Apple Loses Out as Netflix Inks Content Deal With Former President Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Former United States President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama have signed a multiyear production deal with Netflix that will see the two producing television shows and films for the service, reports The New York Times.

Though Netflix had been in negotiations with the Obamas for several months, Apple was rumored to be interested in working with the duo had the Netflix deal fallen through. Apple has been developing a slew of original television shows, and a deal with Michelle and Barack Obama would have been a big win.

[​IMG]
    Image via Getty Images​

Obama's deal with Netflix will allow for him to create content that will reach millions of people both in the United States and internationally through a new production company he created alongside Michelle Obama called "Higher Ground Productions."

According to Netflix, the Obamas will create "scripted series, unscripted series, docu-series, documentaries, and features" that are meant to highlight the issues and themes the president worked on during his eight years in office.
    Obama has said that he does not plan to use Netflix to wage a public campaign against current president Donald Trump or to fight against conservative media outlets.

While Apple did not secure a deal with the Obamas, the company has more than a dozen original television shows in the works at the current time. Most of the shows are dramas, with one real estate-related docu-series in the works. Apple does not have any politically-oriented shows planned, and is said to be aiming to keep its content family friendly.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Loses Out as Netflix Inks Content Deal With Former President Obama

2. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

3. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

What is your favorite episode of CarPool Karaoke?

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

They could have had a huge hit on their hands, yet they'll leave it to Netflix to suck up the views

5. gugy macrumors 68030

Either way will be refreshing to hear again from Obama. Boy, I miss him.

6. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Obama was the most racist president in our history. Who encourages thugs to shoot cops? Who hires a painter that depicts the decapitation of white women to also paint his self-portrait? Who brings a Muslim kid who built a clock that looked like a bomb to the White House? Answer to all, Obama.

7. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Good, stop trying to create content and focus on what you were put on earth for.... computers.

8. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

The one where James Corden, the host, is on his show ― it's only 1 episode

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Susan Rice just made it onto the board, so I'm going to go with a big "no ****ing duh" on this one.

Prepare for more "White Helmet" "Humanitarian" propaganda from Netflix.

10. hagar macrumors 6502a

Queue the comments of Trump fan boys angrily stating they would switch to Android if Apple got the deal. Only to realise few minutes later they now have to cancel their Netflix subscription... But then decide logic, reasoning and principles don't apply to them.

11. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Give me a break. 12 presidents kept black human beings as their personal property.

12. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Can’t wait for this. I love that man. When the trash currently occupying the Oval Office is finally disposed of, he will never be remembered this fondly. He’s well aware of that, hence the reason he’s so fixated on Obama.

13. entropyfl macrumors regular

I really hope Apple have some big plans for their video streaming service. Netflix have some amazing content at the moment and Amazon have a few good shows as well.

14. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

15. nfl46 macrumors 604

Personally, I’d been okay if Obama could have done additional terms.

16. doomfront macrumors regular

I learned a long time ago you're better off ignoring people who think like this.

17. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

I have zero interest in watching any former President have a show.... regardless of political affiliation. Zero. Zip. Nada.

18. eatrains macrumors regular

Glad I subscribe to Netflix!

19. RichardMZhlubb macrumors regular

RichardMZhlubb

You do know that those “decapitation” portraits showed a scene from the Bible, right? The same scene portrayed by many artists over the last 500 years?

20. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

As much as I respect the Obamas, I think that this is beneath them. Seems like a money grab. There is much more important work to be done.

21. Bollockser macrumors regular

22. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Too bad, you're missing out on some great original and exclusive content. In case you didn't know, as a Netflix subscriber ... you don't have to watch this show.

23. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Strictly speaking are you sure they were all personal property rather than company property?

24. RichardMZhlubb macrumors regular

RichardMZhlubb

So, Netflix signed the most admired man in America to produce content. As a Netflix stockholder, I’m thrilled.

25. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Just the thought of this content made me "throw up in my mouth".