Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kevinl2048

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Thanks for confirming. I'm in UK, and I'd much prefer to be using km; I find it hard to relate to miles/feet.
I checked on iOS15 and the setting is still available, so perhaps this is a bug.

Aerofly

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022
I’ve been saying for years that Apple Maps needed multiple stops, and at last I’m happy. I like the way they’ve used them as effectively ‘waypoints’ rather than stops, as you can drive straight through.

I wish Google would take a leaf from Apple Maps and make their stops as ‘waypoints, as I hate having to use the ‘continue’ button to resume routing. I know it’s only a small point, but it really bugs me.

What would be nice would be to be able to choose between the point on the map being a ‘stop’ or a ‘waypoint’.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I’ve been saying for years that Apple Maps needed multiple stops, and at last I’m happy. I like the way they’ve used them as effectively ‘waypoints’ rather than stops, as you can drive straight through.

I wish Google would take a leaf from Apple Maps and make their stops as ‘waypoints, as I hate having to use the ‘continue’ button to resume routing. I know it’s only a small point, but it really bugs me.

What would be nice would be to be able to choose between the point on the map being a ‘stop’ or a ‘waypoint’.
The only thing I don't like is sometimes the geofence for the stop is too tight, so if you don't go through just the right area, it doesn't register, so when you leave, it routes you back to where you were.

Reactions: MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
As the Detailed Experience release for Chicago gets closer (I’m assuming. The splash screen that popped up earlier in the beta cycle mentioned Chicago and Vegas, so it would make sense for them to be there on release!)…I’m trying to put pieces together to make a guess just how far the coverage will…well cover.

ALL of the Chicago metro area counties were covered during the backpack data collection. Assuming I’m correct, I believe the other cities detailed experience covers most, if not all, of the areas where they also did backpack collection.

I sent in a few corrections on Maps in my area a few days ago, and they have ALL been addressed already. I’ve never had corrections handles so quickly before.

There’s also been some additions and changes to the map in my area. They added ponds that weren’t originally displayed on the map. More bike paths have been added to the map. The “weights” of some roads also seem to have changed. However, they have still not yet removed from the map a golf course that now has a neighborhood built in its place. The map just shows the roads and 3D models on top of the golf course 😂

The coverage area would have to cover a considerably larger area than Chicago’s current Look Around release does to include the area I live in, but if backpack collection data is related to this feature at all…I could see it happening. (Add in the fact that some, but not all, of the detailed experience cities have had the detail cover a larger area than Look Around did). Regardless, I’ll find out hopefully within the next week! As for the custom 3D models for the city experience…I’m definitely excited to see how Chicago turns out. Just looking at how many buildings currently have more detail than the others…it should be a pretty cool looking release! I imagine the models for the Vegas Strip will be pretty cool as well!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Given the big mile(haha)stone…I’d hope they have something big in mind for this. Large scale Look Around releases for the US and other countries that don’t already have full coverage? The announcement of an even larger list of upcoming countries to receive new data than we already know about? A “One more thing” surprise?

Don’t mind me, just excitedly thinking of possibilities!

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Given the big mile(haha)stone…I’d hope they have something big in mind for this. Large scale Look Around releases for the US and other countries that don’t already have full coverage? The announcement of an even larger list of upcoming countries to receive new data than we already know about? A “One more thing” surprise?

Don’t mind me, just excitedly thinking of possibilities!

I hope Apple will take advantage of this day to promote Maps. What could be better than massively releasing look around in the United States and other countries. Announce the next countries that will have the new map data and the detailed city experience between January and June 2023. I think Apple needs to talk more about its mapping application to change preconceived ideas about this application, which is improving over time.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I hope Apple will take advantage of this day to promote Maps. What could be better than massively releasing look around in the United States and other countries. Announce the next countries that will have the new map data and the detailed city experience between January and June 2023. I think Apple needs to talk more about its mapping application to change preconceived ideas about this application, which is improving over time.
I sure hope so! 10 years is a big milestone to just let slip by. Heck, I think a massive Look Around release ALONE would be satisfying enough for that. But yeah, since we already have a list of countries upcoming and we have a list of cities that are set to get the detailed experience by the end of the year...I agree it would be nice to have a roadmap for what to expect after this year's releases are done. That would be much better than hearing nothing until WWDC.

Given that they have really seemed to pick up the pace...I could imagine another announcement coming.

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
I’m hoping the new iPhones will finally have dual frequency GNSS for significantly improved accuracy. But I’m not holding my breath!

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
Looking at the tech specs of the 14 Pro, it does have dual frequency GPS.

Nice one, thanks for this. I was following the live text on here and saw the new Watch Ultra had dual frequency but nothing was mentioned in the text re the the phone. Shame it hasn’t been rolled out to all models but at least it’s a first step (which I wasn’t expecting!).

It’ll be interesting to see how the improved accuracy plays with the detailed mapping in CarPlay-will it be able to identify which lane you’re in for instance?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Given that Chicago and Las Vegas are likely to be available on release (based on the Maps splash screen)…what are we thinking? Released tomorrow which would line up with past Maps releases? Or released on Monday, coinciding with iOS 16’s release?

I’ll put my guess in for tomorrow along with the slight possibility for the release of the new Maps for Israel, Palestinian Territories, and Saudi Arabia.

Either way, we’re close!!!

Reactions: Benni14

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Totally forgot that I'm flying out tomorrow afternoon for a business trip....really hoping I can catch most of the event for SOME sort of Maps announcement. Please!!!

I had to watch from a plane too. Nothing for Maps. I think that further buttresses my long standing thinking that North American Continental Look Around is coming with RealityOS. I don’t see them doing this for the iPad event.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
940C5BA5-7B97-4304-9D28-09D2F09C8B22.jpeg
4A1BE8F8-9430-468A-A803-5E0D6F1FFBA9.jpeg

Apple released the city experience in Chicago and Las Vegas.

Last edited:

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Up to 355
Craaaaap 😂 So the city I live in isn’t included. But…that means the one I work in IS, so hopefully it pops up in time for me to drive home, since I’ll be in the coverage area for a little bit!

Thanks!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
View attachment 2059103
So that you have a more precise idea.
Alright, they kept it to the Look Around footprint, then! That Look Around coverage doesn’t look like it expanded at all. Alright!

Yeah I had that small hope they were going to cover more than Look Around did (if I’m not mistaken, that’s what happened with SF, LA, and NYC).

Oh well, at least I get to try it out for a portion of the to/from work drive! That’ll tide me over!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I was able to experience a few miles of the Chicago detailed city experience on my way home from work today. So here’s my opinion:

1. Based on that few miles…I’m a fan! It was really cool to see that level of detail.
2. Based on what happens at the “cut-off” point…I think it proves that this will eventually be expanded (nationwide, hopefully)! The interchange I use to get on the highway to go home is right at the boundary of where the city experience ends. The way to get onto the interstate is to take an on-ramp to a state highway and then from there, you take another ramp that gets you onto the interstate. After getting onto the interstate, I managed to go maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile before the city experience ended and then cut back to the regular data. It was a little jarring. But this is where I think it proves that it will be expanded. Looking at the detail…it kept going. Long past where the imagery actually cut off. So while there was a point where the map says the detail ends…if you were to stop at that point and look ahead, the detail is still there.

Hopefully point 2 made sense. Wasn’t sure how best to phrase way to phrase it other than “it’s there but it’s not there”. You could look at any city that has the detailed experience, find the boundary where it cuts off, but see that the detail DOES in fact continue beyond that point…until you physically move the map past the boundary. So it IS there. It’s just not “there” 😂

Regardless, for the couple miles of my drive to and from work that I get to experience it…I like it.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
I have tried a few multi stop routes and I have issues/bugs I run into.

1. I have had it quit, crash, or just forget what it was doing several times. I expect its crash, since none of the stops were stored as recents when I went to restart. This happened whether I “paused” or not. It’s a bit buggy.
  2. The bug I had on iOS 15 persists, when I add a stop, it adds it to the beginning, but the zoom stays in route overview and I can’t see driving detail, which also means no speed limits, stop signs, etc. Eventually passing past a few auto zoom points (intersections) fixes it after a few miles of driving. Trying to manually switch it back with the route overview detail button doesn’t work, just rotates the map with no zooming.
When multi stop works it’s great.

Blindside

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Does someone know if maps is zooming out more in Carplay during higher speeds? When I drive on the Autobahn, the maximum that the autozoom goes away is about 1km to the horizon, while my in-car navigation zooms out to about 50km to the horizon.

I can also only adjust the zoom 2 times, if I zoom out 3-4 times, it jumps back to default zoom after a few seconds. Additionally, the zoom resets after each direction.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Given that Maps releases seem to be likely on Thursdays, and that they have been in testing for a while (since early August, if I remember correctly)...I'm going to throw a guess out and say we might see Israel, Palestinian Territories, and Saudi Arabia get released today. 🤔

Reactions: Benni14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.