Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fifth beta and more than two months after introducing the new software at the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

The sixth beta of macOS High Sierra can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air using the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Today's update brings a fix for a bug that caused apps to quit unexpectedly when printing to Canon printers, and it addresses an issue that caused QuickLook to preview things to force a MacBook Pro to switch to a discrete GPU (pertains to models that have both discrete and integrated GPUs).

macOS High Sierra builds on features first introduced in macOS Sierra, focusing on new storage, video, and graphics technology. It brings a new Apple File System (APFS), High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC), and an updated version of Metal with support for VR and external GPUs.

Several apps are gaining new features in macOS High Sierra. The Photos app features a new sidebar to make it easier to access editing tools and albums, and there are new filters and editing options like Curves and Selective Color. Photos also supports external editing apps like Photoshop and Pixelmator, saving changes made in those apps back to Photos, and it interfaces with new third-party printing services.

Safari is gaining speed enhancements, an option to prevent autoplay videos, and a new feature that cuts down on cross-site data tracking. Siri in macOS High Sierra has expanded music capabilities and a new, more natural voice, and Spotlight supports flight status information. There are also improvements to iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, and Notes.

macOS High Sierra is available for both registered developers and public beta testers and will see a few more weeks of testing ahead of its expected fall public release.

For a complete overview of changes coming in macOS High Sierra, make sure to check out our dedicated macOS High Sierra roundup.

Update: Apple has also made a new version of macOS High Sierra available to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of macOS High Sierra to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Not quite sure why the Public Beta (which is identical and even is listed as the Developer Beta in the App Store) won't be released until tomorrow afternoon.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Exciting! Just got a new MacBook Pro and can't wait to test out the new features once the final version is complete.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Not quite sure why the Public Beta (which is identical and even is listed as the Developer Beta in the App Store) won't be released until tomorrow afternoon.
Apple likes to collect installation data first before opening up to public beta. Developers tend to be a lot more resourceful if something goes wrong during installation AND they often have multiple devices.

Many that install public beta are equally knowledgeable but more likely install it on their primary device.

Apple doesn't want to support it.

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
worth it just for the autostopping videos functionality. Autoplay vids drive me NUTS! Yes, I know you can use browser extensions - I have them, but you shouldn't have to and I don't trust extensions.

Reactions: wol and mdriftmeyer

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Reactions: MacFan497

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Given we got an EFI update for the Mac Pro last week in the beta does any one know if there is a newer version of the EFI update for the Mac Pro (2010/2012) included in this update? EFI:
MP51.0083.B00 was included in Beta 5.

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017
I concur. A biggie. Like the whole OS is being changed out.
[doublepost=1502731822][/doublepost]
I don't have an developer account. Could you please post the PDF file. Thank you.

Can't access it
"This page no longer exists or the Apple ID you signed with does not have permission to view this page"
Perhaps you could download it and then upload it to MediaFire or something?

I know. I was trying to upload to some sites.

Here it is.

https://mega.nz/#!90RCwYbC!sjkHE-Cd3An66k0tryOm3XxVmy0kh90a1J_unRILA7g

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
App Store has a new icon

Siri icon looks different too, but I could be mistaken.

mpxio

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016
UK
I gave up on the beta last week. 2012 rMBP camera only worked 1st time it was opened on 1st boot of a new beta version and subsequently failed to work, even after powering the system down. I began to suspect h/w issues. Back on Sierra and it works fine. Apart from sleep issues, my other main problem was repeated system hangs which started with 3rd beta. Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out soon.

Reactions: Ener Ji

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Last Firmware had a bug in it, I got an error on both my 2012 MBP and Mac Mini, the hardware is more or less the same so that explains the problem on both.
The MBP is updating now, just had a firmware update, can't see the version yet.
Edit: Yup, new version

Trim is was working on both, used a hack to enable, no, trim force didn't work, will see if it sticks after this update.

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 20.35.46.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.