Apple loves HUGE boxes!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by drakeshipway, Dec 1, 2008.

1. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw this on Gizmodo link

Apple has shipped a Mini DisplayPort Adapter in a box bigger than the Macbook box!
    They're at it again.. shipping the tiniest accessories in the biggest boxes!

pce :) :apple:

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

wow, thats ridiculous. they could have just used a pouch...

3. drakeshipway thread starter macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

i find that hard to believe, they coulda just used an envelope. they probably didnt wanna wrinkle the bag! haha

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yeah it is actually a bit hard to believe.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

was that pun intended?

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

They probably have a one size fits most box. Doesn't surprise me really. Apparently they haven't bought anything from Amazon (not a reseller).

8. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I bought my macbook straight from apple. The video adapter I bought with it was tucked inside the macbook box close to the power supply. Mind you it did come in another box, just slightly bigger than the macbook box, pretty much like the one pictured there, actually. Maybe they only box certain ones. Mine came from China by airmail... Maybe they get some by boat to the US no and then ship from there to lower costs and ship those in the smaller boxes...

They could just put the adapter in a Manila envelope, mind you.

9. spyderdsm macrumors member

my mini disppay port adapter came inside that huge box also and it also had a plastic air bubble thingy inside...i guess its a fragile package:rolleyes:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I ordered a bike pump and Amazon shipped it to me in a box big enough to fit a fridge.

11. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I bought my DVI to TV adapter, it came in a courier bag. So did my replacement battery.

13. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

+1 mine, which i got for free for some reason (i honestly don't know why but when i ordered my macbook on the phone i got a shipment notification a few days later and it wasnt the macbook nor my cs4...it came as a surprise in this huge box got me all excited that it was my macbook but it weighed like a feather haha), came in that same size box.

14. drakeshipway thread starter macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

hahaha

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

They probably have tons of boxes left over for other products so they're trying to eliminate those first before they start being 100% green.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

To play devil's advocate. It would be less "green" to stock tons of different sized boxes. Letting a lot sit around until something ordered can fit into one.

17. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That's really pushing it. I think we need to call a spade a spade here. Apple did a good job reducing the sizes of their Macbook boxes, but there's still room for improvement. That silly adapter bag for example has about 4x the plastic and cardboard necessary to protect the adapter. Sure it looks good with all that white space but 4x the material needed is excessive no matter how you look at it. This isn't even considering the box that it gets put in.

18. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I think it is time for someone to invent properly reusable packaging, ie standard size boxes that just require some tape to seal, but otherwise can be used again and again.

19. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

20. Molopo macrumors regular

If it was, congratulations. A spectacular pun.

Anyway, just goes to show that corporations don't give a flying **** about the environment, just the publicity that goes with "saving" it.

21. Ramius macrumors 6502

I wouldnt say corporations give a damn about environment. I think the design of the new MacBooks are an example of Apple very much caring about the world.

This package is probably a sign of something that have not yet been revised, a strategy of the past. I think the more Apple focuses on being green, the less stuff like this we will see.

But I wonder, is this actually for real? Cause why would they ship that little wire in a MacBook box??

22. stuff99 macrumors 6502

well the replacement power plugs for my 3g iphone came in this huge ass box for this tiny plug.

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I ordered a few things from Apple and the box was always a good size, not to big and nothing got damaged. Who says this guy didn't buy something else that also came in that box, because you can always believe everything you read on the internet. :rolleyes:

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I bought some RAM today (not from Apple) and here's the box:

Attached Files:

25. Molopo macrumors regular

Trust me, there isn't a single motive behind the "greener" apple that isn't 100% for profit. Why do you think apple still scored 13th out of like 16 electronics manufacturers in greenpeace's rating system? Because all they did was decrease the pollution created by what the customers see - laptops, the boxes they go in; etc. Obvious stuff. They don't mention that they dump their wastes just like everyone else, that they don't recycle, that their carbon footprint is just as big as everyone else's. I might seem cynical, but it's the sad truth.