Apple MacBook "Core Duo" 2.0 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mrs Iffacus, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Mrs Iffacus macrumors newbie

I've been given an old Apple MacBook "Core Duo" 2.0 13" as replacement for my windows laptop.

I've got an iPhone but never owned a mac laptop before, how good is this model, I'm aware it's a 2006 model.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They're adequate for a 8 year old laptop. Don't expect much from it though. It cannot run 64-bit applications, is limited to 2GB of memory, has the poor performing Intell GMA950 GPU, and can only run up to Mac OS X 10.6. By most standards, it's outdated. Despite its age and shortcomings, it will run well as long as it isn't asked to do beyond its abilities.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

According to everymac it supports up to 3GB (2+2, recognizing only 3GB).

Maybe it supports even the full 4GB or even 6GB with some EFI hack. I cannot assure this, but I wouldn't be surprised if such solution exists. I think you'd be fine with Snow Leopard + 2x2GB modules and a small, 120GB SATAIII SSD (which will run at SATAI speed). Snow Leopard's Safari is not the best browser these days, but Firefox runs fine.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Nope, only the Core 2 Duo will support 3.3 gb RAM. Core Duo does not.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

You're right, I read "Core 2 Duo" where it was written Core Duo. In this case, a SSD can still be installed and it will perform closer to a 2010 base Macbook Air. Not so bad for Snow Leopard.

-----------
    EDIT: If I remember well, there are posts in MR where some users upgraded a Core Duo to Core 2 Duo CPUs. I think there is room for some hacking on this Macbook...

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Yes, and I just did that last week with a Mini. I've updated the firmware to 2,1 but I'm still awaiting my 2x2gb RAM sticks. I think the MacBook cpu might be soldered and thus cannot easily be replaced.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Macbook1,1 firmware is not upgradable. Even though I once thought it was. While the CPU is fully compatible with every CPU the 2006-2007 Mac Mini and 2006 iMac line, it it soldered to the logicboard and only a rare few have upgraded it.

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Core Duo isn't necessarily fast by any means and is only 32 bit, you're limited to 2gb of RAM which may or may not be a problem depending on your usage and OSX 10.6 is as high as you'll go.

If this is going to be your main laptop I would install the best SSD you can afford. Dual boot Windows 7 and OSX and applications shouldn't be a problem and performance would probably be better under Windows.

The 2gb of RAM shouldn't be a huge issue so long as you keep your needs relatively basic. No heavy multitasking, and keep it to light web browsing. Flash heavy sites might cause it to hiccup. Tasks like iWork and MS Office shouldn't be a problem.

9. Mrs Iffacus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to run it as well as my other laptop to see how it goes. I'm hopefully going to buy an iPad Mini as my main use and use a laptop for back up / things I can't do on an iPad

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That laptop will run for your basic needs for school or work. Like Intell stated, don't ask too much of it in this day and age.

However, complementing it with an iPad will surely help you overall.

11. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

For the price of an iPad they could get a 2009/10 unibody macbook