Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So, driving along, sunny day, trying to find a place I have never been to before (isn't that why we use Maps?) and it shows, on the map screen, that I am several miles away from the next left turn. Until I see the Map display smoke 5 miles in about 2 seconds as I shoot past the road I was supposed to turn onto. The pointer backtracked incredibly fast. Nice... I'm used to that with the wife playing navigator, but now it's Apple Maps? I had an early Garmin GPSMap 76, I believe, that would pull that on occasion. It wasn't funny then, and not funny now.

Another weird thing: I punched in 'Starbucks', and it showed it was 'across Main Street', so I cross Main Street, and 'Where exactly?' Then Maps shows it down the street on Main Street. Huh? So I go back to Main Street, and drive a couple of hundred yards down from where I crossed Main Street, and the ribbon goes cold, only no Starbucks. I see a Biggby Coffee, and drive past it for a few hundred yards, and THEN see the Starbucks. Apple Maps seems totally oblivious to it being there. I had stopped there about 10 years ago, and remembered it being there, but the place had changed so much since then, I figured it would be safe to use Maps to make sure I found the location in case it moved. Apple Maps was getting so bizarre... Yikes. And it's not like it's a map data issue I'm thinking. Just weird...

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Might be worth a look at this thread, folk having similar issues :-

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Might be worth a look at this thread, folk having similar issues :-

Similar but different. Hmm...

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I recently purchased an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I read in these forums how iOS15 had some bugs. In the last two days I tried Apple Maps in my car via CarPlay.

Yesterday night I asked Siri to navigate me to our local airport. It responded that it got my command. Then, all I got over and over again was a spinning wheel, even after I canceled the command, and tried two more times. I finally cancelled and just watched the dashboard display map. The dash's display did show my location accurately, and did show my car's progress down the interstate. So I know my cellular connection was working.

Today, I asked Siri, via CarPlay and Apple Maps to navigate my care to a downtown restaurant. It wanted me to go several miles West. My destination was in fact East of my home location. I assume it may have been sending me West to a journey South, to a second Interstate system that would send me East, and then downtown.

Maybe this was the fastest route, given I would have had to travel South on secondary roads to reach the West bound interstate. The time of day was 11:00 a.m.

I do know the area, and I was really just testing Apple Maps, CarPlay, and my new iPhone.

One idea I had was that I had turned off 5G on my phone. We don't have AT&T 5G in my entire state. But, I am wondering if I was experiencing a bug.

As I plan to travel out-of-state in the future, to areas I do not know, I am really wary of trusting Apple Maps.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I recently purchased an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I read in these forums how iOS15 had some bugs. In the last two days I tried Apple Maps in my car via CarPlay.

Yesterday night I asked Siri to navigate me to our local airport. It responded that it got my command. Then, all I got over and over again was a spinning wheel, even after I canceled the command, and tried two more times. I finally cancelled and just watched the dashboard display map. The dash's display did show my location accurately, and did show my car's progress down the interstate. So I know my cellular connection was working.

Today, I asked Siri, via CarPlay and Apple Maps to navigate my care to a downtown restaurant. It wanted me to go several miles West. My destination was in fact West of my home location. I assume it may have been sending me West to a journey South, to a second Interstate system that would send me East, and then downtown.

Maybe this was the fastest route, given I would have had to travel South on secondary roads to reach the West bound interstate. The time of day was 11:00 a.m.

I do know the area, and I was really just testing Apple Maps, CarPlay, and my new iPhone.

One idea I had was that I had turned off 5G on my phone. We don't have AT&T 5G in my entire state. But, I am wondering if I was experiencing a bug.

As I plan to travel out-of-state in the future, to areas I do not know, I am really wary of trusting Apple Maps.

As bad as it might be, it's never as bad as Hertz's 'Never Lost' system. I was in Connecticut, and punched in an address, and we were off. I knew, very generally, where I was going, but no more than 'West', really... Se we started off heading west. And going, and going, and going, and going... We passed the city where the building was, and kept driving west. I started getting curious, 'how far west?'. The ETA didn't show on the main screen, nor did the mileage to destination. I had to hit another key, and saw on the screen that the crazy system had me driving to Santa Barbara California!!! Same address, but WTH!!! And we paid extra for that 'service' (and got a credit when I complained). It totally blew me away how bad it was. The 'system' KNEW I was in CT, but thought I would want to rent a car for the weekend, and just drive to California. (Sure. Did it twice last week)

Never Lost became 'Ever Lost', and I was glad that Hertz dropped charges for it in cars, and I think they dropped the whole thing (down a deep hole, I hope).

But anyway...

It can always be worse...

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
As bad as it might be, it's never as bad as Hertz's 'Never Lost' system. I was in Connecticut, and punched in an address, and we were off. I knew, very generally, where I was going, but no more than 'West', really... Se we started off heading west. And going, and going, and going, and going... We passed the city where the building was, and kept driving west. I started getting curious, 'how far west?'. The ETA didn't show on the main screen, nor did the mileage to destination. I had to hit another key, and saw on the screen that the crazy system had me driving to Santa Barbara California!!! Same address, but WTH!!! And we paid extra for that 'service' (and got a credit when I complained). It totally blew me away how bad it was. The 'system' KNEW I was in CT, but thought I would want to rent a car for the weekend, and just drive to California. (Sure. Did it twice last week)

Never Lost became 'Ever Lost', and I was glad that Hertz dropped charges for it in cars, and I think they dropped the whole thing (down a deep hole, I hope).

But anyway...

It can always be worse...
I may have to dig out the old Garmin:confused:

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.