Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today lowered the prices of AppleCare+ plans for MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro models equipped with the M1 chip. Coverage offered by the plans, as well as accidental damage fees, appear to remain unchanged.

applecare-lower-prices.jpg

In the United States, AppleCare+ for the MacBook Air now costs $199, down from $249. The new price applies to both M1 and Intel-based MacBook Air models, although Apple no longer sells the Intel-based model directly.

For the 13-inch MacBook Pro, Apple has split AppleCare+ into two separate plans for the M1 and Intel-based models, with pricing for the M1 model lowered to $249, down from $269. Notably, the price of AppleCare+ for the Intel-based 13-inch MacBook Pro remains $269, so customers opting for the Apple silicon model now receive a slight discount.

The new lower prices are also available in other countries we've checked, such as Canada, with discounts varying based on the local currency.

Customers who recently purchased AppleCare+ for one of the affected MacBook models can contact Apple Support for assistance with cancelling their current AppleCare+ plan and purchasing a new one at the lower price, according to information obtained by MacRumors, but Apple did not provide a cutoff date for eligibility.

AppleCare+ for Mac provides up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage. AppleCare+ also provides 24/7 priority access to Apple's technical support representatives by online chat or phone.

Update: The lower AppleCare+ prices for the 13-inch MacBook Air and MacBook Pro powered with the M1 chip are now available in the United Kingdom.

Article Link: Apple Lowers Prices of AppleCare+ Plans for M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: jobobiker

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Seems like many Apple are not buying the Apple care with new macs.
Usually they are reliable enough so that I've never bought it.
Just sold my 2011 MacBook pro and it was working fine.
I have 2 2014, macbook pros a 2018 mac mini and the M1 MacBook air they are all working fine.
Never had problems with macs in 30 years of using them.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Never have, never will. Except for the normal wear and tear, Apple devices I have are just as good as when I bought them.
not in my experience. i've had MacBooks die after a couple years. i remember having to pay £300-400 to fix a MacBook (which died 6 months later). if i had got AppleCare that would've been much better. if i had applecare i'd have got it fixed again but i refused to pay another £100-400.

all apple products i buy now i take the price of applecare+ into account now. the prices out of warranty are ridiculous and macbooks (again in my experience) are severely prone to break down. iphones/ipads not so much but i like to get applecare anyway incase of accidents.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Just curious: Does regular AppleCare still exist? (i.e. without damage cover).
Doesn't look like it. I just added a base model M1 MBP and only AC+ came up as an option, $279 Canadian dollars, which is $26 more if you convert $199 USD to CAD.

Apple never uses the current exchange when pricing stuff. We always get the shaft, nor do they ever periodically update the prices as exchange rate fluctuates.

Jun 7, 2021
Never have, never will. Except for the normal wear and tear, Apple devices I have are just as good as when I bought them.
It’s about peace of mind. I can bang around my phone and watch and only be worried about a hundred bucks or so instead of like 1500.

plus when it’s close to expiry whoops it fell in the tub, brand new phone.

it really does pay for itself honestly, most of the time

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Tim Cook is a stingy and greedy guy. There were already expensive high premiums due to high profit margins that were charged under Steve Jobs. But Cook raised prices across the entire Mac line (and other product lines) by around 25%.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Never had AC+ on anything. I did buy AC after a year on previous MacBooks. But Apple is no longer offering it for my MBA, so right now I’m self-insured.

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Tim Cook is a stingy and greedy guy. There were already expensive high premiums due to high profit margins that were charged under Steve Jobs. But Cook raised prices across the entire Mac line (and other product lines) by around 25%.
It's been 10 years since Cook took over, so part of that price increase could be caused by inflation, no? Also perhaps you are getting a better product than ten years ago.
But just maybe I'm wrong, and TC is just a greedy guy.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I have 2 2014, macbook pros a 2018 mac mini and the M1 MacBook air they are all working fine.

LOL - I've had the opposite experience, always needed AppleCare for my last several MacBook Pros!

I'd rather NOT need AppleCare...

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
On the phone now to get my $49 back (Education was $249 and is now $199)

1. EDIT: apple is also giving me free AirPods since I qualify for the promotion announced today.
  2. EDIT2: 15 minutes talking to 2 different people I was transferred to a 3rd person who has no idea who I am so now I have to repeat myself again. I thought Apple was better at this.
  3. EDIT3: 28 minutes now, I'm now being told I can't get a return difference.
  4. EDIT4: AirPods for free are now added but they can't do AppleCare at the store level..38 minutes in so far and transferring to the 5th person.
  5. EDIT5: 43 minutes in. I'm now talking to the 6th person. "Can I get your first and last name?"
  6. EDIT6: 51 Minutes in. "Sorry we see this as $249 on our side so we can't give you a lower price" I provided them the new AppleCare+ for MacBook Pro SKU which is S9733LL/A/ which is $199 https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/S9733LL/A/applecare-for-13-inch-macbook-pro-m1
  7. EDIT7: I'm being transferred again. "I've never seen $199 before. can we screen share?" FFS
  8. EDIT8: 1 hour and 10 minutes in, "we'll refund the $49 difference and you'll receive an email receipt"
Well..that was more than painful.

Last edited:

Archmage

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Michigan, USA
I recently got a MacBook Air. I have 4 days left to add AppleCare+ according to  > About This Mac > Service. I clicked Add and my only purchase option is $89.99/year. I don't see the $199 option. If I go with this, in a year, do I get the option to add another year for an additional $89.99?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

I’ve never had a mac that did NOT need AppleCare. Keyboard replacements, swollen batteries, screen coating peeling, broken usb-c ports, audio jack stopped working, etc. I believe most of the machines I’ve owned since 2008 other than one of my MacBook airs has benefited from apple care. At least one MacBook Air, four MacBook pros, two MacBooks, and an imac (though the imac problem was due to careless handling when it was being shipped across the country)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.