Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Codeweavers posted a blog post and video tonight showing off CrossOver running on an Apple M1 MacBook Air. This video shows Team Fortress 2 running on a new M1 MacBook Air:

CrossOver is software (based on Wine Project) that runs Microsoft Windows apps on the Mac by translating Windows APIs into their Mac equivalents. The Codeweavers team was able to run the current version of CrossOver on the new Apple M1 MacBook Air under Rosetta 2 to achieve this feat.
That's incredible when you consider that we're on literally the cheapest Apple Silicon device you can buy - one that gets thermally throttled and is missing a GPU core.

I can't tell you how cool that is; there is so much emulation going on under the covers. Imagine - a 32-bit Windows Intel binary, running in a 32-to-64 bridge in Wine / CrossOver on top of macOS, on an ARM CPU that is emulating x86 - and it works! This is just so cool.
Codeweavers maintains a compatibility database so you can see what might work under CrossOver. They were also able to run Quicken, Among Us, and Witcher 3.

Article Link: CrossOver Allows x86 Windows Apps to Run on Apple M1 Macs

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I respect what the Wine Project has achieved, but it really has been a limited solution for limited needs. Windows apps are basically designed to run in a Windows environment. I've found that too many things fall through the cracks when you're trying to use a Windows app in Crossover. Lots of compromises. Better to wait for a real virtualization experience that supports the full range of needs of Windows users who decided to buy an M1-chip model Mac, I think.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Codeweavers posted a blog post and video tonight showing off CrossOver running on an Apple M1 MacBook Air. This video shows Team Fortress 2 running on a new M1 MacBook Air:

CrossOver is software (based on Wine Project) that runs Microsoft Windows apps on the Mac by translating Windows APIs into their Mac equivalents. The Codeweavers team was able to run the current version of CrossOver on the new Apple M1 MacBook Air under Rosetta 2 to achieve this feat. Codeweavers maintains a compatibility database so you can see what might work under CrossOver. They were also able to run Quicken, Among Us, and Witcher 3.

Article Link: CrossOver Allows x86 Windows Apps to Run on Apple M1 Macs
I can confirm that Quicken 2020 works like a charm. After I downloaded the beta of Big Sur 11.1 last night, the installation was quick and it runs faster on my M1 MacBook Air than it did on my Ice Lake MacBook Pro.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I respect what the Wine Project has achieved, but it really has been a limited solution for limited needs. Windows apps are basically designed to run in a Windows environment. I've found that too many things fall through the cracks when you're trying to use a Windows app in Crossover. Lots of compromises. Better to wait for a real virtualization experience that supports the full range of needs of Windows users who decided to buy an M1-chip model Mac, I think.
In my experience, when WINE works, it tends to work well. When it doesn’t work, it tends to be really bad. Fortunately the program I need runs well.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Ah yes, it can run a 13 year old game with frequent frame drops. The M1 really is Jesus in chip form.
Hey! Now wait a minute. That game was built to be given away for free as an ad for a digital game platform and it had to run on anything circuit city sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: atomicparker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.