Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new security update for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, which comes nearly one month after the first version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 was released to the public.

macoshighsierra10134.jpg

The new macOS High Sierra security update can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store on all compatible Macs that are already running macOS High Sierra.

According to Apple's release notes, Security Update 2018-001 is recommended for all users and is meant to improve the security of macOS. The update addresses two security vulnerabilities related to Crash Reporter and LinkPresentation, both of which could be used maliciously to gain access to a Mac. A Safari 11.1 update is also included, with fixes for WebKit vulnerabilities.

Additional information on what's included in the security update can be found in the accompanying support document.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Security Update

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It's good that Apple didn't decide to wait until 10.13.5 to fix these vulnerabilities. My only concern is that El Capitan and Sierra have yet to receive the update.
[doublepost=1524591551][/doublepost]
Oh no just with every update for about a year now, my Mac will not boot up afterwards unless I restore it from a backup ...
This definitely isn't normal. I'd recommend doing a fresh install of the latest version and restoring only the apps / files you need from backup.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
It's good that Apple didn't decide to wait until 10.13.5 to fix these vulnerabilities. My only concern is that El Capitan and Sierra have yet to receive the update.
[doublepost=1524591551][/doublepost]
This definitely isn't normal. I'd recommend doing a fresh install of the latest version and restoring only the apps / files you need from backup.

It’s weird. Everytime i get an update, my late 2012 MacBook Pro Retina gets stuck on like 80% of the loading bar after a reboot and doesn’t move. A friend of mine ironically had the same issue on her 2009 MacBook Pro

Reactions: TVreporter

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
It’s weird. Everytime i get an update, my late 2012 MacBook Pro Retina gets stuck on like 80% of the loading bar after a reboot and doesn’t move. A friend of mine ironically had the same issue on her 2009 MacBook Pro

For anybody where the update hangs at the progress bar, try unplugging all external devices (including your iPhone if it's docked). That fixed the issue with the updates hanging and I've had that problem with every update since HS was released.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
Gone back to Yosemite after running out of patience with High Sierra. Now no more signing out of websites, no more daft message telling me I can't use full screen when I am in full screen, A calendar I can set new events on again, Reaper works just as well, everything runs just as well if not snappier. Now trying to return to Snow Leopard where I can ditch all the silly Mac apps like Chess, Dashboard, Game Centre, iTunes, iWebb, Launchpad, Mission Control, Photo Booth, Photos, Reminders etc. etc and run a lean machine again. And not feel walled in by Appledom. Enough.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Previous Safari built was Version 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.3)?
I never got it :mad:
I had been working with 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.2) all this time!! UNDER macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199)
I wonder what went wrong :confused::mad::confused::mad:
I will double check IF this time I get Version 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.4)

Last edited:

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
Surely they also fixed a few bugs that they know are there, so they were embarrassed to mention. Or they didn't fix it and the software lately is just that bad.

If they keep using that amount, I'll end up reaching the capacity on my drive before I need to buy a new computer.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I’m still not running HS. After I put it on one 2015 MacBook Pro and two 2016 MacBooks, I had horrible internet connection issues on all three MacBooks. Took all three of them into my local Apple store for a genius visit. Genius recommended going back to Sierra. They did the reinstall of Sierra and my WiFi connection issues went away on all three machines. Three different attempts at High Sierra was enough for me. Now granted that was several months ago. The issues I had may very well be resolved.

Reactions: martyjmclean

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Maybe when the security update is released for El Capitan they will restore the kernel back to support older Xeon chips that don't have SSE4.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
High Sierra is a disaster on both my iMac (2012) and Macbook Pro (2014) with very sluggish performance, lots of beach balling and apps crashing. This update took a very long time to update, but I do notice a big difference on my MacBook Pro. Much more responsive. Maybe I'm speaking too soon and the problems will soon return. But clicking the red x in a window immediately closes the window, something I haven't seen in a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.