Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps is catching up with Google Maps on iOS 17 by finally letting iPhone users download maps for offline use. iOS 17 will be released to the public later this year for the iPhone XS and newer, and is currently available in beta for developers.

Apple-Maps-Offline.jpeg

Users can download a specific area of Apple Maps to their iPhone and view it while offline, complete with turn-by-turn directions for driving, walking, cycling, and public transit. While offline, users can also see their estimated time of arrival, view information like hours and ratings on place cards, and more.

You can also use downloaded Apple Maps on the Apple Watch when a paired iPhone is turned on and in range of the Apple Watch.

The ability to use Apple Maps without a cellular or Wi-Fi connection is a major improvement to the app. Another useful new feature in Apple Maps on iOS 17 is the ability to view real-time electric vehicle charging station availability.

Article Link: Apple Maps Finally Lets You Download Maps for Offline Use on iOS 17

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Wonderful to have it.
I was trying to remember, I think the first time I used some map application with this feature was in 2011. Twelve years later, we cannot say Apply was early here...

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This feature is pretty neat, and I assume it is available for all iPhones supported by iOS17

Here's an idea for an article, MacRumors: list every new feature with the devices it is compatible, because some iOS 17 features are only available on devices with an A14 and newer.

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
This feature is pretty neat, and I assume it is available for all iPhones supported by iOS17

Here's an idea for an article, MacRumors: list every new feature with the devices it is compatible, because some iOS 17 features are only available on devices with an A14 and newer.
I’m using it right now on the iPhone XS, so I can confirm it works on all iPhones supported by iOS 17!

It definitely is buggy though- can’t adjust the size/range of the maps, and it just force quit on me. Glad to have the feature as someone with a very small data plan.

Reactions: Populus

jgulla

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
Boston, MA
This was THE main thing stopping me from switching to Apple Maps from Google Maps. Now I'll have to retrain myself to get used to their presentation vs. Google Maps 🤣

Reactions: BlackBun and Brad7

JoshhDaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
UK
I’m using it right now on the iPhone XS, so I can confirm it works on all iPhones supported by iOS 17!

It definitely is buggy though- can’t adjust the size/range of the maps, and it just force quit on me. Glad to have the feature as someone with a very small data plan.
So size adjustment worked for me using pinch and zoom but it wouldn’t cover the whole of the UK. So I’m missing Scotland however have a tiny bit of France included 😂

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
How do you download a map? I am on the dev beta and don't see an option to do it.

Nevermind, found it. Click on your Apple Icon at the top then download maps.

I see it only offers towns. Wish I could do an entire state as I never know where I am going to be without a cell signal, which unfortunately happens more than I want. :)

Reactions: jole

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020

YES! This would be really useful! I'd want to know specifically what my iPhone 12 Pro will not be able to do with the new iOS 17.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West

And why is not this feature available on older devices? Google was able to do it on processors much slower than A14.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Garmin Glo 2 GPS, Apple offline maps and iPad mini 6 FOR THE WN! :):)
(Assuming it's coming to the iPad as well.)

Last edited:

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
How do you download a map? I am on the dev beta and don't see an option to do it.

Nevermind, found it. Click on your Apple Icon at the top then download maps.

I see it only offers towns. Wish I could do an entire state as I never know where I am going to be without a cell signal, which unfortunately happens more than I want. :)
if you select the option for your current area, it give you the map with rectangle you can zoom and pan, and select any size/area you want, if your phone has the available storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.