Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today reduced the estimated maximum dollar amounts that customers can receive when trading in several different Android smartphones for an iPhone. Apple also adjusted trade-in values for certain iPad and Mac models.

iPhone-trade-in-16x9.jpg

On its website, Apple displays the highest possible amount a customer can get when trading in a specific device for an Apple product, such as an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch. The listed prices only represent the highest possible value, with the final trade-in value dependent on factors such as the condition of the device.

Today's price reductions for Android smartphones are notable, with some more significant than others (price reflects maximum value and prices in brackets are previous prices).
  • Samsung Galaxy S21 5G - $260 ($325)
  • Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G - $325 ($435)
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+ - $205 ($275)
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 - $150 ($205)
  • Samsung Galaxy S10+ - $170 ($185)
  • Samsung Galaxy S10 - $150 ($160)
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e - $120 ($130)
  • Samsung Galaxy S9+ - $80 ($95)
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 - $65 ($75)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ - $60 (no change)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 - $50 (no change)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra - $405 ($545)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 20 - $285 ($385)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10 - $175 ($235)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - $120 ($130)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - $45 ($65)
  • Google Pixel 5 - $235 ($315)
  • Google Pixel 4 XL - $135 ($180)
  • Google Pixel 4 - $110 ($150)
  • Google Pixel 4a - $120 ($160)
  • Google Pixel 3 XL - $50 ($70)
  • Google Pixel 3 - $45 ($55)
  • Google Pixel 3a XL - $50 ($55)
  • Google Pixel 3a - $50 (no change)
The changes to Mac and iPad prices are listed below.
  • Baseline iPad - $200 ($205)
  • iPad Air - $335 ($345)
  • MacBook Pro - $1415 ($1630)
  • MacBook Air - $530 ($550)
  • MacBook (discontuined) - $325 ($340)
  • iMac - $1260 ($1320)
  • Mac mini - $740 ($800)

More information on Apple's trade-in program can be found on its website.

Article Link: Apple Lowers Value of Android Smartphones for iPhone Trade-In

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Not too surprising.
These trade-ins usually goes to the secondary market, and demand for older Android phones are not that great. Plus, particularly with Samsung, the S22 is coming soon, so obviously S21 phones will drop in value.

Even Samsung don't value their own handsets that much. They only give you good deals during promos and/or pre-orders. Outside that, not so much. In my country, independent e-commerce will give better value on Samsung phones than Samsung themselves.

As usual, depending on the user comfort level, one might be able to get better value selling the phone independently.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
No real news here. A three-year-old iPhone, for example, still has a decent trade-in value, while most three-year-old Android phones don't. As a current Android user, it's a good thing I don't purchase my phones with an eye towards trade-in value!

PHMA

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2019
NL
Who uses this trade-in possibility?
You can get a lot more by selling your used phone yourself!

I don't get it that people complain about the high prices Apple charge and then let Apple rip them off by trading in their old devices.

Reactions: NightFlight

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK

I don't get it that people complain about the high prices Apple charge and then let Apple rip them off by trading in their old devices.
It's not usually the same people who complain about high Apple prices who use that service.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJaP and Solomani

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Not too surprising.
These trade-ins usually goes to the secondary market, and demand for older Android phones are not that great. Plus, particularly with Samsung, the S22 is coming soon, so obviously S21 phones will drop in value.

Even Samsung don't value their own handsets that much. They only give you good deals during promos and/or pre-orders. Outside that, not so much. In my country, independent e-commerce will give better value on Samsung phones than Samsung themselves.

As usual, depending on the user comfort level, one might be able to get better value selling the phone independently.
Samsung UK are offering £530 trade in for the S21 ultra. You can't fault Samsung for giving their users good incentives to upgrade their devices. I wouldn't trade my phone in with Apple as I don't want to be ripped off. If I were a Samsung user I'd have no issue trading in my phone with them.

Right now if I upgrade my iPhone 12 pro max to the Z fold 3 I get a free galaxy watch 4 and a free starter kit which contains an S pen, case and 25W fast charger.

If I upgrade to the iPhone 13 pro max I get nothing.

Obviously there's more the upgrading a device than what free things you can get but if you are already in an ecosystem getting free things is a nice perk.

Reactions: Diesel79 and svish

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No thanks. I’m not interested in dealing with scammers on eBay or Swappa. Even locally, I wouldn’t recommend it for other reasons. Some of us like the peace of mind of trading in our devices, we’re not worried about making ‘top dollar’. It’s hassle free trading in, and if that means I take a cut in profit, I’m totally fine with that.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Selling a phone yourself can be harder for many people thanks to the ton of scammers (for both buyers and sellers) out there. Plus it's Android phone. The demand is just not that great for a used Android phone compared to an iPhone. So some people might feel this is better than nothing.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Samsung UK are offering £530 trade in for the S21 ultra. You can't fault Samsung for giving their users good incentives to upgrade their devices. I wouldn't trade my phone in with Apple as I don't want to be ripped off. If I were a Samsung user I'd have no issue trading in my phone with them.

Right now if I upgrade my iPhone 12 pro max to the Z fold 3 I get a free galaxy watch 4 and a free starter kit which contains an S pen, case and 25W fast charger.

If I upgrade to the iPhone 13 pro max I get nothing.

Obviously there's more the upgrading a device than what free things you can get but if you are already in an ecosystem getting free things is a nice perk.
It's definitely a wise decision to get a Samsung during their promo events. They can have really nice deals. But outside of promo events/pre-orders, they actually don't have that good offer. :D

Reactions: svish

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If it's handled by Phobio you might get $0 because the trackpad on the phone isn't working.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

I am.
I don’t care about making a few more bucks selling the phone by myself, because the trade-in program is very handful.

• Disagree
Reactions: NightFlight

CR45H 0V3RR1D3

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2021
Pinellas Park, Florida
They're still offering more for my P4XL than Google is, themselves. So, it's still a win. Pretty bad when your direct competitor is more interested in getting your business, than your current OEM is in keeping it. ?

AND411

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
This trade in is the biggest nonsense anyway.
I recently requested my Macbook 12 inch there, it was in top condition, no scratches, nothing.
Apple offered to give me exactly €0 for my Macbook if I bought a MB Air there.
Nobody can be that stupid, I sold my Macbook on the net for almost €500, and I bought my Air from a dealer who offered it €150 cheaper than the Apple Store.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
In addition to the other issues brought up in other replies, some people also don't want to deal with taxes coming from sales. I've sold many things on ebay and FB marketplace, and the ebay fees can seem a bit much when you don't open a store. Then taxes, delay in payments..

I have an iPad I'm debating trading for Apple credit versus selling even though I'm certain I could get a little bit more with the Pencil and Leather Sleeve.

Reactions: D_J

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I don't get why people bother trading in the phones. The offered prices are nearly always lower than they say they will offer and it's a lot of hassle I have found.

I recently got my father's 7th gen iPad traded in for a 9th gen and they said it was bent and they said the home button didn't work and offered me £72 for it, which I declined. Got it back from them and it wasn't bent and the home button works fine! Sold it on ebay for £245!

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
These prices are a joke. I'm trading in a Galaxy S6 today to Verizon for $800, while Apple is offering $65. And while eBay is incredibly frustrating these days, I've done dozens of transactions on Swappa and it's always been straightforward.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
No thanks. I’m not interested in dealing with scammers on eBay or Swappa. Even locally, I wouldn’t recommend it for other reasons. Some of us like the peace of mind of trading in our devices, we’re not worried about making ‘top dollar’. It’s hassle free trading in, and if that means I take a cut in profit, I’m totally fine with that.
I definitely understand this. Swappa is a lot better than Ebay at keeping them off, but you're still dealing with other humans. But for max dollar, it's the best. But some people just don't like the hassle, and trade-in groups know this. Trade-ins aren't about value, they're about convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.