when I see it. I will like it as long as I can control when it comes on. Like someone said, dark movie theaters=not cool. Showing it off to some friends=Cool! Using it as a flash is interesting but I think the best idea posted on here is to use it as a call/message notification.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
That is cool and all but the most important word of that article is:

"A tipster has seen the new matte iPhone and the bugger has a light-up Apple. That’s right: it lights the freak up."

MATTE!

MATTE!!!!

MATTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he means the matte back that was *leaked* btw its a fake leak i was look for a replacement for a crack iphone 3g back and saw it as a replacement cover!

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
My theory is that the Apple Logo will become the camera flash. Imho, the iPhone desperately needs a flash.

Before any of you camera geeks poo-poo the idea of a flash for the camera, just remember that the MAJORITY of users just want to take a d*mn picture in low lighting.

w00master

That would be an awesome way of integrating the flash into the phone.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I kinda like the idea of having the Apple logo glow, even if it's just to notify us of texts or calls. That said, I'd love if it could be used as a flash like people are saying, but also as a torch. My old Sony phone had a flash that could be turned on as a torch.

The problem with using the Logo as a notifier is that the iPhone is either 1) in your pocket or 2) lying face UP on a table/chair/whatever.

Using it as a torch/flashlight? *shrugs* I guess that would be nice. I guess. :rolleyes:

Imho, the only "useful" potential in this is that it's a camera flash.

w00master

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
If this is true it'll probably be lit from the back light in the display and thus only on when the screen is active.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I could see how a person between the ages of 12 to 14 would think this would be "cool". An adult would not be caught dead using a phone with this on it. Ain't gona happen.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
We might not get the oled screen, but we might get a back led.:apple:

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
How awfully kitsch. Why would you want to advertise freely for a company in lights every time they used their phone?

For the same reason you'd want to advertise freely for a company in lights every time you open your computer. :D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My theory is that the Apple Logo will become the camera flash. Imho, the iPhone desperately needs a flash.

Before any of you camera geeks poo-poo the idea of a flash for the camera, just remember that the MAJORITY of users just want to take a d*mn picture in low lighting.

w00master

Good idea, but flash needs to be above the camera lens to avoid strange shadows.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
it will have to be an option to shut it off or only be used for specific purpose - camera flash, ring alert....either way - I dont care for the idea - someone will be selling a boat load of cases should be true.

thisisarcadia

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
New Orleans, LA
I just ordered a roll of black electrical tape to cover it up. There is no way I will be walking around with a glowing apple when I talk. Hopefully it will only turn on by command.

i imagine with the light it will be intergrated with the sensors, so lets say you are calling someone when you put the phone to your ear the screen goes black and so does the light! that is how i think it will work! i think it would also be cool if the light pulsed while it was charging just like the macbook pulses when it is sleeping!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
i imagine with the light it will be intergrated with the sensors, so lets say you are calling someone when you put the phone to your ear the screen goes black and so does the light! that is how i think it will work! i think it would also be cool if the light pulsed while it was charging just like the macbook pulses when it is sleeping!

Perfect solution, although the pulsating light will be distracting to us sad individuals who sleep with our iPhone :D

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
I've heard it will be used for a notification beacon.

Imagine this scenario if you will...

Schiller (and crew) are showing off the new 3.0 features in action and they get to MMS. "Someone", sends him an MMS and he pulls the new iPhone out of his pocket with the Apple logo pulsing white light indicating the received new message.

I dunno, just a daydream I had :D

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas

Schiller (and crew) are showing off the new 3.0 features in action and they get to MMS. "Someone", sends him an MMS and he pulls the new iPhone out of his pocket with the Apple logo pulsing white light indicating the received new message.

Very possible, the light could have a variety of uses.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003

A notification light is much-needed, but it's completely useless on the back on the phone. Do you put your phone face-down on the table?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.