Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Rely on a post from some random anonymous poster on Reddit for performance review of games??

That’s some fine research and writing guys...

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I'm confused; did Apple not say all iPhone apps would be available on ARM Macs? Why are these apps not?

As well as the opt out, I understand that the apps available are automatically and human curated because some just would not translate well (at all?) to a device without a touch screen.

I’ve read and watched a lot of information on the new Macs over the past few days. I’m sorry I can’t remember the source for this.

Reactions: dabotsonline

insoft.uk

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2018
I'm confused; did Apple not say all iPhone apps would be available on ARM Macs? Why are these apps not?
It’s down to the developer of that App, if the developer unticked the Apple Silicon box then it won’t be available to macOS on Apple Silicon or it’s designed in away that makes it unusable

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I’ve been playing around with the M1 mini the past few hours. Ran a typical workflow I’d have at work and while noticeably slower than the i9/5700XT iMac, it was definitely chugging along. Some operations were actually faster on the mini, mainly ML operations. Most things ran neck-to-neck. 3D rendering was noticeably slower on the mini at a rate of 1 to 4 at times.

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2014
Reinstalling macOS is impossible if you don’t have another Mac! Don’t erase your disk!
Also, the keyboard combinations to access DFU mode (to reinstall macOS using configurator 2 on another Mac to revive the broken Mac) are different to what is on apple’s website. To actually do it, you must
1) plug in the Macs using the right cable
2) power off the M1 Mac
3) press and hold the power button until you reach boot options screen, let go
4) press and hold power button for 1 second, without letting go, press left option, left control, and right shift keys for 10 seconds
5) after 10 seconds, let go of the keys, continue holding power button for 5 more seconds
6) M1 will appear in configurator 2 so you can repair it.

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2014
I’ve been playing around with the M1 mini the past few hours. Ran a typical workflow I’d have at work and while noticeably slower than the i9/5700XT iMac, it was definitely chugging along. Some operations were actually faster on the mini, mainly ML operations. Most things ran neck-to-neck. 3D rendering was noticeably slower on the mini at a rate of 1 to 4 at times.
I just ran a side by side comparison exporting the same final cut project on M1 MBA (base model) and a 2018 MBP (4x2.3GHz cores, 8GB RAM), and the MBP killed the MBA, finishing export 8 minutes faster (21 minutes to 29). However, MBA destroyed MBP in all benchmarks and render tests... very weird.

Reactions: iMi

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I just ran a side by side comparison exporting the same final cut project on M1 MBA (base model) and a 2018 MBP (4x2.3GHz cores, 8GB RAM), and the MBP killed the MBA, finishing export 8 minutes faster (21 minutes to 29). However, MBA destroyed MBP in all benchmarks and render tests... very weird.
Just ran Cinebench R23 and the iMac scored 12252 while the mini reached just 7700 on multi-core test.

Edit to say that I didn't expect them to perform the same. The iMac is obviously faster as expect. The performance of the mini is still quite impressive!

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I wonder about Win programs running in/under Wine? We have to do that a lot with vendor-supplied programs for things like lab equipment. It mostly works OK with Intel Macs.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I just saw that! Boy them programmers are smart. :) Thanks!

Reactions: gank41

chris1958

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Having homebrew itself running isn't of much help as long many important packages are not available yet. I think I will check again, what's working, next summer or so. As long as I can do only half of the things I am using my MacBook for, the new processor, as fast as it may be, is useless for me.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Guessing apps like Reddit work ok?
Apollo Reddit App works ok, even without being a native M1 app, just the iOS app. Obviously if/when @ChristianSelig updates the app to work with M1 macs natively it will have a better performance, I guess, but right now people say it is pretty good.

And to be honest, before making a mac app, I’d prefer him to focus on the bug fixes (Apollo is a great app, but the downside of having just one dev for such a big project is that bugs take a while to get fixed, and there are quite a few) and the iPad version adopting the iPadOS 14 layout with the sidebar menus and such. Although I’m not sure if he wants to differentiate the iPad app so much, IMHO he should take advantage of bigger screens.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I used AU Lab to apply some system-wide EQing to my external speakers. Anyone know a native / Universal replacement for that? Plug-ins too?
Not native, but take a look at RogueAmoeba's Audio Hijack and Loopback apps. Audio Hijack routes audio app-oriented, e.g., "send Google Chrome Audio to external speakers". Loopback is a more low-level routing app based on the old Soundflower open source app.

Reactions: dabotsonline
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.