Apple Makes iMovie, GarageBand, and iWork Apps for Mac and iOS Free for All Users

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated several of its Mac and iOS apps, making them available for all Mac and iOS users for free.

iMovie, Numbers, Keynote, Pages, and GarageBand for both Mac and iOS devices have been updated and are now listed in the App Store for free.

[​IMG]

Previously, all of these apps were provided for free to customers who purchased a new Mac or iOS device, but now that purchase is not required to get the software. Many Apple customers were already likely eligible to download the software at no cost if they had made a device purchase in the last few years.

Apple's iWork page has not yet been updated and continues to say that customers will only be able to download Pages, Keynote, and Numbers after purchasing an eligible Mac or iOS device, but new wording may be added shortly following the price drop. Apple's apps have also been removed from the Top Free app charts in the App Store.

Apple has been offering these apps for free to new Mac and iOS device owners since 2013, but dropping the price to free for all users makes it less confusing and opens up downloads for those who have not recently made a new device purchase.

- Pages for macOS [Direct Link]
    - Keynote for macOS [Direct Link]
    - Numbers for macOS [Direct Link]
    - GarageBand for macOS - [Direct Link]
    - iMovie for macOS - [Direct Link]

- Pages for iOS - [Direct Link]
    - Keynote for iOS - [Direct Link]
    - Numbers for iOS - [Direct Link]
    - GarageBand for iOS - [Direct Link]
    - iMovie for iOS - [Direct Link]

Update: According to a support document, today's app changes will make it easier for business and educational institutions to download Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie through the Volume Purchase Program store.

Article Link: Apple Makes iMovie, GarageBand, and iWork Apps for Mac and iOS Free for All Users

2. Sirious, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

They made them free to any new owner since 2013... surely everyone has met that criteria by now right? Who will this appeal to?

Genuinely curious, not bashing!

(Edit:Thanks for all the answers and I got another answer from the update in the post).

3. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

4. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

What's the new version numbers on the Mac apps?

5. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Well anyone with an older Mac, or anyone who bought an used one.

6. scottish macrumors 6502a

Good. Should have just been free to everyone since 2013.

7. Appleaker macrumors 68000

This is great, and especially made sense for the Mac. It seems like Apple are being more and more lenient with application pricing now. I am still surprised by the pro apps bundle.

8. Frign macrumors member

A very strong move against Microsoft Office. I must admit, back when I was still using macOS these programs were a very productive and efficient addition to my workflow.

9. 31 Flavas macrumors 6502

I'd guess -- anyone that purchases an iOS device or Mac second hand. (who would have to pay $9.99 per app otherwise.)

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

This is great news! Should stop any confusion down the line – you download it for free, or don't download it at all. So much more simple.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Good. I just realized a couple months ago that I had the old Mac version of garage band when I was using the guitar lessons to self teach guitar. I debated if it would be worth it to buy the new one, because there were some bug/compatibility issues I was running into. I didn't. Now I'll check it out. I've gotten away from practicing so many this will give me just enough motivation to get back into it!

12. jhwalker macrumors regular

Me - all of my Macs are at least five years old (2011 Mac Mini and MacBook Pro, 2012 MacBook).

All still going strong, though I'd love to see an update to the Mini this year - the laptops are still kicking butt, but the Mini is a getting a little rickety!

13. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Remember iPhoto on iOS? That was a weird piece of software.

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well I got my MacBook air in fall of 2013, and I wasn't able to get GarageBand a couple months ago without paying. There may have been a window that I missed to get it.

15. Omar_19x macrumors newbie

Omar_19x

but but but Apple is a greedy company? I thought TC only had money on his mind...

16. Creepitor macrumors member

In case of having a hackintosh it's really nice, no further frustrations about expiring versions, no need to waste time on finding the right torrent, there are lots of cases where this is a relief.

17. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

But Numbers can't do pivot tables on an iPad Pro.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Anyone who buys Macs second-hand to save money. They were only free to the first user to sign-in to the app store on a new Mac. If you bought a Mac used, you were never eligible.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not really MS Office is a more robust suite of applications.

As for the move, I think its a good move and I think was curious that they were charging for this when they were giving it away for new owners.

20. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

I am glad this is free now. I remember back in 2008 when I got a MacBook that had the 30 day trial of iWork, I used to modify a plist file to remove the 30 day crippling and got iWork for free. They have always been less restrictive with their software than say Microsoft.

21. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

We’re never going to be free of the trolls so why even bother. Sarcasm only encourages them.

22. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Last year I sold a MacBook to a friend. They had to buy iWork because of the policy despite it being a 2015 machine. So I'm sure lots of purchasers of used devices will welcome the change.

23. hawkeye_a, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

hawkeye_a macrumors 6502

hawkeye_a

I hope they continue development of the iWork apps, and are not putting them 'out to pasture'. (Although I fear they might be)

24. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Eh....

I recently got a Pages document and I couldn't open it with MS Word. There needs to be better compatibility between the two apps.

25. Mac User Canada macrumors newbie

I am still using an early 2011, 17" MBP. It always bothered me that these were free for new users but I had to pay for them. So I didn't. :)

I'll play with them a little and see if I like them.