Apple Maps icon

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by chrismarle, Jul 18, 2012.

1. chrismarle, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

chrismarle macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm not quite sure if someone already thought and mentioned that but there is a mistake on the Maps icon.

By looking carefully, you'll notice that the icon is giving directions to jump off a bridge.

Hopefully, they'll fix it to make it more realistic... It's not very ''Apple'' to do these kind of mistakes.

Attached Files:

2. markrox7 macrumors 6502

I agree it's off and not exactly accurate, but I think they did it because the icon is essentially the same as the old one, the iOS 6 Maps.app icon just shows one of the major new features, which is turn by turn, and that's what's highlighted in the icon. Also, the icon's art is a little different to show how maps in iOS 6 will look different from maps in iOS 5.
    Just my thoughts.

3. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right. But I think they could've took a different view, zoom out or what ever to do what they did with showing turn-by-turn but giving realistic directions (unlike giving directions to jump off a bridge).

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This is the best post ever. Now I'm going to think about someone jumping off a bridge every time I see the icon on my home screen. :rolleyes:

5. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

*Meeting room at Apple HQ*

Tim Cook stands up. "Gjac0m knows too much. He must die!"

7. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not saying that people will believe that. I have enough hope in the human race to think that no one will say: ''Oh look, Apple's Maps icon says I can turn left on the middle of the bridge, let's do it!''

I am just saying that it's not aesthetically good looking and that I hope that it get fixed.

----------

At least, I hope they would be kind enough to show me the next iPhone before killing me.

8. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

10. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

11. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Steve would never have allowed this.

They're either going to have to fix the icon, or redesign the freeway interchange.

12. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

haha thats hilarious, I luv it :D
    and shut up with that steve wouldn't do that, thats so annoying to read all time :apple:

13. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Also interesting to note on the old icon (Google maps??) you can tell there is an interchange.

On the new icon (Apple maps??) it appears there is not an interchange.

There are a few other differences between the two... and judging from the satellite image posted with it, I think the Google map version is more accurate.

14. Brazuca macrumors regular

The icon is fine. You don't navigate turn-by-turn by looking at the overhead. You follow the directions. And if you are driving on that road, it should tell you to "turn left onto he highway". Guess what you'll see on the road? A big sign pointing you to get on the highway by turning left.

Plus, this is really boring.

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Apple will not be wrong. Expect work on the freeway to start in the next few months.

:D

16. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone thinks it is some failure of an icon. It is just an icon.

As for how people navigate... a lot of us mute the voice and actually DO use the overhead directions. Garmin (and others) have looked like this for years:

[​IMG]

Kinda looks like an overhead chase camera behind the car, huh?

----------

Interstate 280 is still in beta anyways. People aren't allowed to judge the interchange yet.

17. BerGaur macrumors regular

BerGaur

Are you kidding me? I think you guys are making way to big a deal about this. It is just an icon. They mostlikely wanted to make it REALLY basic looking, give it a NEW flare, yet keep generally the same icon they had before. I don't know if it is the simplisity, or the lines, or what. But being someone who has more of an artistic view of things my first time looking at them, rather than a critical view, I liked the way it looked my first time looking at it.

They verry well could have used it to infasize the fact that all their new iOS devices now have retna display. ...it could be a view of the same intersection on a map that is zoomed way out, and they are zoomed way in on it. Thus looking more simple, basic, and even tecnically inacurate. How accurate does it need to be, or even have the ability to be, when you are zoomed way out and are looking at your long destination in a BASIC zoomed out form.

Just a couple other angles to look at it with. We really don't know what it will be like quite yet, because it hasn't come out yet. Not to mention...I am going to perposly think of that icon as directions off a bridge because I find it humorous, and I love to laugh.

18. Brazuca macrumors regular

The POV view is not the overhead map. But, really, who cares? It's an icon. Apple invented icons and highways and directions and colors and....

19. tekno macrumors 6502a

Brownie points for observation! Very funny.

20. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

That's a cute observation. As long as nobody is taking directions off of the map itself, everyone should be all right.

21. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

:eek: I didn't notice it. Thanks for bring that up :)

22. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yeah, but that would make a terrible icon :p

24. alex00100 macrumors regular

by the way, people, what does "280" on the icon means? i searched about it and can't find out what it is. :confused:

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

An icon is supposed to cut things down to their simplest elements so that it's easy to understand.

Have you ever been driving down the freeway and seen this sign...

[​IMG]

...and said "Oh no! Don't stop here! I need a spoon when I eat!"

Perhaps you have, but trust me, you're probably the only one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_280_(California)

The icon is a map of Apple's headquarters. 280 goes right by it.