Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has made the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, which previously was only available with the purchase of the new 24-inch iMac, available for purchase individually for $149.

magic-keyboard-touch-id.png

Apple also retails the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and a numeric keypad for $179. A standard Magic Keyboard without Touch ID or a numeric keypad is available for $99, and a new Magic Trackpad for $129.

One major point to be aware of is that Apple says that the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID is only supported on Apple silicon Macs running macOS 11.4 or later. With Touch ID built into the keyboard, users of the M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini can now conveniently use Touch ID with an external keyboard.

The Magic Keyboard with Touch ID in both its numeric and non-numeric keypad forms begins shipping today alongside the new trackpad and can be purchased on Apple's website. All of the accessories are available in silver only, with other color options being exclusive to the 24-inch iMac.

Article Link: Apple Makes Magic Keyboard With Touch ID Available for Separate Purchase

Last edited:

srminton

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
My rechargeable Apple bluetooth keyboard's letters are wearing off after less than a year of use. If Apple can't get the basics right, I don't have faith a keyboard at 2x the regular price is worth it.
this has always bugged me about Apple keyboards, every one I've owned has had this problem with the letters wearing off relatively quickly; which you kind of expect for a cheap keyboard, but this is not cheap....

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Sorry but hard pass. Already have the magic keyboard with numeric keypad, $50 more for a touch id that's in an odd placement (at least on the keyboard with numeric keypad) when I can already unlock my mac with my watch?

I love Apple but no thanks.

Edit: only for M1 Macs too? Yikes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.