Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asarien

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2015
They made them free to any new owner since 2013... surely everyone has met that criteria by now right? Who will this appeal to?

Genuinely curious, not bashing!

This appeals heavily to IT, who restore, repurpose and reissue machines daily. Especially if a machine is initially imaged, that free license would just disappear.

Reactions: dysamoria

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
The problem is Microsoft not willing to add Pages documents support to Office, obviously because they are the dominant platform.

Apple did what they had to do : support for opening and exporting to .doc and .docx.

And finally added RTF back after 4 years...

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Short answer: no.

Long answer: Maybe if you made a bit of a fuss to Apple, they might give you a gift card or something. But honestly, no point being that guy. Spending an hour arguing the toss over something so trivial isn't something a lot of people should feel comfortable doing. Besides, if you got $15 use out of it already, then you might as well call it even.

I wouldn't spend time asking for my money back. it's not much money.
I'll wait to see what happens.
I just know that recently Apple acquired a company and refunded all the users who purchased the app they have now made free.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Technically you need to have a newer Mac or newer iOS device running the latest software to use these apps anyway, so charging for it was just an unnecessary inconvenience.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Why do people cheer free software? It just makes it harder for 3rd party developers to develop pro software because no one wants to pay for it.

If you care to debate that point you have to acknowledge that "free" doesn't really exist, only included. In this case Apple has rectified a strange situation where the software was included for some but not others.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
They made them free to any new owner since 2013... surely everyone has met that criteria by now right? Who will this appeal to?

Genuinely curious, not bashing!

Just last Friday coincidentally I spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to figure out why when I uninstalled Garage Band and tried to reinstall it, it was asking me for $15....It took a bit for them to confirm it was in my family purchases etc.

This will simplify that issue for whatever it's worth.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Why do people cheer free software? It just makes it harder for 3rd party developers to develop pro software because no one wants to pay for it.
After decades of certain tools being needed on all systems, these things get included in the base system because customers don't want to have to buy more and more basic tools (or download them free). I don't blame these customers either.

It happens and the market moves on. The people who need more professional features will still buy the software that provides it. It's simply a smaller market.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
now we can all make our high school kids paper in Pages and follow up our yard sales in Numbers...

make it professional and then we'll talk.

- adding 'stock history' is not frequently requested
- pivot tables are frequently used
- data connections are frequently used
- what if analysis is needed
- better performance management in Numbers. I sometimes had to wait 8 minutes and more on a rmbp 15" late 2013
- more filter options

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
A very strong move against Microsoft Office. I must admit, back when I was still using macOS these programs were a very productive and efficient addition to my workflow.

I don't think Apple can move against Office. Office runs on Windows which is by far the dominant platform. Pages etc. only runs on Mac and iOS. It really is just a nice gift for Apple users with older devices. Personally I get by fine with Numbers and Pages. Both do what I need and can be converted to Office formats in case I need to share with others. I actually like Pages and Numbers more than the Office counterparts but both are missing some important features Office has. I just don't need those features. But if you do, for instance mail merge, then you need Office or some other product.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
“Available to all users…” provided you’ve got hardware capable of running the latest OS.

NOAPPS4U.png

*sad trombone*

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
These software tools are one of the main reasons I stuck with macOS when I made the switch from Windows. When I wanted to do some basic document layout, Pages stunned me with how reliable it was versus Word. When I needed to create (objectively way too many) elegant presentations for school, Keynote made me look good. And when I wanted to get into audio production or video editing, I had excellent beginner tools that still packed decent power already installed on my machine.

Which leaves Numbers, I guess. It's fine for the limited data management I do on occasion, but there are lots of free alternatives that work as well or better. I could take it or leave it.

Reactions: tubular

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Got it, but why is Pages 430Mb when Word is only 56Mb??

Is it? I don't have Word on my Mac but MSFT often has you download installers that then download all that is necessary for the application. They do this for a lot of Windows software. So what you initially download isn't all the binaries needed to run the application.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Hmmm I thought they were free for years now. Learning something new everyday

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Finally.
What the **** took them so long.
It was so hard to explain to educational and business customers that the apps were free to the owners of the iPads, but you could not distribute them for free on eligible iPads.

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
YESSS. This makes me and consequently my users very, very happy.
This. It was a giant pain to have to go to the business office to get the invoices, scan them in, email them out to VPP support and wait for them to allot the codes. Now I can make sure all of the devices we have on hand can get these apps right out of the gate without hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.