Apple MacBook Pro 15 (high end) vs HP EliteBook 8560w

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hawk1410, Jul 10, 2011.

1. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Ok i am currently torn between these 2 machines, and have no idea what to get. The HP Elitebook I am looking at costs 2000$ and the MBP also costs the same with education pricing. The Elitebook has a much better display and better build quality. But on the other hand the MBP is much less bulkier and has the ThunderBolt Port. I have no idea what I should go for.
    The biggest factor that drives me away from the MBP is OSX, i dont know if i will like it or not. I have been a Windows user for my whole life and buying a Mac only to run windows on it for the majority of the time just seems foolish. And i am a CS major and like to dual boot Linux with Windows, pretty sure i cant triple boot Linux+OSX+Windows, though i could use VMs. Mac just seems to much of a hassle for no reason for me, am i wrong?? Should i just go ahead with the Mac.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can triple boot via rEFIt, I did in 2007 and it worked.

And this is the first time, I heard the HP had better build quality than the MBP. Good one.

Anyway, if you want OS X, you need a Mac, unless you go the Hackintosh route.

3. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude MBPs may be better looking but HPs EliteBook business line-up is nothing like their standard consumer line up crap, it is pretty much the best quality laptop you can buy.
    I don't think i want Mac OS, that is the main reason i am considering the Elitebook over the MacBook Pro. Honestly i just think i will be uncomfortable with a completely new OS. And on top of that as a CS major at college everyone i know has a PC, i think it is weird for a CS major to run anything but Windows or Linux. But if i can somehow triple boot it does somewhat solve the problem. I'll look into rEFIt

4. simsaladimbamba

Then do so. You haven't stated your needs, and you seem to be favouring specs over usability, thus the HP will fare you better.

I was once like that, but I then sold my better specced Samsung laptop (X30 or X40 with 1.4GHz) and bought a G4 iBook with 1GHz and rarely even touched my desktop PC with better GPU and CPU and more RAM.
    The "slower" Mac let me finish my work faster due to its interface and ease of use, and I even had some CPU demanding tasks like video editing and other video post production stuff to do.

I just got tired of Windows (3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP) and wanted something better, but Windows 7 (if one gets around the UI) is quite good now (so I have heard, I tried it several time, but the GUI is not for me).

Remember, it is just a tool, and if a Windows based computer can help you achieve what you want to achieve without too much hassle, go for the Elitebook.

5. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually in this case both the HP and Apple have the same specs. And my usage is gonna be standard stuff like web browsing ,taking notes... + gaming when i get time. I dont need a high end GPU and have done extensive research and think the 6750m in the MBP will be fine for what i want. The Elitebook does seem like the better choice when thinking of it from the OS perspective(though i am not even sure, i have never used Mac, the only reason i made this post on a Mac forum was to get feedback from Pc to Mac switchers) but from every other perspective the MBP wins clearly - battery life, portability, ThunderBolt I/O, looks .... The Elitebook is better just in terms of the display. Yes the build quality may be better but i will just consider them equal on that ground as my usage is not gonna be that rugged.

6. makinao macrumors regular

A CS (I'm assuming Computer Science) major "uncomfortable" with learning a new OS? A college where "it is weird for a CS major to run anything but Windows or Linux"? Hmmmmmm...

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I can see where the OP is coming from, maybe he doesn't want to learn because of the time issue? He sounds like he is doing some advanced stuff and learning a new OS during his studies is probably not a good idea and should be reserved for when he has a lot of free time.

The EliteBook is definitely a better built computer since it has a spill-proof keyboard and military grade standards (vibration, humidity, etc.).

However, OP, I think the MBP is a better buy for you down the line. It has great resale value and the service from Apple is amazing. I'm pretty sure if you buy one, they can help you with whatever needs you have.

8. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess MBp would be sort of a better buy cause of the better portability. Anyway those of you Mac users who recently switched from Win 7 how easy was the transition, anything i should know??

9. buckyballs, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

buckyballs macrumors regular

Trust me, the MBP has better build quality

You're gonna find OS X to be very useful as a CS major (I refuse to use anything else for my CS work). If you want to triple-boot, install Windows via Boot Camp, then install Wubi on windows to install linux. Voila, triple boot!

10. buckyballs macrumors regular

Also, I'm gonna agree here. First thing 90% of the academic staff do when given their money for a new computer is buy a MacBook Pro + 27" monitor...

11. scboxa macrumors member

its nothing you should worry about. i was a windows user all my life and just recently made the switch. best switch i ever made. the osx is truley unique and is very user friendly and VERY easy to learn. ontop of that the resale values of these MBP are very high.

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I had been using windows forever, the first I really remember was windows 3.1(I think I was 5? But regardless), for the recent past I always got my dads thinkpad when he got a new one, which was every 8-12 months. So they weren't outdated or anything; I do have to say the build quality was nice. But windows was, idk not horrible but looking back at it just not great. In college I bought a HP dv2000(long story but I needed a laptop that second and just got something cheap).

I just realized this doesn't really have anything to do with your question. Anyway, OS X just seems to be, for lack of a better word, better than Win7. Yes, there's a lot about 7 that is great, but there's apps that get all the good features(window snapping, dock preview, and the like). Yes, I know it's not ideal having to do that and it should come baked in, but even stock to stock I would still go with OS X(10.6, I really think 10.7 is a step backward).

13. windowstomac macrumors regular

I made the switch about 3 weeks ago, so far I am very happy. I just LOVE using this beautiful thing. And I run Win7 in a VM via parallels, and you can do the same with Linux. Check out my blog - very relevant to your situation!

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

I switched 3+ years ago, Had been using windows based computers for 14 years.

Never looked back.

15. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I have an EliteBook 8530w high end for work, and it's a nice piece.

However, I'm using my MBP 15" fully for work now, and I really don't use my HP laptop anymore. OS X is such a pleasure to use :D

16. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I switched about 3 months ago and haven't looked back (except to boot into Windows to play a game or two ;)

I've only used Windows since my first computer 15 years ago, and know every iteration of the OS since '95 inside and out (although I'm rusty on '95 -'00 by now). I've done computer troubleshooting/repairing for years, and am so comfortable on Windows that I easily give phone support without a computer in front of me, quoting verbatim what text boxes and windows the user should be looking at. In short, I NEVER thought I'd want to switch to a Mac (plus, there's that "Mac culture" that I despised so much). It just seemed so "dumbed down" (after actually using it for some time now, it's definitely not!)

So, fast forward to 3 months ago when a friend gave me his '09 13" MBP. I really couldn't believe how simple the transition was, and I actually liked OSX much better (but I hated the low resolution on the 13", so had to go 15"). If you have any doubts about your ability to switch - take it from me, you won't have a SINGLE problem.

17. sporadicMotion, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Find a way to try OS X for a week. If you don't like it, then don't bother with a MBP... however, you'd be surprised how good OS X really is.

Look into the 2011 MBP's issues with Linux and Windows. You'll be limited (at this point) as to what Kernel you can use with SandyBridge in Linux... some of this could already be resolved. As far as Windows goes, do some research into the current BootCamp driver quality (I'm really not up to date on this piece).

Naturally you can circumvent these potential issues in a VM.

Cheers

18. blackbinary macrumors member

I am a CS major too, and just switched to Mac a month ago.
    It's pretty much a painless switch, and osx is a lot more friendly from a development perspective than Windows, because it's Unix based and keeps developers in mind.

You can triple boot if you want, or VM it. I'd probably go OSX with bootcamp for games, and a VM with your linux distro of choice/requirement.

19. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I'm a newly converted Mac user, and have owned only PCs my entire life. Needless to say I'm never going back to a PC, although I do have to run Win7 in bootcamp for school.

My friend is a Dual CS/Math major at Harvey Mudd and he's been using a Mac for the last 4 years of his life, and he can program just fine. In fact he prefers Macs, but to each his own.

It sounds like you already made your decision though. If you don't want to be that one CS Major with a Mac, and want to stick with what your familiar with, I think you've answered your own question.

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

As someone pointed out, it really depends on what you want to do with the laptop. If you are using a number of Windows-only applications than the HP is a better bet; similarly if you prefer to stick with Win7.
    Do you want to learn a whole new set of commands? A different way of doing menu items on the same manufacturer's programs (I'm looking at you MS office)? A different paradigm for the mouse UI? If that is OK then the mBP is a nice machine.

21. beangibbs macrumors member

If Mac OS...which was made so even a child or moron could use it...is too difficult for what I assume is a computer science major...then we are all doomed. It doesn't take any time to learn it. I used Windows for years, and found it very easy to use Mac OS. I was going in minutes. But hey, if he doesn't like it, that's his choice...I just doubt it's because it would take so long to learn.

22. hawk1410, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not concerned about having to learn Mac OSX i am concerned that i might loose functionality with it. For eg a friend told me that in OSX Lion you dont even know what applications are open while multitasking, ie it is like the way in the iPhone, and the OS has control of all the resource management, now i dont like that at all. It is stuff like this i am concerned about.
    For eg consider my iPhone, i lost some functionality with it over an Android phone(for eg no flash, lack of a file manager, no bluetooth file transfer, lack of adding media by simply drag and drop to the folder, ie need to use itunes,) but i did not care as i got a much better and fluid UI with great apps, as the iPhone was not my primary device i did not care of what little i lost. But my laptop is my my primary device and i dont want to loose anything at all, so basically all i want to know if there are any drawbacks to mac over windows. Also i would like to know if that thing my friend told me about OSX Lion multitasking is true??(i doubt him cause he hates apple and may have been exaggerating to prevent me from buying the MBP)

23. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I haven't used Lion but I'm sure there is a way to see what programs are open - not having that option would be ridiculous. In Snow Leopard, you can always see what's open by seeing which icons have a blue dot underneath them on the dock. Or, you can open Activity Monitor (Task Manager equivalent).

24. Maziar macrumors 6502

Wrong
    It isn't like the iPhone and your apps will be opened in the background. You can enable/disable the "light indicator" under apps in the dock.

25. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

A few random thoughts

I'm not sure where you got the information that the HP has a better display or "better build quality". One thing to look at is relability reviews by sources such as Consumer Reports, PC World, PC Mag, etc. You'll find that Apple is almost always at the top of the list, whereas HP doesn't fair so well.

Take a look at the reported battery life. HP says "up to 5 hours", whereas Apple shows "up to 8 hours". In the real world (i.e. running real applications such as Photoshop, etc.), you can trim 40% on that battery life. I can average 5 hours on my MBP doing work in Aperture 3, Photoshop, iWork, etc. You might get 3 hours on the HP.

As to tripple booting between OS X, Win7 and Linux - yes, the MBP can easily handle that. An easy search will provide you the needed documentation on how to set this up.

If you're a CS major, then the prof's and staff at your school should be able to provide you with some guidance as to what type of system setup is best.

Personally, I used to be a die-hard WinDoze fan. No more. I use WinXP at work because I have to. At home, I use a MBP because I've found it to be a better platform for photo editing, and everything else. I've found comperable Mac applications for everything I used in Windows.