Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps received a major overhaul in iOS 15 and in addition to new details in cities, an interactive globe, and enhanced driving directions, there are a handful of other smaller features that are available.

arrive-by-maps.jpg

When getting directions in the Maps app, there's a new feature that lets you choose a time to arrive or a time to leave, which lets you get prospective commute lengths ahead of time.

If you tap on "Leaving Now" next to "My Location" when getting directions to a specific spot, you can choose to get directions with a "Leave at" or "Arrive by" time that lets you select dates and times to leave at or arrive by.

This is a feature that's long been available for Google Maps, but until now, there was no way to get estimated travel times in advance of a trip using the Apple Maps app.

Other new Maps features include 3D road level perspectives for complex interchanges, step-by-step augmented reality directions when walking, a redesigned transit experience, new place cards with updated info about businesses, improved search functionality, and a dedicated Maps user profile for reporting issues, selecting favorites, and choosing a preferred mode of transit.

Article Link: Apple Maps Lets You Set Leaving or Arrival Times When Getting Directions in iOS 15

Last edited:

gujuc

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
This is the one thing I wish Apple would do. Have their own reviews and ratings service built right into maps

They have built in their own recommendation system (you can even upload your own photos). It's not perfect and it's nowhere near say Google Maps on number of ratings (also, no reviews, just thumbs up or down), but it's a welcome improvement.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Can we add future transit routes to Calendar, or at least save them in Maps for getting reminders and checking them later? Google Maps allows this and it’s the only reason I keep that evil app.

DrTwoFish

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I really, really want a way to make a custom route, even if I had to do it on Mac and transfer it. It drives me crazy there's no way to do that; I want to be able to design my path (say I know a set of back roads I want to take), then have it remind me of turns and alert me to traffic. Google's web-based drag & drop interface is exactly what I'm looking for, but synced to nav.

ignatius345

macrumors 601
Aug 20, 2015
One more important wish for me would be routing with intermediate stops.
This would be huge. Also would love the ability to just "pause" directions. I can't count how many times I've just wanted to pull off the road to hit up a store or something and have to quit out of my current route and restart it later (or listen to a million prompts trying to reroute me when I'm literally just going to a drivethru for a minute).

JippaLippa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2013
I was very glad to see Italy getting support for the advanced features soon.
A city like our capital, Rome, could benefit greatly from the enhancements to apple maps that were shown today

Reactions: dreyp82

Wildkraut

macrumors 68030
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
STOKED for this. Only reason I keep Google Maps on my phone!
Here it’s the multi language support, which Apple Maps poorly supports.
Ever listened to a Englisch, German configured Siri trying to speak out an Italian, French, Portuguese address or road names?

Try this out, if you want to laugh a bit…

Reactions: joecomo

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Here it’s the multi language support, which Apple Maps poorly supports.
Ever listened to a Englisch, German configured Siri trying to speak out an Italian, French, Portuguese address or road names?

Try this out, if you want to laugh a bit…
At least they are consistent - that way you learn how to “correctly” pronounce it, so Siri can understand you

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildkraut

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I was very glad to see Italy getting support for the advanced features soon.
A city like our capital, Rome, could benefit greatly from the enhancements to apple maps that were shown today
If they get the basics right - in 2013 it was proposing some suicidal routes in Italy - luckily we survived

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.